Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Truthful Tuesday: What's old is, well, still old. But cool again!

 

So full chaps seem to be making a comeback... Or at least they are up here in New England for winter time. (They are SO much warmer than breeches and boots!) So while I was at my mom's the other night for Passover, I did a little digging in her garage and found my old Journeymans. I didn't really expect they would fit. I was measured for these roughly 100 years ago when I was still in high school. (I think maybe 1995 or 1996.) Probably 15-20 lbs ago... But guess what!


I got in them! They're a little snug, and could use some conditioning... but I think I could ride in them next winter. (Assuming I don't get any larger. Which... could happen.) They're really stained, and I can't seem to get them any cleaner than this. But whatever, they're not for showing. I still love the details on them:


I used to wear these with jeans, and there's no chance I'd fit in them with jeans on at this stage of my life... But I also don't have any desire to let jeans touch my saddles, so breeches will be just fine. 
And that's my confession today: I can still fit in my old chaps!

Do you have anything from long ago that you still use, or wish you still had? I also found my middle finger crop, but I'm saving that for a future Thursday's Threads... I wish they still made those, but am pretty happy I found my original!


10 comments:

  1. My chaps shrank in their many years of storage. As did my boots, breeches, jacket, etc. I hate it when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! I know that feeling all too well. These are definitely... ahem.... smaller than they used to be... But I got in!

      Delete
  2. That is AMAZING. While I can still fit in some t shirts from my high school days (that were large and baggy on me then and now like skintight lol), pants would be a no go 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fine line between fitting, and stuffing yourself in there like a sausage casing... I'd say these are closer to the sausage casing...

      Delete
  3. i've been trying to relive my 90s horse gift vibe lately too by way of bright yellow leather gloves. if i ever had a good pair of full chaps that fit, i'd be back in them too lol.... LOVE it haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 90's ruled!!! I remember the yellow gloves everyone had! Those and the crochet ones.

      Delete
  4. those brought back some memories. I used to ride in chaps in the winter too. I believe I gave mine away. Now I'm all about the thermal breeches. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't found thermal breeches I love.... but imagine thermal breeches WITH chaps?! That sounds warm.

      Delete
  5. I loved full chaps! I still have some (not custom), but I haven't tried them on in a while. I wonder if they fit? I found a pair with fringe in consignment several years ago that I loved. Not custom or anything, but still nice. I should try them on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally wish these had fringe! I remember when I ordered them I didn't want fringe because I wanted then to be classy. I was a lot more mature in my youth than I am now. Lol!

      Delete