Wednesday, April 13, 2022

What's Up Wednesday

 

Big news! I got back on Shiny yesterday for the first time, and again today. She's feeling good! I have to keep her in the indoor for another couple of days though. I stupidly only ordered her one hoof boot, so now I'm waiting for the other to arrive so we can walk out to the outdoor ring. We're just walk-trotting right now, but I will probably let her canter in the next day or two as long as she continues to feel sound. I don't want to over do it with her. She's feeling sound, but the leg is still holding on to some of the swelling, and I don't want to over stress it while it's healing. So baby steps, but we're moving in the right direction! 

Pammon is up to 16 minutes of trotting this week and I have him scheduled for a recheck I think next week. Hoping we can start adding some canter in soon! His canter is so lovely and I miss it. All in good time though. In other Pammon news, he's shedding tons every day and starting to look less feral. I really need to give him a bath though. He's still holding onto the smelly yet lovable uncle character he morphed into during his sabbatical. 

Eros has been a little sassy lately! He was shockingly good for his lesson last week, so that was lovely. We even did a line without any near death experiences. This week though... so much sass. I mean, it's Eros sass, so it's not actually a lot. But he's just excited. Lessons are still inside, but the outdoor ring is open for flatting so we've been out there this week. And he's EXCITED. Like, he actually spooked a little both yesterday and today, and then proceeded to be the heaviest animal in all the land afterwards. He doesn't really do anything wrong, and I wouldn't say he's running off with me... But I also can't let go of his face or he torpedoes around the arena on his front end with a 21 foot stride. Not ideal. The bright side is that he's forward on the flat, and some of his moves are amazing. Like the extended trot when I'm holding that front end up (as I need to do to stop the torpedo) is CRAZY.  And SO fun! Even the collected trot feels explosive (but in a good way). I bet there's a piaffe in there, but I have no idea how to ask for it. Dressage friends? How do you ask for it? (He does have a dressage background, I'm not just making up crazy things, I swear!) Anyway... Lesson tomorrow, thankfully indoors since he absolutely would run off with me outside right now. Hopefully it goes well! And if not? It will still be fun. 'Cause it's Eros.

And then there's Al! He's perfect. A total doofus, but so perfect. Our Friday lesson last week was with a prospective new assistant trainer, and he definitely put his best foot forward. Kid knows how to make a good impression. And then Sunday's lesson was our first with the BO since she got back from Florida. It was a great lesson. After warming up over a few fences we did a small course that was a straight line in five, then two bending lines also in fives. Once we completed that, we kept cantering back around to do everything in six strides. Al was easily closing up the fives, so I was REAL concerned the sixes weren't going to happen. But he was just right there and everything worked out nicely. He's such an interesting horse because you can tell he's green. He's a wiggly little baby worm who thinks contact is boring, but then he's also ridiculously adjustable. You don't see it coming! But it's a lot of fun. 

Sorry for the lack of media again. My lesson times are generally when there aren't many spectators hanging around so I don't have videographers. If nothing else, we'll have more Eros and Shiny media soon once they're home!

In other news, I got back on my ladder for the first time since the incident... You know, that day I fell off my ladder braiding a tail and likely tore my meniscus? I mean, I've stood on ladders since then, but I haven't had any braiding jobs. I got a text the other day from a local quarter horse barn. They were doing a photo shoot this week and needed a couple of horses braided for it. I just paid my taxes, so a little extra cash sounded good to me! They came out okay. I'm a little rusty. Hopefully they look pretty enough for their photos though! 


That's about it from here... Oh! Unless any of you need some schooling breeches? I have MANY(24!) pairs for sale on my personal FB page, all prices negotiable. Mostly size 30's but a few 28's in there too. Please buy my pants! Photos here, but pricing and descriptions are on FB because I'm too lazy to copy that over. If we're not friends, just send a request!







8 comments:

  1. So glad to hear Shiny is feeling good!!! What a relief. Fingers crossed that swelling keeps going down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wasn't too worried about it, but ya know... you still worry.

      Delete
  2. Yay for all the riding, and that everyone is doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that Shiny feels better. And that rusty braid job- if I did that I'd be bragging to everyone I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we def need more media tho lol.... glad the ponies are well!

    ReplyDelete