Wednesday, April 27, 2022

What's Up Wednesday

 

This week we had a vet appointment Friday which made me miss one of my Al lessons, but it was worth it! It was a double vet day, meaning that the horses got their second round of spring vaccines AND saw the lameness vet. The only trouble with that was we couldn't do any needed injections the same day as vaccines. So it was just a diagnostic day. 

Pammon had his suspensory scanned and things are really looking great. It's a lot smaller than on the last scan and the bony area at the attachment has healed really well. So all good news on that front! He still needs to keep working on his core to protect his back better, but we're definitely working in the right direction and shows a lot of improvement. He is still mildly back sore, but so much better than he was last spring. So things are going well with him! AND we've been given permission to add some canter into our rides. Not only that, but he needs to start doing some lateral work too. So basically, more or less regular flat rides. Canter we have to add in slowly, so for now we're just doing a lap of the ring each direction. Next week we'll add a second one and build from there. VERY exciting though! 

Eros also saw the lameness vet on Friday. He's not been lame, but I feel like he's about ready for some maintenance. Doc was really pleased with how he looks, but did agree that he's due for some injections. I'm working on getting that scheduled at my house. Hopefully soon! He had a good week otherwise, and was mildly less crazy in our outdoor lesson on Thursday... He still was spicy, but not quite as much as the week before. Thankfully! My poor arms... Lol!

unrelated photo of Rita exploring the neighborhood

Shiny did not get to see the lameness vet, but our other vet who has been helping me with the hoof drama checked on her. I am concerned that the leg still has fill, and so he's going to come back on Friday to ultra sound it to make sure nothing else happened in there. I'm still riding her lightly, and she mostly feels good, but I'll feel a lot better once we check it out a little more fully. Fingers crossed it's just from the healing it's doing in the foot. 

Despite missing our Friday lesson (just due to timing, Al wasn't on the lameness vet list), he came out ready to work for Sunday's lesson. We were back outside and there were none of the shenanigans we had the first time out there. He's really just the coolest horse. I can't wait to get to some horse shows with him! (I can't believe I'm saying that! EEEK!) All of the good riding juniors were out riding in the ring during my lesson, and they were all so complimentary about Al. Most of them haven't really seen us jump, or at least haven't since the winter. It's always a good feeling to hear nice things about your horse, isn't it?


This week I decided to try Pammon's saddle on Al. It would just be a lot easier if he can share with Pammon while the two of them are in the same location, rather than me dragging Eros' saddle back and forth. Neither of them fit him all that well, so I figured I'd see how he feels. I actually like Pammon's on him a bit better, so hopefully that's going to work out until I can get Al his own. (Trying to schedule the saddle fitter is harder than finding a saddle it seems...)

That's about the extent of what's happening over here. Did you all have a good week and weekend? Do anything fun and exciting?

6 comments:

  1. aw Al always looks so good! glad the rest of the ponies are doing well too, and that nothing super dramatic or worrisome showed up with the vet appts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I enjoy a vet visit that doesn't have any surprises!

      Delete
  2. Al's looking super good! Yay to being able to jump again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just love him so much, I still can't believe he found his way to me.

      Delete
  3. I’m glad that Pammon is on the road to recovery. And I’m excited about the show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am too. I forgot how amazing his canter is, it's been almost a year since I've ridden it!
      No shows on the calendar just yet, but I'm officially THINKING about getting out there. Lol...

      Delete