Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Truthful Tuesday

 

So apparently, it takes two to pull? My trainer growing up always told me this, and it seemed true enough, but I grew up riding thoroughbreds and tb crosses, and they aren't all that interested in pulling. So I never really thought much about it. But now that I have Eros The Torpedo, I realize how true that statement is. 

I jumped him last week and was having a bit of a struggle with him dragging me around again. He rides well to the jumps it's after that's tricky. Trying to contain that enormous stride is a real challenge and it makes me want to pull. 

Exhibit A: Me pulling.

Because that's where the brakes are right? So I figured maybe it was time for a school in the Pletcher bit which happened to be on his figure 8 bridle. In the past, one or two schooling sessions in this bit tends to lighten him back up.  But it wasn't working this time. And then I thought back to how he was so strong at every lesson before we moved home and I had a small epiphany. I think he hates the figure 8. So this week, I switched that bit over to a regular noseband bridle and I had a different horse. He still wanted to be a little strong and get excited after the jumps, but he was much lighter. But that's not the only thing I noticed.

Exhibit B: Me not pulling

If I would use my actual half halt, that is take and give back, he actually was listening to me. He doesn't mind if I pull back as long as I release. And the softer I an in front of the jump, the softer he is when he lands. I am not such a good rider that I can achieve this if the distance is one I need to shorten for. That's still a work in progress. But the first step is acknowledging a problem right? So now I know what we need to work on. And pulling isn't it! Because as it turns out... the pulling problem is me.


2 comments:

  1. You were lucky to not ride Tbs that pulled lol I think most of the ones I rode did which a well timed drop usually disabused them of the notion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the ones I sat on were pretty light normally. But they did respond well to the sudden drop if they weren't! Eros though, that doesn't work. I can't explain it, but he just sort of keeps taking.

      Delete