Wednesday, June 9, 2021

What's Up Wednesday

 

It was a lovely week here, though a bit steamy...

Shiny after literally a 15 minute flat ride. Poor abused pony.

My cousin who lives in Japan was visiting NYC for two reasons. First, his oldest son who goes to boarding school here in the states is looking at colleges. The second reason is that vaccination roll out is pretty terrible in Japan, so he came back for his shot. They were visiting Yale on Thursday, so we planned a visit for that afternoon. It's so nice that travel is getting back up and running so we can see family again! 

The horses got to see their bodyworker on Monday and both got really good reports! Neither had any issues related to saddle fit. 


Eros had his usual stuff, but much improved from the last visit. And our doctor commented on his coat and general condition looking better. I haven't been happy with his topline so we talked about sharing some of Shiny's ration balancer with him to see if that helps. Shiny didn't have much off at all and doc felt that her neck was in much better shape than ever before. So all good news! Yesterday, when I asked her to pick up trot, she actually trotted off straight instead of bulging through her left shoulder. I'm not naive enough to think that will last, but it was lovely to experience at least once!

Otherwise, the horses have had a good week. We haven't been working super hard since we're in the midst of a five day heat wave. Thankfully Friday wasn't too hot though, because both horses earned themselves a lengthy ride. Eros was just being spooky for no good reason, but he did humble up pretty quickly. He's no dummy. Shiny on the other hand... We had a back to basics sort of ride. All I wanted from her was a circle in each corner at the trot. And she could NOT get it done. You guys. It took us an hour to get to a decent stopping point. AN HOUR. Of trotting circles. It was exhausting. Ponies. She did end in a good place though, and I really think the lesson stuck with her as she was jumping a lot better the next day. Both horses had a short and sweet jump school Saturday. Both were pretty good. Eros even got to jump a 2'6" vertical! Moving on up! (Shiny did the 2'3" oxer! Mountains! We're jumping mountains! Or maybe ant hills. Whatever.)

2'6"! There are actual divisions we could show at this height!

2'3"! And I'm happy to report it was easy for her from both the
good spot and the tight one. So 2'6" will likely be in her future.

Since both horses are going nicely over fences for the time being, I figured it was time we start re introducing related distances. Thus, Monday I moved all the jumps around for a new course. 


We won't start playing with it until Thursday this week though, as they are getting their feet done today. Plus the heat. Tomorrow should be cooler. I set up mostly single fences again, but also a four stride line on the outside. I set it for the horse stride, and Shiny can do the add. Also, for the first session, I set the jumps super low so we can trot in and canter out to get started. I just want everything to be unexciting and easy as we move along. I'm all about minimizing my own anxiety and setting us all up for success. So far it's been working so hopefully it will keep on!

Sunday was a funday in which we did a 15 minute bareback/sidepull walk and then went out for snackies in the side yard. 

despite having delicious grass available, Eros prefers to
eat as close to the barn as possible. Which is mostly weeds. 
Weirdo.

Pammon is acclimating well out in his field with his buddy. Though he is being a little pushy with his friend. The first day they were thick as thieves:
But ever since then Pammon chases his friend away when I come to visit. And his friend quickly leaves, so I do think Pammon is being a little bit of a jerk. His friend doesn't have any marks on him or anything, so I don't think anyone is getting hurt, but it does make me sad they aren't best friends. They both seem happy enough in general though, so maybe it's just me that it bothers. Am I THAT mom now? Pammon's buddy has stood up for himself at least, as evidenced by this bitey face mark on Pammon:
I'm confident he asked for that. Lol!

I did braid one pony last weekend, so I am sort of earning my keep around here:

And I have a bunch for this weekend coming up. Definitely glad this side gig is a thing! There is a pretty serious braider shortage around the country so if I really needed I can pick up a lot of work. Most of it isn't local though which is tough with the farm. Nice to have the option though! 

The most exciting part of the week though?? 
The Snack Shack is open for the season! The first day I went though, I was told they were struggling to find lobster and didn't have any. Can you believe it?! No lobster? Fortunately, he sent me a text on Saturday that they were back in lobster roll business. THANK GOODNESS! All is right in my world once more. 
 
And lastly, I finally found a pool company that would both answer their phone and are available to open/service my pool. So after two years of being closed, it is scheduled to open today. It will take a few visits to get it useable I'm sure. Assuming everything is in working order... But I'm excited to get it going again. It's long past time as shown by the eco system living on the cover right now:


Did you all have a good week? How's the weather where you are? (Not you TX, I know you're soggy!)

10 comments:

  1. OMG! What is it with pool people?!?! We open ours ourselves (we do pay to get it closed so we don't mess anything up) but we needed to get the pump replaced this year. Many, many phone calls later, we FINALLY got someone to call us back, and they had a pump available. Cause yeah, there is a shortage of pumps and filters right now, too. We are limping our current filter along for now because no one has one. Its like we are saying hello, please take our money, and no one wants it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UGH! Well, update, they didn't show. So um... still asking this question, what IS up with pool people?!

      Delete
  2. exciting that the horses are doing so well with getting back into a good jumping groove!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my great friends from Grad School is Japanese and lives and works in Tokyo and we were surprised on the grad school zoom when she basically said the Japanese are anti-vaxxers. She is a dual citizen and will probably come back for the vaccine as well since her dad lives in the US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so surprised! I feel like the Japanese are generally really on top of things.
      Interesting though, my cousin said he thinks in Asia people seem to have a decent amount of natural immunity against this virus based on their Covid-19 data. Not that they aren't getting and spreading it as they clearly are, but they are able to fight it off more easily with significantly less severe illness and death. So I think it just feels less urgent over there.

      Delete
  4. Weather by me in the PNW is mid 60s, we've had some sunny day streaks where it nearly got to 80 but they are few and far between.

    I miss lobster rolls, having grown up in CT with family in VT and Maine. Nothing out here compares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lobsters are definitely different out there! And frozen is just never quite the same by the time it ships half way across the country.

      Delete