Wednesday, June 23, 2021

What's Up Wednesday

 


Phew, busy day! My dad and stepmom are back from Florida FINALLY so I got to pick them up this afternoon at the airport. So glad to have them back nearby. That meant I couldn't putz around all day and instead got the horses ridden early. Of course, the one day I ride early is the same day that someone on the other side of the woods from me was doing some kind of construction. So noisy. Much spooking. BUT ALSO, this little turtle mama laid some eggs in my ring while I was riding Eros:

He was so busy spooking at the woods he didn't notice her until he'd already passed her by no less than 10 times. And then he stopped dead in his tracks to snort at her. So silly. 


The horses were good this past week though, and we got both of our jumps schools in. I already mentioned yesterday Eros' feelings on the figure 8, so I'll be avoiding that from now on. So for our first jump day he was a bit of a torpedo (with the figure 8), but on day 2 he was pretty wonderful. Here's some video evidence:





Shiny was great jumping both days this week. Sunday was interesting though. She was ridiculously quiet, which isn't always the best thing when trying to jump her. She has some room for improvement when it comes to listening to my leg (and spur... and whip...) so when she's quiet like that it can be a little.... angsty. But Sunday, despite her being sluggish, she really jumped well. She was slow off the ground (as a hunter should be) and did a nice job picking her shoulder and knees up. I had to sacrifice her shape before the fences some as any sort of extra mouth contact would certainly cause problems with that pony on that day, but I wasn't too bothered by it since she wasn't turning herself inside out. And today she nearly got a flying lead change while flatting! That's a big deal. We've been working more on lateral work, and I think she's really starting to understand it. I can get some decent half pass at the trot now. Just a few steps, but it's in there. Really proud of her. She makes me feel like I'm not a complete idiot. Some video of her too. We don't always get to the best spot, but whatever. 


I went on a little adventure on Friday. As you all know, between my stepmom and I, we have too many horses. I am not looking for more horses even though I don't actually have a show horse in the herd. (Unless you count Pammon, which I do not). But. You know. Sometimes things happen, and you have to see them through. A good friend of mine is a professional with a very small horse business. She has a couple of horses that are hers. One that she's bringing up to the Grand Prix level and one that is a sales horse. And she has a couple of clients. Anyway. That sales horse happens to be out of a mare by Indoctro. Rio was by Indoctro, so I always look twice when I see something closely related to him for sale. EVEN THOUGH I'M NOT SHOPPING FOR HORSES. I can't help it. This particular horse goes very much like Rio did. And his jump is nearly identical, though this guy jumps a bit tidier than my boy did. I was telling my friend how much he reminds me of Rio and she thought so too. I asked his price and upon hearing it, I said it was very much not anything I could ever afford. But she said to come sit on him anyway. She likes her horses to get ridden by different people, especially the sales horses since it's good prep for them. No pressure, and no hard feelings that he's above my pay grade, but maybe we could try and work something out if I really liked him. So I called my investor dad and told him about the horse. He said it's too much money (obviously I agreed) but then he said, go sit on it and see. If it's really special maybe we could work something out. (The whole family has a soft spot for anything Rio.) So I took a two hour drive to visit my friend on Friday.

He jumps 1.3 meters, but I do not.

I loved him. His jump is exactly like Rio's. And he's ridiculously easy, especially being that he's only 6. He is still pretty green between the jumps though. He lands and wants to cut in, which then makes the changes not happen. They are in there though, we got them fine on the flat, so it's a little bit me needing to think ahead better and a little bit him needing more miles. We made an offer on him, but unfortunately, my friend didn't have as much room in his price as she initially thought, so he won't be joining the herd. While disappointing, it was really fun to get to sit on him. It was nice to ride something that didn't drag me around like a small child nor ignore my leg. Made me feel a little better about my riding skillz! It was also wonderful to see my old friend again who I haven't seen in a few years. So not a wasted day by any means.

I spent the rest of the past week braiding a pony and a giant horse:


And prepping the apartment here for its next tenant. Normally I rent it unfurnished and don't need to do anything to it other than make sure it's clean. But this time my dad is renting it for his boat captain, so I have to fill it with furniture, kitchen stuff, etc. Monday I washed all the pots and pans and dishes:

How about those 80's style cabinets, huh??

The rest of this week I'll schlep the rest of the stuff up there. Thankfully, I should be able to furnish it with stuff already here and we won't have to buy anything other than a bed. (I don't keep extra beds lying around, do you?)

I can't remember if I mentioned the difficulty in trying to get my pool opened this year? You've probably heard about the chlorine shortage happening nationwide due to a fire at the factory that produces the majority of it for the US. Well, that shortage means no pool places are taking on new customers. Thankfully, I FINALLY found someone who happens to live just down the road (how about that after like 900000 phone calls to every pool place around). He came today to get the cover off, and will see about getting the pump running and dumping some chemicals in there tomorrow. Fingers crossed there aren't any major issues... In the meantime, how gross does this look after being covered for two years:

ewwww....
I'm stupid excited to get it opened though. I hope to actually use it this year. 

And that's about it from here this week. It's been kind of busy! How was your week? Do anything fun? Shows? Lessons? 

4 comments:

  1. aw good for you for going and trying the horse anyway even tho it didn't seem likely to be feasible. and ugh, i hear you about the 'angsty' feelings when Shiny is being sluggish while jumping.... that's charlie's M.O. while schooling at home and i strongly dislike it lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, I would NEVER waste someone's time like that, but my friend was very insistent that it would be lots of fun and she wouldn't feel put out at all. And it was tons of fun!
      Right? That feeling like ugh, is there enough oomph to get to the other side...

      Delete
  2. Maybe I missed it in a previous post but why can't you show Eros?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not that I can't, but my vet and I both think he'll be limited to the 2'6" to stay sound. And I'd really like to do more eventually.

      Delete