Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Truthful Tuesday

 

For today's confession, I'm just going to whine a little bit about the dentist. I feel like, in general, I mostly handle myself in a somewhat dignified manner. While I may not be winning at adulting completely, (who is though?) I feel like I generally have my shit somewhat together. But man. I struggle with going to the dentist. For awhile it wasn't so bad. I had a great dentist who took his time and was patient with me and things went fine. But then he retired. And I'm not sure how awful the new owners of the practice are but there is very high turnover there. So ever since my dentist retired, it's been a revolving door of dentists and hygienists. I've finally landed on a hygienist that I really like. She's kind and patient and does a great job with minimal gagging on my part. (Sorry, tmi, but seriously, the dentist is a struggle for me.) 

The current issue is the actual dentist. My last cleaning she was away at a conference so I didn't even have to see her. But this time she comes in and starts telling me about all these fillings I need. Then proceeds to stick all kinds of instruments and fingers all up in my face and, well, it was some kind of torture. Next she proceeds to talk down to me like I'm a five year old, repeating herself over and over. I finally looked her in the eye and said, "do you think I ought to find another dentist? Because you're speaking to me like I'm a child a right now." She was clearly taken aback and somewhat changed her tune, but sheesh. I very much do not want to go back there. Like, it's hard enough as it is, and now I also dislike her pretty strongly. 

Honestly, it's 2023, how has science not figured out a better solution for tooth care? Any of you a dentist? Or related to one? Please tell me they're working on better and easier mouth care practices for the future. 

13 comments:

  1. Good for you for sticking up for yourself like that! I have the same problem with mine, and it drives me crazy. After they missed something hot potato-ing me around the staff, I got a little shitty with them about continuity of care. It's not a me thing, either, they do that to everyone. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we both need to find a new dentist! Honestly, I wish they could just knock me out once or twice a year and do all the things that need doing. (Teeth, lady doctor stuff, etc)

      Delete
  2. You're doing better than me, we were using the dentist my husband had been using since he was a child and after he retired we just.... Sort of haven't found anyone new 🙈 this was a good reminder that need to go on my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's better to suffer through it regularly than to end up with a problem. I know because there was a big stretch of time that dental care wasn't on my to do list. Until it was a problem.

      Delete
  3. The day my GP - who's been my doctor since I was three - retires, I'm just not going to get sick again. Ever. That's the plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Good plan! I wish we could make it work that way. I often worry about when my GP retires... But he just found himself a much younger lady and they had a baby... so I think he'll be working awhile longer. Haha!

      Delete
  4. oh man, I don't even want to admit how long it's been since I went to the dentist! the procedures don't really bother me, but I'm afraid the dentist will be super judgy and weird because I haven't been in so long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a real concern! But I'm also sure that's not unusual for them to deal with.
      I honestly don't mind any of the procedures either. It's just that I have a very sensitive gag reflex. Once my mouth is numb they can do whatever they want to me. But if I'm not numb, it's just torture.

      Delete
  5. I recently had to have two root canals thanks to my child's hard head (Teeth 7 and 8 if anyone knows teeth) or my top right from tooth and the one next to it. It was broken into two appointments and I did not enjoy it. I go to the dentist every 6 months and its been years and years since I've had anything more than a cleaning. My dad has a major fear of the dentist and has not been impressed with the care at the office I go to. He was waiting in a chair for over 45 minutes before the dentist ever came in. He had some words with her and ever since then they've been good. However, they keep listing off all of this dental work my dad needs and they are retired and just shy of medicare age, so all of their costs are out of pocket. So they can only afford so much. My husband hasn't been in quite a while because he needs extensive dental work that he really doesn't want to pay for. He didn't really go to the dentist as a child, so a lot of his issues have compounded over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. check with aarp for dental insurance, medicare does not cover dental.

      Delete
    2. It's so expensive! Even with dental insurance, they hardly cover anything.
      I had a root canal years ago, same thing it took a few appointments. This time, I actually don't have any new cavities, but my old fillings have failed so I need to get them redone. I REALLY don't wanna though!

      Delete
  6. My (past) dentist found out about my animal hobbies, adopted a dog from where I work, then proceeded to not follow the instructions for weaning the dog off of meds, referenced "doggy downers" when it was not a sedative and was surprised when the dog struggled as a result. If a medical professional is so dismissive of another medical professional (vet who prescribed the meds and gave the plan) it's a problem. I haven't gone back there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! I wouldn't go back either! As a medical professional, they should know better! Makes you wonder how well they did in dental school... I hope you can find a new one!

      Delete