Monday, July 12, 2021

Arthur Fonzarelli Seidman: The most perfect partial pug there ever was

 


This is a very hard post to draft. Both literally and figuratively because Google photos is the worst. Sheesh. Kicking me while I'm down! So while I had lots of photos I wanted to insert in here, I don't have the patience to get them all on here right now. But I can still share Artie's story, with or without 1000 photos. Probably the condensed version is better for anyone who isn't me anyway.

As most of you probably saw on social media, I had to say goodbye to Artie last night. He was diagnosed last year with heart failure and then last week with lymphoma. I expected more time with him, and was waiting on a call from the oncology department to weigh our options. Unfortunately, his lymph nodes were getting bigger before my eyes this weekend. The stress it was causing on his body was too much for his weak heart, and he was struggling to breath on Sunday when I got in from doing horse things most of the day. He couldn't walk without coughing and was panting pretty heavily when stationary. There was a look in his eye that hurt my heart and so I took him to the emergency room. I wasn't sure they could help him, but couldn't let him struggle like that until Monday. So I brought him. Due to covid, I couldn't go in with him right away and it was the most horribly long wait of my life. Finally they called me. They listed all kinds of tests they could run and things that could be options and that he would need to stay hospitalized. As hard as it was to ask, I choked out the question, "is all of that fair to him?" The answer was essentially no. That if any of those things could help him, it would be very temporary. Artie hated going to the vet. He hated being separated from me and P. The thought of leaving him there to extend his life but leave him in discomfort just wasn't right. I promised him no bad days. The vet assured me that it was the right decision, as he was really struggling at that point. (His anxiety being at the vet wasn't helpful in his condition.) And so that's what we had to do. I was allowed in to say goodbye and hold him until it was over. I told him what a good boy he was his whole life and that his work here was all finished. And that he'd be with me always. I miss him terribly already though. There's a very big hole in my heart. It's amazing it's still functioning since there are so many dog and horse shaped holes in it. P feels it too, so we spent the entire day together. 

But I don't want this post to be all about the sad part. I want to share Artie with all of you today, in all of his amazing partial pugness! I did a DNA test on him to find out what the non pug part of him was, and it was Welsh Corgi! That's what my hunch was so I wasn't surprised by the result.

The very first Artie photo I ever took

A good friend of mine shared Artie's listing to my facebook page back in 2013. But it was terrible timing because I was leaving for VT to show for two weeks. I reached out to the rescue to let them know I was interested, but that I couldn't take him until I returned. They don't hold dogs, which I understood, and so I just hoped he'd still be available when I got home. I filled out the application just in case. As luck would have it, he was still around when I got back, so we set up a meet and greet for him and Pia right away. They got along just fine and I got to take him home that day! They settled in together like they'd known each other forever. 
Artie's first moments home, sitting here with his grandma

Pia and Artie were basically inseparable. I spent most of today going through every photo I've ever taken of him and honestly, there are very few without P by his side. I'm keeping a close eye on my girl, because I know her heart hurts as much, if not more, than mine. 




Artie was probably the most loving, happiest dog I've ever come across. He never met someone who wasn't immediately his best friend, be it a human or a canine. And everyone loved him right back. He always wanted to be with me when I was home and followed me around the house no matter what I was doing (unless I was vacuuming, he hated that). When we switched to working from home last year, he came up to the home office every day with me. Always by my side even when it was sweltering hot or freezing cold up there. I have a low window in that room, so I stuffed a soft duffle bag full of soft stuff so he could sit and look out the window. He loved that! Of course, I guess I never took a photo of him sitting on it. You'll just have to trust me. Mostly, he napped while I worked. But it was nice to have the company all the same. 





Artie LOVED to give kisses, and as a result, our selfies always had LOTS of outtakes. He also had a tongue too big for his mouth, so most photos of him show his tongue sticking out. Pretty endearing if you ask me.




Artie was a good sport whenever I wanted to dress him in ridiculous outfits. He always allowed it, even if he didn't exactly enjoy it. 


That streak in the back is his forever wagging tail.




While he didn't really enjoy outfits, especially silly ones, he DID love toys. He would throw them in the air and catch them, or whip them across the room and play fetch with himself. It was always hilarious.






He also loved rolling. Be it on the carpet, or in the grass. Sometimes he just laid on his back like that's totally normal for a doggo.






But his most favorite thing in the world (besides snacks) was taking walks with his big sister. Even though she sometimes slowed him down. He didn't mind, he'd wait for her. 




Artie hasn't really been able to go for walks the last year because of his heart condition. When I learned of his lymphoma, I immediately ordered a stroller for him. If his life was nearing the end, I wanted to figure out how to let him do his favorite thing. He LOVED the stroller. Unfortunately, we only got to use it twice. But it was definitely his last favorite thing which warms my broken heart just a little. 

Have you ever seen a happier dog? I have not.

I don't know anything about his life before we met, but I know his life since was full of love. Artie was one of the best things that ever happened to me. I'm devastated that our time together has come to an end, but I feel so incredibly lucky to have had him in my life. Next month would have been our 9 year anniversary together, which is a pretty good run. 

24 comments:

  1. I am so, so sorry. Hugs to you and Pia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs <3 I am so sorry, there are no easy ways to say goodbye to them. It's so interesting that he had Corgi in there, I see it now that you say that. He just looks like a pug with a reasonable length nose to me! Love that pic of you in the pink costume, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes, he was like 90% Pug, 10% Corgi. You could see it in his kind of long body, his front legs/feet, and he had a slightly fluffy butt.
      That was from our A Christmas Story themed holiday card. This was an outtake that didn't make the cut though.

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry <\3 Sending all the hugs to you and Pia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well now I'm ugly crying at my desk 😭 he was an amazing dog and his life with you was the best ❤️ hugs to you and Pia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you <3
      He really was a very special boy. I'm so lucky to have met him.

      Delete
  5. So sorry 💜 That last picture is the absolute best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I found a way to make him THAT happy this past week. I just wish I'd gotten him the stroller sooner!

      Delete
  6. You give your animals such great lives and you gave Artie a dignified end when he needed it which is all we can do. I'm sorry for your loss and I really enjoyed all of these great photos and memories you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry. :-( Thanks for sharing some memories and photos of him - he sounds like he was an amazing companion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post, so very sorry for your loss. Artie was so lucky to have found you!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. i said it on facebook and i will say it again you were a great mom to Artie!! Hugs to you and P and everyone who knew Artie. He was very special. Good dog, good dog!! Great photos too!! I know it was hard but you are amazing to give your animal the gift of no pain. I have 8 or 9 (jeezus I need to count) urns on my mantel from all my dogs I have had and I was there for every one of them as they passed. IF someone could come up with a way to let all our dogs live longer I would be happy!! Remember the good times (and the tongue LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you <3
      Seriously! They've got us humans living for like 100 years, so why can't our pups get a little more time too?
      The tongue makes me giggle even now. Such a little jokester he was.

      Delete
  10. I am so sorry. Artie was super cute and I loved the pictures you shared of him an P over the years. You gave him an amazing home (as you do all your animals)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry you didn't get more time in the end. There is never enough. It's obvious how much you loved him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you <3
      I know you know all of these feelings all too well.

      Delete