Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Truthful Tuesday

 

I'm the laziest. Like seriously. My trailer is still attached to my truck... FROM WHEN I BROUGHT THE HORSES HOME IN JUNE! JUNE! In m defense, and I know I've mentioned this before, but I live on the corner of two state roads that are quite busy most of the time. And I have to pull in to the road, then back in whilst turning to get my trailer parked in its spot. I also have to do this when no one else has a car in my driveway. Weekend mornings are best, but my helper is usually here then. So I've just not bothered to do it. Problem is, that also means I haven't driven my truck all summer. Know what happens when you don't drive a vehicle? The battery dies. TRUTH. And believe me, this isn't a new lesson for me. 

In an effort to avoid this, I have run the truck (his name is Jorge, after Jorge Pasada) several times, and I even backed it up with the trailer a couple times to get hay delivered and the manure dumpster emptied. I went to start it last week again when it was cooler out, and it struggled a little but then started right up. I ran it for awhile, then turned it off. Then started it once more later in the day to make sure it was good. Which it seemed to be. But then, on Sunday, I finally was like, okay, I need to unhook the trailer and use the truck this week so I can run it some before hauling horses to their winter home next week. It was a cold rainy day. And trucky was like NOPE! He would NOT turn over. Flat out refused. I even tried again later in the day. It would light up and the radio would come on, but it couldn't turn itself over. Sigh. I figured it must be the battery. I planned to call Monday to have someone out to replace the battery, but it was pouring rain all day and figured no one wanted to deal with that in the rain. So I waited until today. It was a dreary day here, overcast and foggy most of the day, but also really warm. Hit 70 actually for a couple hours. So the guy gets here, and he goes alright show me what it's doing. So I get it in, and wouldn't you know it, Jorge just starts right up! First try! 

The mechanic laughed. Me too honestly. You have to! But I told him, I swear it wouldn't start the other day, and the only difference was that it was cold. So he agreed it was likely the battery. Low batteries hate the cold. So we swapped out the more corroded of the two. Jorge started up even better than the time before, so I'm pretty confident he got what he needed. Time will tell of course. My luck it won't start when I need it to, but I'll for sure get the trailer unhooked in the next few days and drive the truck around a bit. 

Anyone else just ignore past lessons? Like I knew this would happen, but I let it happen anyway. Just me? 

9 comments:

  1. i'm so behind in commenting rn it's not even funny... but this post spoke to my soul lol. my truck just lives at the barn, connected to the trailer full time. sitting under a tree. and i have killed so many batteries. so so many, dear lord :(

    i used to try to run it like once a week for 20min.... but somebody told me that in order for the battery to actually charge up while idling (after the draw it takes to turn over), it'd have to idle for like 1hr+. that actually, by turning it on only to idle for 15-20min, then turning it off, was a net negative for the battery. driving it around for 20min (minimum) is what it really takes if you're going to even turn the thing on.... so i've kinda adapted my maintenance plan --- and only really turn it on when i plan on literally driving it somewhere, even if it's just a lap or two around the neighborhood. turns out this is better for all the various parts too. or at least... so i've been told LOL

    another person told me there are solar dashboard panels you can buy at reasonable prices on amazon that plug directly into the truck and help keep the thing charged... but again, mine is under a tree, ugh, so that's not an avenue i've pursued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! YES! I know this too. And yet, do I drive the thing around? Honestly I would have if I had unhooked the trailer. But since I didn't.... Hahahaha. The best part about being an adult is I can be irresponsible when I'm only hurting myself (and my wallet). Mine is also parked under a tree. Which is also not good for it. What can ya do?

      Delete
    2. What to do??? Lol close my eyes, pinch my nose, and buy a new battery every 2 yrs hahasob ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

      Delete
  2. You should get your battery connections swapped out for quick connect/disconnect terminal ends. Then just disconnect your batteries when you aren't going to use the truck for extended periods. I've done this with great success, even living in the land of 6 month winters. Your battery ends up fully charged and then it's not possible for anything to draw on it since they are disconnected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we used to do this for our old Dodge that we only ever used for hauling. Worked like a charm!

      Delete
    2. You guys are brilliant! I'll look into this. Of course, I'd first have to accept that I wasn't planning to drive the truck... It really wasn't my intention to not use it. I had planned to go to some horse shows, and do all kinds of fun things... but then I didn't.

      Delete
  3. hahahahhahhahah not laughing at you but with you. But glad you got him going again but that is a LONG time to have your trailer hooked up HAHAHAHHA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was worried they might have rusted themselves together. But I did actually unhook today and both truck and trailer seem to be just fine... Well the trailer is. The truck still needs new wipers and is about ready for an oil change... Not to mention the four recalls on it... I've really been a terrible adult lately.

      Delete