Wednesday, October 19, 2022

What's Up Wednesday

 


Another week of Autumn in New England! It's like riding a weather roller coaster. We've gotten more consistent rain than we had for the summer, which is nice. And it's actually worked out so that I was able to ride around it this week meaning the ponies got worked all six days and no one got wet in the process! I call that a win. But the temps have been all over the place. The horses have worn every article of clothing in their wardrobes I think just this week alone. There was one day that they started in sheets, switched to 100 grams, and were in the fuzzy lined 160 grams at night check. Okay, so they haven't worn heavies yet... But still. They've had MANY outfit changes. It's ridiculous! It's currently 37 degrees outside but fear not, 60's for the weekend! Nuts.

Anyway, on to the ponies! We left off last week with my postponing Shiny's jump day. We got lucky with the weather we were supposed to get last Thursday and I was actually able to jump her around that day. I set everything at 2' and she was a perfect girl. She doesn't jump the cutest at that height, kind of just canters over, but I don't mind that at all. 


I just want her to be a willing pony who is enjoying the job. And she was that for me last Thursday. I didn't end up jumping again over the weekend, we just had some nice flat rides. And Sunday we got to have Sunday funday. I rode a little longer than usual in the bareback pad, and then we went out for grass for awhile. I watched quite a few of the Medal Finals rounds while Shiny ate grass. Lovely way to spend a Sunday!
And on Tuesdays apparently we drink from puddles. 
And then splash in them. With both feet.

She had body work on Monday which she was very much in need of. Tuesday was an easy stretchy day. I like to do that after body work generally, and especially this time because she had quite a few adjustments. She felt so much straighter and was also a lot happier to move forward. Some horses I don't feel much difference if they get body work, but she and Eros really benefit from it. Today she had a tougher flat school where I actually asked for stuff. The HORROR! But she was great, and I'm hoping to jump her again maybe tomorrow if the wind isn't as crazy as it was today. (Still with the wind. What is this? Kansas?)

Speaking of Eros... He's perfect as always. He appears to be feeling some seasonal blahs... or something. 
Like, he's just super unmotivated:
But really, once he gets going, he's wonderful. I think I mentioned last week that he's feeling ready for some maintenance. The body worker saw him Monday and agreed that what she was seeing and feeling pointed at some front end stuff. He's not lame or anything, just feeling a little creaky. But honestly, after getting worked on, he feels like a whole new horse. Tuesday he wanted to stretch the whole ride, so I let him. Today I picked him up and asked him to work and he was fantastic. I wish I could get them worked on more often! But it isn't cheap (especially with three horses) and our body worker isn't in the area all that often. We've been able to do about once a month all summer though, which is great. He'll jump later this week too. I'm going to miss the freedom of jumping whenever we want (or not when we don't!) when we move next month. But I will be happy to have an indoor! Trade offs. 

And then there's the kid. I chatted with my farrier again the end of last week because Al was pretty sore still. I wasn't confident that I should be trying to work him like that. We decided to give Al a short vacation from work to let his feet get used to being barefoot. He is getting his daily turnout as normal and we've been doing 20-30 minute hand walks everyday. We try to do some things to keep him thinking while we hand walk though. Al is seven going on 4 emotionally so it's important that he uses his brain cells for at least a portion of every day. We do some simple ground work things like stopping when I stop, backing when I back. That kind of thing. Sometimes we walk over a raised pole. The other day when it wasn't crazy windy out, we walked around the jumps like we were doing courses. I'm not sure if he grasped what we were doing, but it made the time pass for me anyway. 

When the other two get shod next is when we'll start Al back to work. Technically anyway.... My saddle is finally in the states and the fitter is bringing it Friday, so I will have to hop on to make sure all is what we are expecting. I am allowed to get on and tack walk him rather than hand walking anyway. So it's not breaking the rules. I've just felt... safer on the ground at the moment. He was a perfect angel walking yesterday when it was cloudy and there was no wind. But today with the sun and the wind (AND THE MOVING SHADOWS OMG!) he was a bit of spookasaurus. Channeling Jamp today, clearly. So yeah. Hand walking seems safer. The other horses are due in about two weeks or so, so it's not much longer. 

That's about it from here. How are things with all of you and your horses?

No comments:

Post a Comment