Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Truthful Tuesday

 

Meh. Guys. I hate this time of year. It's been cold, windy, and either overcast or raining for the last I don't know how many days. It hasn't gotten into the 60's for days either. So it's the worst possible time to have a an empty trust bank. 

So that's today's confession. That silly little unplanned dismount the other day has gotten into my head.




Some might suggest I should stop watching the video on repeat, but like... it's a great video! My viewings are 100% pure entertainment, I promise. I mean, you guys saw it last week. It's gold!

What's frustrating is that it wasn't a big deal. Al spooked and I didn't. I didn't get hurt. (Though I have a very nice bruise on my right ass cheek.) It wasn't a thing at all. I know why it happened mostly. But for whatever reason, it completely emptied my trust bank with Al. 

He's always been a spooky horse, but he's always taken me with him. That's the first time he spat me out. And I generally like to think I'm a pretty good clinger, but that happened so fast, by the time I realized what was going on it was too late to save it. He's been spooking at that entire long side since the weather changed. 

But I'm not one to let these things get the better of me. We're working through it as best we can given the crappy weather conditions. Am I riding in draw reins? Yep, sure am. Listen, I think sometimes you need to do what you need to do to be safe. And if draw reins can help prevent the spin, then that's what I'm going to use until I can trust that Al's head is screwed back on straight. They had the weekend off due to weather (really starting to miss that indoor ring at the boarding barn!) but yesterday, he was an angel. Despite the crazy wind, cold temps, and two days off. We used only 3/4 of the ring. And I had draw reins on. Not tight. Just tight enough that I could catch him if he tried to spin. He really only thought about it once. Which is pretty par for the course with Al. (That's the Jamp in him.) So I'm hopeful we're back on the right track. It's currently pouring rain here, and should be wet all the way through tomorrow. So not sure how much riding we'll get done. I don't mind riding in the rain when it's warm out. But when it's cold.... Meh. Not so much. 

I'm also really lucky to have Eros and Shiny to help me get my confidence back. Shiny hardly ever spooks, and Eros USUALLY warns me well ahead of time if he's feeling spinny. 

I know most of you have been here. What are you best tips for getting through these rough patches?

12 comments:

  1. I am no help at all because i am a chicken shit completely. Does lunging him help at all? Also I would just ride Eros and Shiny :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, if I had just lunged him before thinking about jumping that day, none of this would have happened! Lunging doesn't take the spook out entirely, but it's less of an ordeal when he's not wild.

      Delete
  2. Time, for me. Just slowly building up that trust bank and not pushing things too far too fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is what works for me too. Just keep doing the thing. As much as I can on a given day.

      Delete
  3. The only thing that helps me is to just keep getting back on. I dealt with a spooky (and sometimes in pain) horse that dumped me off several times FIVE YEARS AGO. Even though I don't ride that horse anymore, I still have residual trust issues in general. Being an adult and aware of your mortality is dumb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, same. Just gotta keep doing it! I wish I could blame it on being an adult, but I've always been this way. Lol!

      Delete
  4. I agree with the comment above - time, and lots of small deposits in that trust bank with Al. Sounds like you're making those baby steps happen! And keeping on with your solid kiddos Shiny and Eros!

    ReplyDelete
  5. dude it's been 55*F and raining here for about four straight days, and while i am *so excited* about having softer ground again... we are OVER it ugh. people, horses, my poor cold cats.... ugh. anyway i totally know how you feel re: the trust bank. charlie fell with me once while just loping around in a lazy canter and... yea, i've never forgotten. some things just stay with you. charlie's also been a spooky SOB (for him) the last couple weeks and that is definitely wearing on me too. here's hoping the season of fall friskies is short lived!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall Friskies! That is exactly the issue! Hope Charlie and Al both calm themselves down soon.
      Agree on the rain too. This is getting ridiculous. It's raining again right now.

      Delete
  6. I hate the spin. My draft does that when trotting and another horse comes head on towards him. Even if said other horse has been in the arena the whole time with him. He is deaf so that may have something to do with it? Not entirely sure.

    Being a draft he's pretty slow about it and I've not come off yet. But it freaks me the eff out and it's taking me a very long time to regain trust. Too long most would say but I won't give up.

    And if I spend the rest of my riding days just walking and trotting some, so be it.

    I wish I had answers but agree that time and just riding do help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a mare that wasn't okay with head on too. It's scary when they spin, so I totally get it! No one gets to determine your time line but you. Just keep on keeping on. That's what I plan to do, too.

      Delete