Friday, March 21, 2014

Outside > Inside


After my miserable run at the gym on Monday, I was determined to take things outside Wednesday evening. I was having the most difficult time deciding how far to run and what route to take. Sunday I will be running the Leprechaun 5 Miler, which is certainly an attainable distance given my recent 10 miler with Katie. Yet I hadn't actually run more than 3 since I realized my April half wasn't happening. Finally I decided to run 4 miles. AND I decided to take my advice from the other day and step back a little to regain my confidence. Meaning I wanted to limit the hills and not press too hard for pace. AKA, go out and enjoy the run!

Well... low and behold, I had a GREAT run! There were moments of "whoa, this is hard" of course, but I told myself just slow down a little, catch your breath. I looked a few times at my distance as I had decided to do a few different out and backs. (I wasn't sure entirely of when it was getting dark, so didn't want to ever be too far from home.) I never looked at my pace however.

Speaking of distance... Does anyone else lose the ability to do math while running? By the time I was on my last out and back, I could not for the life of me figure out how far out I had to run. I finally guessed, and luckily it worked out. Running and math do not mix my friends!

When my run was over, I let myself look at the pace:


Do you see what I see?? That's my fastest run since... September I think. Nice work! Granted it was a relatively flat route, blah blah blah. But I'll take it! I was super excited to plug my watch in and see what the splits looked like. Oddly enough, my first mile was the fastest. Even more odd, that was the hilliest mile!

It's really encouraging to have a great run. Finally! Have any of you had a nice run lately? Battling the "I hate running" thoughts?


No comments:

Post a Comment