Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Truthful Tuesday

 


Today's confession is that tack walking Al today was as much work as a regular ride. His foot is doing much better after a vet visit on Friday (more on the foot tomorrow), but we're now waiting to get his shoe back on before we get back to work. I figured though, he can handle a tack walk without the shoe. He's been a little ridiculous lately, and I think his brain needs something to do. So I hopped on, planning to walk for 20 minutes, and do some actual walk work, rather than just meandering. Which was a good plan, because I think if I let him meander there would have been much spooking. So we worked on going forward, which was absolutely exhausting. I didn't think I'd need weapons for walk day, but next time I'm definitely bringing Mr. Tappy. We did a little bit of lateral work, but not too much. Just enough to move his body around a little. But yeah, I was as tired from trying to get him moving at the walk as I would have been if we'd done all three gaits. Guess I know what we need to work on!

4 comments:

  1. It’s funny how rides that you plan to easy rarely are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my trainer growing up used to say the walk is the hardest gait, and i honestly believe it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be so true! Especially I think with the "push ride" types. Eros has a fabulous walk, but the other two I have to work more than I think they do.

      Delete