Wednesday, November 1, 2023

What's Up Wednesday

 

Oh you guys! Last week was so lovely. SO LOVELY. It was warm all week, and on Saturday it was EIGHTY DEGREES OUT! Glorious. I loved it. Al loved it. Everyone loved it! Today? Today the high was 42. My horses are wearing blankets. BLANKETS. They aren't heavy ones, but still.



BLANKETS. Ugh. Gross. 

Anyway, back to last week. We got to do jumpies twice last week like normal riding people. It was great fun. Everyone was so good, especially on Saturday.







Well, I didn't say they were perfect... 

I FULLY embraced it, because I knew what was coming. So Saturday after jumpies, each horse got a scrubby tubby bubble bath. They looked beautiful and shiny and clean for approximately 10 hours. Because obviously it rained on Sunday. I rode at the other barn, but not at home. Instead we pulled manes and conditioned tails. At least we did productive things on the one millionth rain day of the season.

It also rained Monday. But Rita was able to get her walk in because it was more of a mist by late afternoon. She tried out her new rain jacket, and it was great. Rita approved!


Yesterday was Halloween. It was chilly but not as awful as today so everyone worked. Al spent more time on the lunge line than he did under saddle, but some days are like that. Especially Tuesdays after a two day vacation. His lunge line work was mostly at the trot, exploring different areas of the ring. He was all worked up about pretty much everything. It's not his fault. He hates the cold more than I do. And that's a lot. Everyone else was fine though. We were stuck on half the ring because of all the rain from the previous days. That far side gets squishy when there's too much water. 

I had planned to ride everyone again today. The weather was awful, low 40's, WIND, and some rain. But it wasn't really raining, just spitting a little, so my plan was to proceed as normal. I picked Shiny to go first though, because on days like today she's a good barometer for the how the rest will behave. If she's spicy, then the others will definitely be awful. If she's good, it's a 50/50 chance on the others behaving... Ha! Anyway, I got on Shiny and she was kind of a psycho. Well psycho for her anyway. She was really spooky, which is not at all like her. She kept contemplating bolting. It was silly. But it was also a good warning that perhaps the others should have a day on the lunge instead of under saddle. It was a good choice. Al wasn't terrible... but definitely SPOOKY and Eros was pretty wild. I think everyone's ready for an indoor option on bad weather days. (Okay, maybe not Al. He hates the indoor. But the rest of us are ready!) 

And speaking of that, tomorrow is moving day! Hopefully. As long as the trailer shows up as planned for my stepmom's horses. My plan is to definitely move Al tomorrow, and then Eros and Shiny will either move later in the day or Friday morning. We'll see how late the day gets. The other horses are supposed to leave between one and two in the afternoon. I would love to bring everyone at once, but with all my show stuff living in the trailer tack room, I don't have enough space for all three plus their stuff in one trip. Because they have a lot of stuff:
Tack (saddles not pictured) but not those trunks.
They're just acting as tables.

They each have a tub for indoor blankets,
a tub for turnout blankets, and a tub of locker stuff.
(Locker stuff is grooming items, wraps, boots, that sort of thing)
Also pictured are Shiny's kick pads. We don't need them at home.

I haven't packed feed and supplements yet, but that will be quick. Plus I have most of the day to do that anyway since we won't leave the house before 2 at the earliest. I figure I'll take Al and all the stuff the first trip. (Excluding feed and supplement things for the other two since they may stay one more night.) Then the other two. It's nice that the boarding barn is so close that it's not a big deal to make two trips. Though I suppose I could unpack some of the show things and get it all done at once too... Just seems like a lot of extra work. It's less than a ten minute drive and I don't think Shiny particularly enjoys being in the front stall. It's a little awkward. My trailer is a 2+1, but not quite because I had it made a little short. I didn't plan to actually have three horses to haul around when I ordered it. Anyway. I'm rambling. Big move starts tomorrow for the winter! 

In other news, the tall kids all wore cute Halloween outfits yesterday which I'll share tomorrow for Thursday's threads, though you may have already gotten a sneak peak if you follow me on Instagram. And Rita got dressed up as a taco:

We didn't actually do anything except take a photo though. Maybe next year we'll do something fun for Halloween. Though to be real, I had plenty of fun taking pictures with Rita. Because I am who I am, I donned a hot sauce costume with a spicy pepper headband.

Yes, I wore it for all of five minutes to take photos with my dog. I'm a total weirdo. But honestly, I'm pretty comfortable in my weirdness. Hopefully others enjoy it too... Hahaha!

3 comments:

  1. omgosh your packing is so organized haha.... and yea, totally relatable about the weather. we clipped charlie on sunday, and both of mine were in blankets as of yesterday (3 days later, for those keeping track at home).... sigh.... good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The packing part is easy since they have mostly all separate stuff over there. I just leave it in these tubs when we're home so it's all ready to go!
      The weather has been so up and down! 60's yesterday, 40's today... It's nuts.

      Delete
  2. Thanks! It's pretty easy since they don't really use any of this stuff when they're home.

    ReplyDelete