Wednesday, May 10, 2023

What's Up Wednesday

 

So I called the shop last week to see what's happening with the truck. I was under the impression we were just waiting on the glass replacement and thought I would have the truck by the weekend... Hahahaha! How cute of me to think such things. Turns out, they had to order the glass since it's a back window not a windshield so who knows how long that will take. And they can't finish all the repairs until the window is installed. So we're looking at another 2-3 weeks. Ugh. So I asked the barn owner if they could ship Shiny and Eros home for me. Thankfully my place is super close so it wasn't a problem, and we were able to get the kids home on Saturday. Of course, it was the busiest day ever for me, but it got done and they're settling in nicely.


My busy Saturday was basically over by 4 though, so I spent the evening finishing up setting the course. I had started last week, but ran out of time to finish putting all the rails and fill out. I was excited to discover these new adorable flower boxes that I bought last fall and set aside for this year. 

They're pugs and chihuahuas! Cute right? They're not especially sturdy, so I'm not sure how long they'll last, but for now they're adorable, and I love them! 

I may pop Shiny and Eros over a few little things today, but I'm going to wait until next week to really start jumping them at home. My footing is pretty different from what they've gotten used to at the other barn, and I like to give them a little time to get used to it. They have to work harder in my footing which makes me worry about tendon strains. So slow and steady wins the race over here! 

Al is still at the other barn though, so lessons are continuing as normal. He's been great! That exercise from last Wednesday is still set up, and we tackled it again Friday. It was easier the second time and we got to jump through it a little bigger. 



Since Eros is home now, I rode Al in the flat lesson last night. It was a private since my usual lesson mates are all at a horse show this week. He was good, but definitely petered out by the end. Al's not used to working that hard on the flat! Plus, I had put him down for a free lunge since Tuesdays he can be a little spicy. They did it outside... which um... he's lost that privilege now because he jumped himself out of the ring to go eat grass in the field. The ring fence isn't very high there, so I'm not surprised that happened. Gave me a giggle though. Fortunately, he was easy to catch. Silly boy.

I'm looking forward to having everyone home and getting into a regular routine. Right now I feel a little like I'm rushing from one barn to the other, so I don't yet feel settled. But we'll get there! And it sure is nice to be back home! I love having barn friends but there's nothing quite like the quiet time at home with my horses. 

Not too much to report in non horse news. I mentioned yesterday that I got to celebrate my nieces birthdays on Saturday. My older niece has been asking about coming to ride Shiny. The younger one didn't really have much interest, but a couple of weekends ago one of her friends had her birthday at a barn and there were pony rides. So now she's totally hooked and was also asking about Shiny. So for their birthday I got them new paddock boots, half chaps, some brushes, and the QHP backpack that now comes in pink. They were super excited. So once I get Shiny settled in, they're going to come out and ride. I'm excited! I do wish Shiny was a little bit better of a listener... she's not the most beginner friendly. But we can at least get started on the lead line. And maybe she'll work for lunge lessons as they get more advanced. We shall see. 

Today's another crazy day, riding the two here, riding an extra at the barn, then a lesson on Al. Home to feed and change and then up to Hartford to meet my best friend for a quick dinner and a show. Should be lots of fun! Glad tomorrow is a non lesson day.  

That's it from here! Hope you are all having a great spring!


2 comments:

  1. glad the kids are home or at least some of them. I can share your truck woes. My tractor's wheel fell off on Sunday. YES. SO I called shop and they were like we will be out to get it sometime. SOMETIME. NO DAY NO DATE so here i sit tractorless. SIGH. Anyway enjoy having them home and hope the parts get there soon for your truck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man! Not even a loose estimate? That's terrible! I still haven't heard from the shop so I guess I'm kind of in the same boat, but at least they HAVE the truck...

      Delete