Wednesday, May 3, 2023

What's Up Wednesday

 

Phew. It's been busy around here. I had hoped to have Eros and Shiny home this week, but alas, my truck is still not back from the shop. I am hoping by the weekend, but who knows? In the meantime, we're still following our usual lesson schedule because why not? 

Eros is feeling a little stiff on the left side. He hasn't been quite perfect since he got his spring shots, and he still has a big lump from them. I'm hopeful that's the source of his imperfection at the moment. He felt better today than yesterday, so we're planning on doing our jump lesson, and if he's not feeling great, we just will skip the jumping part. 

Shiny also has a bump still from her shots (they got the second set a week ago today) but she seems less bothered by it. She's been pretty good lately. She hasn't kicked out for the canter much at all. Like it's not a daily occurrence anymore so that's positive. I'm hoping she might jump outside tomorrow, but our lesson is early and it might be raining. We shall see what happens. (Lots of waiting and seeing in this post...) 

Al's been great! He's zero percent bothered by his shots thankfully. One out of three... Not great odds. Haha. Anyway, he's been lessoning twice a week, and things are going really well. We've done full courses that are huntery, courses that are twisty and jumpery, and today we did a fun exercise as seen below. Jumps 7 and 9 were oxers.

We started with the jumps around 2'6"-2'9" and finished with the center ones around 3'3" and the rest around 3'. It was a really fun exercise. The junior I was riding with also did the S turns (4-5-7 then 6-2-9). Trainer thought that might be hard for Al given he was mildly steering inept today, though I kind of think the S turns might have been easier than the C turns. But I also wasn't sure i had the stamina to add on six more jumps so I didn't complain about NOT doing that today. We have another lesson Friday, so we can try it then. 

In other news, I had a little bit less braiding than I anticipated due to some scratches (the weather was awful) but still had a decent amount to do. And it all went well without me wanting to die at any point. (Sometimes around 4 am I question my choices. But not this time!)



Oddly, I didn't have a single chestnut. Weird! Anyway, it was a good weekend of work which will pay for the furnace repair and one of the deductibles on the truck repairs... (Adulting blows sometimes, doesn't it?)

In other, other news, P is home now, and back with her brother Artie. 


That's all the news from here. Hope you're all having a good spring, and I can't wait to read all your blogs about Not Rolex this year!

4 comments:

  1. Whoa! Those hunter braids completely blow my mind. Over here we do like 9-13 braids per horse and they're hard enough work. I have no idea how you do those beautiful tiny ones, but they're amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Many years of practice. It was the one thing my parents insisted I learn to do myself when I was a kid. And I'm so glad they made me!
      Honestly, I'm terrible at the bigger jumper type braids! I know they SHOULD be easier... But they just look terrible when I do them!

      Delete
  2. Those are some quality braids. I love the dressage braids- so much less work. But I love even more that my guys are a single braid. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I like the dressage braids too, but I am TERRIBLE at them! I really need to practice because we do those type for the jumpers sometimes.
      I also like the running braid, it looks so pretty!

      Delete