Wednesday, August 10, 2022

What's Up Wednesday

 

It's been pretty warm around these parts the last nine days. So things haven't been too wild and crazy. 

Al had a lesson Friday but Pivo wasn't into following him at all so I have zero footage from that. I think the phone must have over heated as it was only recording for the first 15 minutes of our ride anyway. I honestly don't even remember the lesson... So it was probably fine? So far this week we've just been flatting, but Al and I have a lesson tomorrow. Can't wait!

I was very excited for a photo if Shiny jumping the skeletons,
but she thought it was a big snooze fest and literally just cantered
over them. So much for my exciting photo.

Shiny had the easiest week ever. My trainer's daughter rides occasionally, so she's capable to walk and trot around the ring on her own. I had offered if she wanted to come ride Shiny she could, since my trainer doesn't have anything for her to ride at the moment. (Said kid is 11, and isn't very into horses. They leased a camp pony last winter for her, but she's not into it enough to have her own full time. At least not yet.) So when I had my lesson with Al on Friday, trainer's kiddo rode around on Shiny. She did a good job of keeping her going, and Shiny did a good job of cutting all the corners and steering only occasionally... Oh Shiny. The kid had a blast though, so that's what mattered! She was on for almost an hour, so I didn't make Shine do anything else that day. I gave her a very short but good ride on Saturday to remind her what steering is and what leg means. She said she never forgot, she was just testing the kid. Okay Shiny... We popped over some fences too so that was fun! She did kind of dirty stop once at a fence she had already jumped that day. But there's a resident Cicada Killer at that fence, and I think Shiny saw it flying at her and was like NOPE! She came back and jumped it fine several more times, So I think no harm no foul. Sunday was Sunday Funday and since Shiny is the most trustworthy of the bunch, she got to wander into the side yard (by the scary road, but fenced and tree lined for safety) and have snacks. It was a lot cooler over there because it's shaded and we had a lovely time just hanging out together. So far this week she had a ten minute hack yesterday and got today off because the body worker came before I could get her ridden. So this week seems about as tough as last for her so far... 

Pammon is doing just fine this week! He's been a little stuck on the left hind, wanting to turn his haunches inward to the center of the ring at the canter. But the bodyworker got him straightened out today, so hopefully he'll be feeling better tomorrow. He's not felt unsound, just kind of stuck. And our body worker confirmed that he was a little wonky back there. I'm not freaked out by it, he gets that way sometimes, and it's not the leg that was injured, so thank goodness for small favors. Also causing drama for him, his equiband saddle pad is wearing at the edges. The right side actually rubbed him to the point that I thought I gave him a spur rub before realizing I'm not THAT short.  Fortunately, since trainer's daughter rode Shiny Friday, I was done pretty early. So I ventured up to my favorite tack store to pick up some blankets I had ordered awhile back that just finally got released from customs, and was able to get a bellyband for Pammon. No more rubbies!
He wears a lot of things now.
On the bright side, his back is doing pretty well. Our body worker was really happy with how that had held up through the last month. Yay for that!

Eros is doing better this week. I think he's still just a little sensitive on that front foot, but finally today he felt about back to normal. We've been doing super short hacks on a fairly loose rein just to get him moving around. But today we were able to actually put his parts back together and get a little real work in. He felt better and better as the ride went on... Except that he was getting very annoyed at the prospect of being asked to work and kept trying to take the reins away from me. He cracks me up!

It's been a mostly quiet week, so that really is about all that went on around here. Overall, the horses are all doing well. We're plugging away at things, and still trying to find the right one day to make our show debut! There's a schooling show this Sunday that looks appealing, but both my trainer and I have to do our own barn chores that day, so not sure if the timing will work out. We shall play by ear. The next two weekends are all the local finals in this area so I think I will have lots of braiding to do. AND my barn helper is on vacation both weekends. So showing likely can't happen those weekends. And then it's September and my trainer goes back to Florida. WOMP WOMP. All that means is I may just have to show without her. But I am DETERMINED to get in the show ring this fall. It has to happen. One way or another!


4 comments:

  1. oooh do the one this sunday -- the chores can wait!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's gonna happen... September will have to be the goal.

      Delete
  2. hope you can get in the show ring soon. And let me know when you are sending Shiny south :)

    ReplyDelete