Wednesday, March 16, 2022

What's Up Wednesday

 

Spring is making an actual effort to show up this week! While it stupidly snowed over the weekend, yesterday and today temps were in the 60's and we have started riding outdoors! YAY!!! I chickened out on riding Al outside yesterday, but he had a training ride out there today and was pretty good. He's definitely not sure about the giant sprinkler heads, but otherwise wasn't too concerned about the great outdoors. I think it's going to rain tomorrow, but hopefully I'll be brave and ride him out another day soon. Eros did the second half of his ride out yesterday, and the full ride out today, and he was absolutely perfect. Shiny had two full rides out this week, and she was definitely happy to be out. I think this is the first time in my life that I've had horses that don't make a big scene about the move back outside. It's pretty refreshing! That said... I have not taken Pammon out there yet. Lol. Hey, my brave bank is only so full.

Prior to this amazing weather, things have been going just fine with the tall kids. Al's been a super hero in our lessons. He EXHAUSTS me fully, but not in a bad way. Eros was especially good in his lesson last week too. We were able to string a few fences together without him getting strong. Of course, soon we'll be lessoning outside and we'll probably need to start over again... but I'll enjoy the good while I have it. Shiny feels SO much better since her injections. We're still having a struggle about the first few canters, but once she's going she feels incredible. So I'm not entirely sure what the drama is about. Perhaps that's just who she is as a pony? Pammon is starting week two of ten minutes trotting, and he's feeling stronger already. Next week he'll start rigging one day a week and we'll see how that goes. I've never used one, so for now, I'll pay for the trainers to do it. I'll learn before he comes home if I decide to bring him home this summer. 

Not too much else to report on this week. The nice weather has me feeling excited for spring and horses at home! So I'm feeling motivated to get things ready here. How are things with all of you? Weather treating you better?

8 comments:

  1. Yay for spring and riding outside!! 🥳🥳

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like the dawning of a new era! (I'm full of drama this week... lol!)

      Delete
  2. omg... i'd forgotten all about the "transition to outside" again after a long winter, that was always an EXCITING TIME in rochester haha.... god speed and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! It's nice that some of my horses make it easy... (Looking at you Eros and Shiny. Al and Pammon need to get on board with that.)

      Delete
  3. I don’t have to worry about the transition to outside- just the transition to being a working horse. Also full of drama at times. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am stealing your phrase "brave bank" - that describes my feelings about riding completely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days it seems to fill itself, and other days it's like I'm drawing on credit...

      Delete