Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Truthful Tuesday: Winter Doldrums Edition

 

Well. It's February. Which means I've reached that feeling of "why won't winter end". Which is totally unfair really because it's barely just started. But we got a bunch of snow yesterday. The weekend was bitterly cold (Friday's real feel was 1 at the warmest point of the day). And well... I'm over it. All of it.

Photo taken at the start of the storm. 
We wound up with about 10 inches I think.

While I'm SUPER grateful to be able to board the horses for the winter, making the snow less of an inconvenience to me, I miss having the horses here. I'm so tired of being rushed all the time because I'm trying to work three horses around a schedule of lessons and hours. They keep changing the times we can ride and while for the most part it's not unreasonable, it kind of is when you have multiples. 

Super grateful for a nice indoor to use in the winter!

For example, the barn used to not have actual hours. The only rule was to make sure all the lights are out when you leave. Then it changed to the indoor closing at 8 pm and the barn at 9 during the week. Weekends everything closes at 5. So I adjusted my schedule to riding one horse in the morning and two at night and put Pammon on full care to assist with the timing in the morning. In other words, it's more of an inconvenience and literally costs me more money to adjust to that time frame. But I did all that to make it work.

This pony costs me extra.

Weekends are tough in general during the winter because lessons have a lot of people in them and they are jumping courses in the ring. So trying to work around all that is sometimes not even possible. Usually if you get on at the same time as the lesson and just kind of work into the flatwork portion it's doable though. (Not with Shiny, since she's kind of a bitch... but that's my problem. The boys are fine in traffic.) The mornings aren't too busy, so if you ride early, it's easier. But call me lazy (the barn owner certainly does), I just don't want to be at the barn at 7:30 on Saturday and Sunday. I'm tired after the 14 hour weekdays everyday. I like to come around 8:30 or 9. But then, when it's 9 degrees in the morning at that time, I'm not riding then. It's not good for the horses and it's hard for asthmatic me to breathe in that. 

I swear I'm not complaining that I have too many horses to ride.
I love riding all of them everyday. Especially after all that time where 
I couldn't ride at all.

So that leaves the afternoon. This Saturday I had a virtual baby shower to attend at noon and since the morning was absolutely frigid I decided to ride after the lessons at 2:30. But the last lesson ran late, so it was close to 3 by the time I got on my first one. That left me two hours to ride three horses. Not ideal, but it's just one day, I could work it out. But then at 4:30 as I was tacking up the last one, they went in to drag the ring which took 20 minutes. That left me ten minutes to ride and put away Shiny. Cool. She had a super short ride, but I decided I could be a little later in the barn since it was their dragging that made me late. Not sure if that's valid reasoning but I was going with it.

This face is not at all sad about an abbreviated ride. #lazypony

What I learned from that is 2:30 is too late to start riding. Okay fair. Most of the time I don't ride that late anyway on the weekend. But then Sunday, barn owner/trainer comes in the barn and says no one can ride on the weekends during the big lessons anymore. Meaning no riding unless you're in the lessons between 11 and 2:00. I told her that's pretty tough if the barn is closing at 5 and I have three to do. It's really asking a lot for me to split my day on the weekends also when I already do that during the week. I do have other things to attend to on the weekends. So her answer was to come earlier (which won't work when it's cold because I care about my horses and my health!) and that she is not making any exceptions. I feel like having multiple horses is not encouraged at this place as she makes it harder and harder to do it. Like, the more money you spend there, the more of an inconvenience you are. Thank goodness I'm only really there for the winters. Sheesh.

Anyway, all that bitching and complaining to illustrate how grumpy winter makes me. Maybe if they let us work remotely moving forward I should start wintering in Florida. Once I'm vaccinated of course. Wonder how my dad and stepmom would feel about 40 year old me moving in with them for the winter...

If you've made it this far, thanks for listening to me vent. As a reward, you get a second confession. Which is that I own this:


Yes. It is as warm as it looks. Also yes, it's like a sausage casing and I should have gotten the next size. Third yes, it was probably more difficult to shovel snow in it because it is so tight. But I was toasty warm!

Anything you all need to vent about today? Winter getting you down? 

20 comments:

  1. Wheeeeeeeeew I could not deal with that scheduling stuff. I'm a snowflake that only has to share the ring with one other horse maybe once a month, and I've never ridden at a barn with closing times, so that all just sounds like straight torture. At least it's just for the winter for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully during the week when I ride it's pretty quiet. It's just the weekends that are nutty.
      I hate to be such a bitch about it, and it's her barn so she's entitled to whatever rules she wants. But it's making me want to shop around for next winter, that't for sure. The fact that it's only 7 minutes away though... that might keep me there.

      Delete
  2. Wow. Closing at 5 on the weekends absolutely sucks! I am so fortunate that I have never boarded anywhere with set hours or weird jumping rules or anything like that. That would make me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My barn growing up closed at 5 on the weekends too, so I don't mind that, but it is a problem if we also have a three hour block smack in the middle of the day that we can't ride!

      Delete
  3. Closing at 5? I get that the owner needs a life but that is really early. I'm not sure how you fit all three in without going crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's tight! She's usually gone before that anyway on the weekends, so not sure what the real issue is.

      Delete
  4. Yikes. I mean I'm not really opposed to barns having logical rules, but a lot of that just seems punitive -- like I'm so sorry that they apparently DON'T need the income from THREE HORSES plus full care... wow. Of course if you don't have an indoor at home they know they have you over a barrel if you want to ride, ugh. That whole situation sucks, I'm sorry. At least you don't have to deal with it year-round!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I don't expect special treatment for free or anything, but it shouldn't be so difficult to just ride my horses!

      Delete
  5. Uhhhhh if your barn manager called you lazy, she sucks. That schedule is stupid. I would not ride at 7:30 either.

    Snowsuits are always too tight, no matter what size you order them in. It's a universal constant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's never called me lazy specifically, but she constantly makes comments that people who show up there later than 8 or 9 are lazy. Anyone overweight to her is lazy. If you don't jump in to help if they're stripping the course or something, you're lazy. It's a little ridiculous.
      Ha! Good to know about the snow suits! I will hold off on finding a bigger one if that's the case! LOL!

      Delete
  6. Oh gurlllllll it would NOT go down that way at my barn! The clients with multiple horses get top priority. Not saying you get worse treatment with less horses, just that they will schedule everything around those with the most horses to make it work for them. I do not love your BM's attitude one bit! I don't think you even being whiny, I'd be wayyyy more pissed myself. GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly think she doesn't really want to run a boarding/lesson barn. I think she would much prefer to just have sales horses and ride all day. Which is fine, I get that totally. But if that's the case, hire more staff and let someone else deal with it. Or sell the place.

      Delete
  7. I too would not ride early in the am. It makes me thankful for my barn. Tho I really dont ride unless in a lesson but hey that is a winter thing and Remus is ridden elsewise by others so all ends well.....LOL Sorry that sucks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Mornings aren't so bad when it's warm out. But winter mornings are the hardest!

      Delete
  8. Honestly it sounds like they are trying to squeeze more money out of you, I have to put up with a lot of rules but sometimes its not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I got that feeling too. But I'm really not a big fan of full care, nor do I have any more extra money to pay for more than one horse on it. So she's not getting any more!

      Delete
  9. My comment just got eaten but in summary it was WTAF. I get that operating a boarding farm is often a thankless job but they are not making it feasible for you. Weekend days especially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree! I mean you can't call us all lazy and then make it extremely difficult to work our horses!

      Delete
  10. The fact that you're out there basically every day, often twice a day, working with 3 horses in some capacity AND working full time makes you anything but lazy. Ugh, she needs to slow her roll and lose the attitude, particularly for paying clients. I would definitely be shopping around for next winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The convenience factor is huge though. It's so close to home!

      Delete