Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Truthful Tuesday

 

Vacation is over and it's back to the grind! I had a time of it trying to get out of bed to go ride Pammon this morning. And that leads to today's confession: I didn't really canter my horse today. 

He came out snorting at everything and I was a wee bit concerned climbing aboard. But Pammon is kind of a snorter in general so I try to set that aside and just ride the horse. We had the ring all to ourselves, which is LOVELY because the boarding barn can be a very busy place. But Pammon goes best with a buddy in the ring with him. He's a social guy, what can I way? 

Anyway, our warm up trot work went pretty well. He was definitely a little up, but was listening fine. So finally it's time to canter. Well I pick it up and he's tossing his head all around and is completely inside out. (Very hollow, brain oozing out the ears... You know, like horses do sometimes.) So I bring him back to the trot and he spooks. At nothing. Eye roll... 

Then he was on high alert, full periscope mode. I did put him back to work at the trot, but I called it a day with trot work. It's a little tough when they're up like that and you know you only have so much time because the work day is calling. (Literally.)

I hate not getting all the things done. I feel a little like I wimped out. And you know that tomorrow won't be better if they don't work enough today. To try and balance that out, I did put him down to have a free lunge tomorrow. Hopefully that can happen before I ride in the morning. Fingers crossed! 

10 comments:

  1. No shame in that! Better to have not cantered out of an abundance of caution than cantered when you knew he was already being a little goofy and having something bad happen! I know I've never regretted those rides I quit a little early over the ones where I asked too much and ended up with an explosion. Tomorrow is a new day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I needed to hear this today. I totally agree. The barn I'm at can make me feel... I dunno. Inadequate I guess, for being careful.

      Delete
    2. I had one of my worst falls ever that really rattled my confidence when I was working with a new horse and she walked/trotted relatively sanely after some time off, and I should have quit on a good note. But I thought I was being a weenie so I pushed for canter and she LAUNCHED me. Not saying that's what would have happened with Pammon, but sometimes I'd rather quit on a good note than potentially pick a fight I could lose. I'm not a professional trainer, I do this for fun. If my gut says it's not fun that day, I'm not doing it. Again, no shame :)

      Delete
    3. Yes, exactly! This is supposed to be fun!

      Delete
  2. ehh i'm a pretty firm believe that it is 100% not necessary to do every single thing in every ride. esp around these parts where we are often limited by ground / footing conditions. here's hoping just having a sane experience walking and trotting will make him come out more reasonable tomorrow! (today? lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed! Tuesdays are always a little sketchy since they have Monday off. And I ride him before his daily turnout. It's asking a lot!

      Delete
  3. Eh better safe than sorry, hopefully your next ride is better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I was thinking too. My butt doesn't want any more bruises!

      Delete
  4. I’m totally in the camp of having a good productive ride and not pushing it if it doesn’t feel right. There is always tomorrow, and the next day :)

    ReplyDelete