Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Truthful Tuesday


So on Tuesdays I tell the truth. And this week I'm telling you...

I am out of shape. SO VERY OUT OF SHAPE. Here's how I know.

First, I went to that horse show on Sunday which you can read about here. And yesterday... Holy COW, I was sore. Not just I need to stretch this out sore, but real life someone carry me to work sore. Ugh.

So last night I decided no more excuses. I MUST get back to running regularly. And the only way to get started on that is to, well, just do it. (Nike really is on to something with that slogan.) So this morning, I hit snooze a few times. Obviously. That's what slackers do. But finally I dragged myself out of bed, let the pugs out, and put on some running clothes. Which leads to confession number two:

I did not actually run 3 full miles this morning. Due to my still sore legs from Sunday, my many snooze button hittings, and my slackerdom I did not have the gumption, motivation, nor time to get the 3 miles of running done. I started out with plenty of time. But I walked just after mile 1 up a baby hill that seemed huge (note: I'm not fit evidence #2).  At the peak of the mountain ant hill, I picked up the pace again and got back to my run. I turned around at 1.5 miles and oddly enough, did you know, that hill I had walked up and run down was still there?! Shocking. So I did what any slacker would do. Walked it again. Yep it happened. And then I told my lazy self no more breaks finish this thing! So I did. But I was running out of time and just approaching 2.5 miles. I decided to call it a day there.

I have some weird need to only track my running, so I pause my Garmin during the walk breaks. The good thing here is that I wind up traveling more distance at least, which I think helps a little with fitness. More so than sitting on my butt anyway! So here are my results:

Running only:


The whole thing, including the walk breaks:



That second photo is a screen shot from Charity Miles. I highly recommend that app to anyone who likes to walk, run, or bike. For each mile you cover, partners of Charity Miles will make donations to the charity of your choice. They do have a list, so it's possible your favorite charity isn't offered, but it's expanding all the time. I normally run for Stand Up to Cancer, though if I take the dogs for a walk, we support the ASPCA. If you're interested in downloading the app click here!

For my little run/walk today my impact was $0.81 for cancer research. Is that an impressive amount of money? Not really, but it's something. And I contributed by doing something I needed to do anyway. I think that's a great thing!

Just to let you know, Charity Miles in no way compensates me, nor are they aware I'm singing their praises. I just think they're cool, so wanted to share with you readers!

2 comments: