Wednesday, December 20, 2023

What's Up Wednesday

 

Heh... well. Barn owner/trainer has decided she's no longer going to do training rides on Al, so I guess I'll be solving this issue on my own. She's decided she won't help fix problem horses that she didn't pick out herself. I hope to see this new protocol apply to all the horses she didn't pick and not just mine. I doubt it will be the case though. Regardless, I don't think I want the help anyway, if that's how she feels. 

I have the vet coming out Friday for Eros, so I will be taking some of his time (whether BO/Trainer likes it or not) to discuss what's going on with Al. We have treated for ulcers in the past in an effort to curb some of this behavior and it's never helped. So I don't think that's what we're dealing with, but I'm not averse to setting up an appointment to scope if doc thinks that's something we should do. I'm also going to ask about treating for EPM. Maybe there's something going on with his eyes. I dunno. Grasping at straws a bit, but I just really don't think his issues are all behavioral. I've had lots of spooky horses, but he seems to grow more spooky the more we try to resolve the problem. Nothing seems to get him over what he's worried about. And I've just never had one that didn't improve by the end of the ride. Or after a lunge. Or whatever else we've tried. I feel like I'm generally a pretty good judge of character when it comes to horses, and I just don't think this horse wants to act the way he is. Maybe I'm wrong, and he's just a real turd and I picked a bad one. It's not impossible. But I don't think that's the case. I really don't. Time will tell I suppose. 

So anyway. That's what Al's been up to. Nothing like a solid dose of unnecessary stress during the holiday season! Thanks Al. 

Shiny on the other hand, is really stepping up to the plate. She's the MVP over here right now. She's moving forward, learning to actually stretch DOWN at the trot, and absolutely loving it when we get to jump. We had a lesson on Saturday morning and she was fantastic. She did practice some airs above the ground once when she hit a rail, but it was pretty entertaining. She rubbed a fence simply because she wasn't being careful and then got VERY MAD about it, leapt into the air and let out a giant buck. She stayed nice and straight though, and she's so wide you don't really get unseated so I giggled and continued on with the course. I'm very much looking forward to January when she can lesson twice a week again. I think she's looking forward to that too. 

Nothing at all to report on with Eros. We're still tack walking and just awaiting the ultrasound which will be on Friday. I look forward to finding out what exactly we're going to be rehabbing. It will be nice to have a plan anyway. Especially since I'll be away for a few days, I like having a solid plan to leave with whoever is caring for him in my absence. 

I'm very excited to spend a few days in Florida with my family and get warmed up! But I'm pretty anxious about leaving the horses. I wish I could just take them with me. And maybe stay all winter. Lol. 

The weather here has been all over the place, but thankfully so far the precipitation has been rain. I have this one plant outside that has no idea what season it is so popped out a few flowers over the weekend.


We had our family Chanukah party on Saturday which was lots of fun. I got some new warm sweaters for the barn and a pair of insulated slippers that have a sole so I can wear them anywhere I want to. My feet are very excited about those! 

Next up on the itinerary is our annual Festivus dinner on the 23rd. My mom and I will exchange stockings on Christmas, and then I'm off to Florida on the 26th. At some point I need to pack... Ha! 

That's about the long and the short of it over here. How are things your way? Are you all ready for the rest of this holiday season? Any big plans? 


10 comments:

  1. The barn situation sounds very frustrating. Is there anyone else at the barn that can help you with him?

    I’ve never dealt with what you’re dealing with, but some extra vet check ups might not hurt. I also think that some horses are just quirky. If you can figure out work around to make it work, sometimes that’s the best you can do. And some days you just can’t get much accomplished. My lease horse for instance is very well broke CAN jump 3’6” (but generally jumps 3 foot or less), has an auto change and can be really lovely. He can also be a complete turd and borderline unrideable. Sorry, I’m rambling and I wish I had some better advice.

    Riding is pretty scarce for me this time of year. I have been riding very little, but having fun when I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry for the anonymous comment last night. My phone doesn't like to connect to my google account to make comments for some reason.

      Delete
    2. Lol! I thought it might be you!
      Yeah, I think some horses are just quirky, and he might be one of them. I think it's easier when I'm home because I have the freedom to throw all the tools at him. But when I'm boarding, I have to work around everyone else, AND follow all the rules so it's harder to experiment.

      Delete
  2. Reading between the lines a bit, I’m so frustrated for you that there seems to be some tension and dismissiveness when it comes to getting Al the support he needs. Good luck with the physical approach. I don’t know how much credit I give “trends” in care practices, but a bunch of folks at my barn have started their horses on vitamin E and feel like it’s some sort of magical elixir. Another friend feels like her horse is a new man after his recent wormer power pack…. Or ya know. Maybe Al just feels general harsh vibes that might get better when folks go south for the winter?? Hoping you get some clarity soon, and glad Shiny is being a bright light meantime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, the emotion I'm feeling the strongest is frustration. Al was starting to act this way just before we moved, and I was so hopeful I would get some help when we moved for the winter. So it is very frustrating to be first dismissed in the lessons, and then again for training rides. Like, it's hard to subscribe to the program when we're not welcome in it. I truly believe this is a nice horse, I just need some guidance. It's really hard for me to ask for help, so it's extra hard for me when I'm turned down. Like a real gut punch. At the root, I think she doesn't know how to help us, so rather than admit that she just dismisses us.
      The vitamin E thing is pretty real where I am because our horses don't get enough pasture. (Or in the case of my big fatties, any grass...) so they need that supplemented. I haven't really found it helps behaviorally though. Systemically for sure!
      I do think the atmosphere isn't helping things at all. He's sensitive to that. I try to ride him when there are some old reliables in the ring rather than the younger ones. If I can just follow a nice beginner horse around the ring for 30 minutes, we have a lovely day!

      Delete
  3. I agree that getting a vet check is a good idea. It’s so frustrating when they are like this without an evident cause. Bloodwork might be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! And he truly seems upset to me. So hopefully doc can help.

      Delete
  4. So sorry to hear about Al and his drama! It's so tough when we don't know what's going on with them.
    It's not possible for everyone (and I don't think it's possible in an American winter!) but my problem children get thrown into a massive pasture with friends and left there 24/7, preferably without any grain if their body condition holds on grass alone. I've seen it turn a few nasty ones around, but it's not possible or helpful for everybody.
    Good luck and fingers crossed you find a solution - mystery spooking is so crappy and scary :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I would love to be able to do that! Unfortunately, in my area, we don't really have large fields available for that. Also, Al's pasture mates would probably wonder what they did wrong to get stuck with him... That guy has zero understanding of social cues. Zero. He gets bit a lot. Lol!
      I was thinking about cutting his grain back even more, but he eats less than a quart twice a day, so I'm not sure if that would help.
      It's kind of funny, I think I'm so over his behavior that I'm not all that scared of it, I just don't know how to deal with it without just amping him up even more. But we'll keep on trying!

      Delete