Thursday, July 14, 2022

Thursday's Threads: Neon Edition

 

I've been working on this outfit for quite a long while now, and I'm SO EXCITED to finally share it. Fair warning though, I took it entirely too far, and yet, I have zero regrets. So sit back and prepare to be mildly appalled while 100% entertained. Al will be our model today, because neon pops the most on him.

Al was zero percent interested in posing for this photo. He should be glad I kept his outfit fairly mild. (Fairly.)

Bridle: Joseph Sterling
Browband: Made by me
I discovered that bulk biothane is ridiculously inexpensive, especially as compared to leather. And not only that it comes in pretty much every single color. Including my three favorite neons.

Saddle: Butet
Saddle Pad: Smartpak baby pad, embellished with the Cricut
Half Pad: Ippico
I would never change my barn colors to neons. But my logo does look pretty fab in them!

Boots: DSB embellished by me
It's been a minute since I've used the interchangeable boots, but here they are again! I found this fun neon glitter fabric and knew it would be perfect with this outfit! (And it is!)

That's what Al was wearing, which was wild yes, but not WILD, ya know? But... Here's what I wore:

I know. It's something, right? Here's the best part. I planned this outfit for today knowing I didn't have anyone coming by the barn. I had some appointments earlier in the day when I had jeans on instead of breeches and it was much toned down. But then my dad and his business partner stopped by for a visit, and I felt a lil' silly. His business partner was in fashion before he retired so like... this is not high fashion... But he loved the neons, so maybe I'm on to something! Hahahaha! Kidding, I'm ridiculous. It's no secret.

Helmet: One K CCS Mips
I don't have a neon helmet, so I just went with the plainest black one I had.

Top: Pinspark embellished with the Cricut

I got this shirt from Amazon. I was trying to find something vented in black that wasn't a gazillion dollars, and this one fit the bill. I has venting along the sides as well as that strip up by my neck. It was high 80's yesterday and I was comfortable in it, so do recommend. It was $20. I had to place the logo low on the back due to the venting which looks a little weird. But I still like it!

Belt: Made by me
Yep, more biothane! I made this to match the browbands, and I kind of love it. Biothane is a little weird to work with on something curved since it's doesn't stretch like leather. So it doesn't lay flat which is weird. But once on, I think it's super cute! I maybe could have put more stars on it, but the one negative to biothane is that it's really hard to punch holes in. My hands were tired and my punch getting dull, so I called it finished with fewer stars.

Breeches: Equine Couture
I've had these breeches for a million years. They don't make them any more because I think the clientele for neon breeches is pretty limited... But I also have them in pink. 

Boots: Vega, embellished by me

I found these boots on eBay early last year for $60 shipped. They were brown originally and I figured they'd be nice for everyday. They're super soft and comfy and required zero break in once I finally got around to wearing them. Originally they sat around in my cabinet not getting worn. They were a touch short and kind of boring, so I just never reached for them. I was initially going to sell them, but then I learned you can paint leather. Let me say that again. YOU CAN PAINT LEATHER! This opened a whole new world for me clearly. I decided since these were so inexpensive, I should experiment with them. So the I had to decide what color to paint them. I went through what I have for boots in all the colors I like and realized there wasn't really a hole anywhere... But then, I had the epiphany. NEON! Duh. Why did it take so long to figure that out? So here they are! In all their obnoxious glory. Yesterday was my first ride in them, and they were super comfy. They survived the day quite well, including hosing horses in them. The paint did crack a bit where the boots wrinkle: by the base of my toes and a little on the ankle. But so far no flaking or peeling anywhere. So I'm pretty impressed! The boots themselves are a little bit short, but clearly these are just for schooling at home, so who really cares?

Sooo.... are you impressed with all the neon and my superior crafting skills? If you could paint some boots, what color combos would you do?







10 comments:

  1. This is both so much but also totally you and I love it 🤣🤣🤣

    I actually knew you could paint leather because a friend briefly had a custom leather painting side gig but she mostly did cowboy boots - I have some she did for me like a decade ago that are still holding up great! I've never tried it personally because I am not good at detail work lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I guess I did know on some level because you always see handpainted handbags and what not... But it never occurred to me that I could paint my own boots!

      Delete
  2. These are now tied with the cow print for favorite boots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am incredibly impressed - you've taken everything up to eleven!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the neon! Bulk biothane was such a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! It's opened up a whole new world of stuff for me to make!

      Delete
  5. ok so i was thisclose to commenting "wow this was a bit tamer than i expected given the title!" ..... right up until i saw those boots omggggg haha

    ReplyDelete