Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Truthful Tuesday

 

Today's confession is that I nearly evicted Pammon after his first full day at home... I forgot what a neurotic mess he can be. I remember now. Sheesh. 

Everything was fine Sunday when I brought Al and Pammon home to the farm. They both seemed to settle right in. Eating, drinking, peeing, and pooing. All was calm. Even at night check. It wasn't until Monday morning when he came unhinged. My plan was to turn out Shiny and Eros first as they are used to, and then Al and Pammon in the second group. Well. Pammon thought that was the worst idea EVER. He was screaming his head off, weaving in his stall, running in circles. I was afraid he would hurt himself all over again. And what made it even worse was that he was upsetting everyone else. Even Eros was worked up. And so much yelling. 

I enlisted a little chemical help for Pammon so he wouldn't injure himself and eventually he calmed down. He was for sure still anxious, but he wasn't spinning circles nor weaving in his stall anymore. He played some when it was his turn to go out, and eventually mostly settled down and hung out at the end by Shiny in her paddock. (After all the chaos, I opted to rotate all the boys in the ring and just leave Shiny in the back paddock all day since she was the only one not being ridiculous.)

Al surprised me (in a good way) by not feeding too much off of Pammon's neuroses. Al gave a few whinnies, but he wasn't at all frantic the way his older brother was feeling. When it was his turn outside he sauntered around checking out his new surroundings, had a good roll, and then went to play games with Shiny at the other end of the ring. He would call to her come over and then she'd spook him and they would both canter a circle in their respective play areas. It really seemed like they were both entertained. No one was frantic or running. Just a lil' pony game!

So anyway, back to the confession. I was thisclose to calling the lady who helped me sell Badger to come get Pammon. I can handle an angsty horse and all, but what was most stressful was the way everyone else fed into it. Fortunately, things went considerably better today. Pammon still managed to break the fence on his walkout (because of course he did) but he wasn't as worried as the day before. I let him go out first today, which I think is just how we'll have to do things. The others are more patient, so it should work fine. Hopefully.

8 comments:

  1. Ugh dang it Pammon! But at least Al has been chill about the move so far! I'm so glad you have everybody at home ♥️ I bet it's a great feeling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's one in every crowd... Lol!
      Thank you! I LOVE having them all here!

      Delete
  2. Oh Pammon! Hopefully now that there is a routine established (that includes drama llama going first!) he will be more mellow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He seems to be coming around. Only whinnied once during our ride today!

      Delete
  3. nothing drives me batty quite like screaming horses, bleh. here's hoping you can keep tweaking the system for poor Pammon's delicate sensibilities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, right?! I hate when they yell! Hopefully we're on the right track to keep Mr Anxious happy.

      Delete
  4. Ugh, screaming, circling is the worst. I have to turn Carmen out so that she doesn't freak out. But I wonder if I actually still have to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it?! Like, really Pammon, you've lived here before. I bet Carmen is much too more mature for such nonsense these days!

      Delete