Wednesday, October 27, 2021

What's Up Wednesday

 


 It was a fun, laid-back week around here this past week. I didn't have much planned other than the usual. Eros is moving along in his rehab and we're getting to do some canter work now. He's feeling pretty good most days, so I'm hopeful he'll be back to normal soon. 


This week is off to a rocky start with the weather. It poured buckets yesterday so no riding, and currently the wind is blowing at 30 mph so we're waiting until the afternoon when it's supposed to calm down a little. It's our last full week at home, so I want to enjoy it. If only the weather would cooperate!

Shiny fit in both jump schools this week. She's still a little tough to get moving, but one she gets there, she's jumping around great! Our first school of the week, I was really trying to focus on keeping her shape to the jumps. I wasn't terribly successful... but the side effect of my attempts was a listening pony. So while I wasn't able to keep her back up as we approached the jumps, I did have an adjustable pony. I'm calling that a win since being rideable is more important to me than looking perfect. 

Still cute, even if she prefers to be hollow

I'm not sure what got into me, but for the second jump school this week, I put one of the fences up to 2'6". We haven't ever jumped that high together. I picked the fence she hasn't ever spooked at since I figured that would make me braver. Her too, I imagine. For this jump day, I wasn't hyper focused on keeping her shape, but more on keeping her in front of my leg. For the most part she was right there for me, with the exception of the vertical out of the short diagonal going away from the barn. I had to go to Mr. Tappy for some backup and she got mad! 


But the next time she moved up off my leg. Shiny's a smart pony, she does learn from things. That doesn't mean she always does what I ask... but she does understand at least. Lol. Mares. What I was most excited about from this day is that every time she jumped the bigger vertical, her knees were even and her forearms were parallel to the ground. I found the jump every different way, once was a waiting spot, once it flowed nicely, and once I had to kick her up to it, but each time she jumped it great. 

Our first ever 2'6" fence!

and our second

And then the third

I'm not ready to jump courses at that height with her, but I'm pretty excited to get there! Here's a clip from a few of our jumps that day:

I had my penultimate lesson with Bellino this Thursday. We have one more this week, then this weekend he leaves for Florida. I hope that goes better this year for him and my stepmom! Anyway, we had a great lesson, but unfortunately, my videographer had to leave before we got to the good stuff. I was a little disappointed because this is probably the best lesson we've had together, B and I. He was listening and jumping great and I have very little video to prove it! Lol! I had witnesses though. So it still counts. 

We were working through a bending line that was right on and fairly direct in 6 to 6, but we had to also do it in 7 and 8. This is REALLY tough for us because Bellino is not a fan of being adjustable. Adding one stride is easy since you just change the track and don't really have to shorten. But the 8 proved more difficult since you had to do both. I have video only of us doing the 7 to 7 once time, but it's pretty right on, so I'll take it! You can see it here:


Our last course was more or less a hunter trip and we were allowed to do the 6 to 6 through the bending line. The whole thing rode so nicely. The roll top was our first AND last fence so I jumped it multiple times. (Have I mentioned how much I hate roll tops?) B was a total star. I'm definitely a little disappointed that he's leaving now that things are coming together. But that's just how it goes sometimes. 

 I happened to once again be in the right place at the right time on Sunday and got to take my new chestnut friend out on another trail ride with my friend and neighbor. 

He was freshly clipped and it was a bit chilly out there, so he was a little more spicy than last time. But still well behaved other than needing one little turnaround to stare at something... He is six after all. It was a lovely ride and I'm so grateful when they let me do these things. 

Lynx, the white doggo, had to stop for a swim on the way back. 

Since both of my horses wound up with slobbers last week, I didn't let them have Sunday snackies this week. 
If you're gonna drool... drool on this towel. 

They weren't pleased, but since their slobbers had finally cleared up, I wasn't taking any chances. I'm not 100% sure if it was from my grass or possibly in the new hay we got, but they aren't drooling anymore. Hopefully that's over with! Anyway, instead of having snackies after our bareback ride, Shiny and I watched some rounds at New England Finals. 


I was having major FOMO this entire week watching everyone ride at New England. It's one of my favorite shows, and I really hope I find a way to qualify next year. Of course that means I have to jump actual 3' jumps again... but it's not impossible! On the right horse and all... There's a very good chance I'll have something to work towards this goal with. Stay tuned.

In non horse news, one of the few good things that came out of the pandemic was finding new ways to hang out with friends. Some of these things have stuck around, and I got to do one of my favorites on Friday. A friend of mine had a few of us over to hang out and we had the first Harry Potter playing on the projector. 
It was chilly, but not cold, and it was just nice to hang out with friends for a bit. And that's about it from here! How was your week? 

6 comments:

  1. Shiny is looking CUTE over 2'6"! And I'm glad you had a good lesson on Bellino, even if you don't have video. So awesome you got to tag along on another trail ride too!! 😍

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one of the few people I've read who use penultimate correctly! Argh for some reason your videos are showing as unavailable :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favorite words!
      Oh that's odd, they're working for me... Maybe a browser issue? They're on my youtube channel, maybe they'll work for you over there.

      Delete
  3. Oooooh I’m intrigued about your teaser of potentially having a horse to qualify for New England with….???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! You're the only one who noticed! Big news coming soonish!

      Delete