Wednesday, August 18, 2021

What's Up Wednesday

 


It was kind of a busy week around here. Lots of non horse stuff to do plus plenty of horses too! Eros and Shiny had both of their jump schools this week, though Shiny's second one was over some much smaller fences. I'm not sure if she's just really not into the heat or what, but she's been very disinterested in work in general. She does what I ask (eventually) and doesn't feel unsound in any way, but she is kind of cranky and annoyed that I want her to do stuff. Looking back at my Facebook memories from last year, it seems I put the jumps lower this time last year too. So I'm suspecting it's some kind of seasonal thing for her. I have a lot of horses to braid next weekend though, so I may give her a few days off and see if that helps things any. 



I was really happy with Eros this week. The first jump day he wanted to be a little strong again, so I made a real effort to shut that down without upsetting him. And you guys, it actually worked! I wasn't sure if it would carry over to day two, but it actually did, and he was wonderful. In the past trainers have had me pull him up when he gets to dragging me, but that doesn't really ever seem to help and it gets him upset. So instead of pulling him up, I used a very strong half halt, but asked him to keep cantering in a more uphill frame. I only had to do it twice and then he was a gentleman again. Will that work every time? Who knows. But it did for now!



On Thursday, I headed over to the other barn and had a lesson on Bellino. I had pressed pretty hard to get the vet out for him, because he has been VERY tough for my stepmom starting over the winter last year. He was rearing, bolting, bucking.... It wasn't good. Definitely not the horse she thought she was buying. They had been working with a vet in Florida and he had been diagnosed with Lyme. But he had finished the treatment and still wasn't acting like himself. I rode him a few times this summer and he just was ornery and not like I remembered him from last year. Since they had been working with a vet, I assumed the obvious (ulcers) had been ruled out, and was worried he might have kissing spine. Anyway, long story.... well still long, the vet was out a few weeks ago. He ruled out kissing spine, but wanted to scope for ulcers. (He had to come back for that since the tummy needs to be empty.) Turns out, the horse has HORRIBLE ulcers. Really bad. So he's in treatment for that now. I feel badly I hadn't asked about that since it's the most obvious. That's what happens when you assume my friends! Anyway, he's feeling so much better, and I had the BEST lesson on him Thursday. It was ridiculously hot, so we didn't do a lot, but what we did was fantastic and super fun. Unfortunately, I have no media. So instead, please enjoy this selfie of us.

I had so much fun on him Thursday, I scheduled to flat both Bellino AND Fefe on Sunday. They were both great. I figured it was a good day for loaner ponies since my two have their fun day on Sundays. 

Pammon is still doing fine in his field. He and his buddy rotated to a different field since they'd eaten pretty much all the grass in the other one. Nothing else really to report from is this week! Just a few more months until we scan that leg and see about him starting back to work. 

In non horse news, it was a busy weekend! Friday evening, the IEA team had a fundraiser. Paint your own wine glass! It was fun, though I'm certainly no artist...

That's supposed to be my farm logo... Lol!
This is why I use a Cricut for most things...

Saturday evening some friends hosted an outdoor taco party at which I took zero photos, but ate lots of tacos and had a great time. It was nice to see everyone and being outside with all vaxxed people felt like the old days. 

And as we already talked about yesterday, Sunday evening we had a barn BBQ. So much socialization! Monday I had a horrible dentist appointment at which the hygienist mocked me. I have two small cavities too apparently so I have to go back. UGH. I'm looking for a new dentist for the future though. My regular dentist retired a couple of years ago, and the new owners have such high turnover, I'm not sure I've seen the same people twice. And the chair side manner is definitely not the same. Hopefully this coming Monday I'll get my fillings smoothly and then not have to go back there ever again! Fingers crossed I survive. (The dentist is a huge source of anxiety for me.)

So that's it around here! This week is definitely quieter which is nice before the crazy that's coming. I mentioned earlier about having a lot of horses to braid next weekend. (Not this coming, the one after). We have lots of little horse show associations around here. This coming weekend the bigger one has their medal finals, but the weekend following the smaller ones has theirs. It's all lower level classes (the biggest class is 2'6") so it's like the beginner olympics. It's a great event for the newbies, but OMG there are so many horses to braid, and no braiders around to do it. I think I have eight to do every night, and that's without having heard yet from two my regular barns. Needless to say, this week is for resting up!


3 comments:

  1. That happened with me with my old Dentist - I went to them since I was a little kid and then he retired on me. I would wait to do your cavities (if possible) until you find a dentist you trust. See if they can just do flouride treatments. I only say this because the people who bought my old dentists place convinced me I needed a tooth drilled when I didn't (my san diego dentist who I've now been seeing for 4 years confirmed based on my old xrays) - with a high turnover rate I assume your new dentist is trying to squeeze as much billable work out as possible before losing everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! So I think the girl dentist I saw that day was just rushing and didn't care at all as it turns out she's leaving the practice to get married. Today I went to get the fillings done and saw the dentist that owns the practice now. I've seen him before and actually do really like him. Well he poked around in there and said I don't have cavities, I just have some staining and he sent me on my way. So I'll give them one more chance and just ask for a different hygienist next time.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for giving your readers so much to think about with this article.You've loaded this with useful, informative content that any reader can understand.amature

    ReplyDelete