Wednesday, April 21, 2021

What's Up Wednesday

 

I don't have anything especially exciting to report this week. Just plugging along! 

My boys coming in from turnout with one of their favorite people!

The horses got worked on by our body worker this week, and Eros got a pretty good report! The new saddle is agreeing with him (phew) and the only real issue of note was a little less mobility in his right front, which I expected to see. I think he's coming due for a little maintenance on that. Pammon on the other hand... well she agreed that the biopsy is a good next step. His back is just kind of a mess, but she thinks mostly a muscular issue. And Shiny was MUCH better than the last time she was worked on. The new saddle is definitely better, though not quite perfect. Doc agreed though that it's probably the best we'll get without going custom. We talked some about the impingement in her neck and she thinks that the tripping is likely related to that. She said just to keep doing what we're doing and try to get her stronger everywhere else to compensate. But overall, she thought Shiny was doing well. So that's good news! Also, my tack sale paid for all three to get worked on, so yay for that!

Shiny had her lesson on Sunday, and was in a pretty funny mood. I think she was a little fresh (it had been cold again in these parts, making the ponies a little spicy) but it's hard to tell with her. She jumped around well, with no refusals even when we jumped that scary oxer from the horse show. She did surprise me with a big spook in one of the corners though! We landed off a diagonal jump, and as we came through the corner after it, she spun 90 degrees and bounced away. She's pretty honest with her spooks though, and takes me with her. Silly girl. She was a little extra trippy that day, so we quit after a couple courses. No need to tempt fate. 

Eros had his lesson last night, and I think I need to accept that the leather pelham might not be the best bit for jumping him. As much as I hate to do it, I think next lesson I'm going to use the segunda. I hate that bit. I'm constantly worried I'm going to hit him in the face with it. But I need him to stop running away with me after the fences. It's gone on too long. Hopefully it can be a one lesson and done with that bit. We shall see. Next week is the last week I'll have Eros and Shiny at the boarding barn, so I may try and do a second lesson this week and maybe next too. Try and get us in a better place before we're on our own. He's not being bad, just a little excited, and I need him to be more adjustable. The victory gallops need to stop! 

In other news, I had someone reach out to me on a very old video of Jampy on Youtube. She has one of his babies somewhere in Europe! This is the second time that's happened, and each time, I get really excited. It's so fun to see his kids out there doing good things. This horse is named Jampion and he's owned by an amateur that events him. He's 15, and he's her first horse that she bought on her own as an adult. I think it's a great story. And look how handsome he is:

Reminds me a lot of his dad!

And in other, other news, remember that pad I found last week? As I was shampooing it, this revealed itself:

That effing mouse chewed right through the sheepskin. It wasn't at all apparent before I got it wet. And once dry the fluff covers it up. 
Shown here not dry, but covered up

But I'm not convinced Shiny won't be able to feel it. I guess it will be an okay spare show pad? I dunno. What do you guys think? Is it trash? Okay for short rides? Ugh. I dunno. I hate to throw it out because otherwise it's so nice! But I don't want to hurt my horse. 

Anyway, that's about it from here this week. Anything exciting happening with you guys?


10 comments:

  1. That's so cool about getting to talk to people with Jampy babies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it were me I'd still use the pad as a backup! So cool to see the Jampy kid too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it?! I was so excited when I saw the comment.

      Delete
  3. exciting that the ponies are coming home!!! and yea i'd probably still use that pad tbh, but that's kinda just how i roll lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll give it a shot. You really can't feel it when the fluff is fluffy.

      Delete
  4. I would definitely try the pad and see if it bothered her. She may not even noticed since it's pretty well covered when it's dry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sucks about the pad, but so neat about Jamp's kid. I really wish that Carlos' lone foal had survived (put her down due to colic when she was 3).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really hate mice. Ruining all my stuff!
      Aw that's so sad about Carlos' baby. Jampy's actual job before I bought him was just making babies, so there's tons out there. But I only heard from two of them.

      Delete