Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Truthful Tuesday

Ok, I lied. I'm not done talking about Jampy. And yes I still owe him a story, but freaking blogger, my computer, and the cloud are just being ridiculous. His story needs to be illustrated, so until I work that out, it's a post in progress. Anyway, let's talk more about Jampy, feelings, and what happened to him "after".
All of last week, pretty much every time I was alone in my car (I really don't know the relevance of being in the car, but that's where it kept happening) my thoughts would drift to Friday, April 5th and visions of "it" happening. Being with your horse at the end is rough guys. I'd do it again in a second, but it's hard. And it stays with you.
But this past Saturday, Jampy came home to me, and that seems to have brought some closure. I'm still super sad, and I still miss him tons, but I've been able to drive myself to and from work and the barn without crying my eyes out. So that's a pretty big step. Which isn't to say that I didn't get a little teary when I walked by the peanut aisle at the grocery store last night and didn't need to stop for Jampy's only allowed snack. Whatever, it's totally normal to get weepy in the grocery store, no?
I hope this doesn't creep you guys out...
 But let's back track a little to the part where I mentioned Jampy coming home. I meant his ashes, not his ghost coming back for a visit. I don't think people talk about what happens to our best equine friends after they're gone, but it's something we all should think and know about. Because sadly, most of us will have to figure that out at some point.
It's actually not legal in the state of CT to bury a horse on your property. Everyone does it, but technically, it's not allowed. I have the world's nosiest and pain in the assiest neighbor, so I would not be able to pull off such a feat. Horse cremation is not a new or uncommon concept, but in most places, it's kind of extra upsetting because, and there's no way to put this nicely, horses don't fit in most cremation ovens. So they have to take unsettling measure to make that happen.
There's a wonderful pair of friends in my area who realized this was a problem for so many horse lovers when they found themselves in need of such a service. And they solved the problem and created a thriving business to help. CT Horse Cremation is a family run operation that happens to be one town over from me. When I tell you guys these are the nicest people I've ever met, I'm not exaggerating. My vet was kind enough to make the call for me, and they met the vet at my house for "the thing". There are two men, old friends who come out for this part, and they help during the worst part (I'll leave it at that) and afterward they give you all the time you may need, and are very careful and respectful when removing your friend. They even braided and cut his tail for me when I couldn't do it myself.
When everything is all done, about three days later, the wife (and co-owner) calls to set up an appointment to bring your friend home. She delivers every one in person, and wants to hear all about your horse (if you wish to talk about it) and will even look at photos. It's not rushed, and everything is done with much respect.
You have a choice to get the ashes back just in velvet pouches if you wish to bury or scatter them, or you can opt for the somewhat pricier wooden urn. Since I haven't figured out what I'm going to do, I went with the urn. It's beautiful, and if you so desired you could certainly just keep that on display somewhere. I'm probably going to bury it all, but I just need to figure that out. Inside the urn, the ashes are packed in the velvet pouches, and along with that you get your horse's shoes back. They are shined and beautiful.
Really hope you all don't think this is totally creepy...
And there's a small card on the inside with your name, your horse's name, and the date he or she passed. It's really thoughtfully done. There's some extra room, and I have his halter placed in there for now too.

So that's my truth today. Losing a horse is fucking hard, but there are wonderful people out there to help things go as smoothly as possible. And eventually, I bet I'll be able to walk by the peanuts at the grocery store without crying. But not yet.

26 comments:

  1. sending so many hugs, my heart is still breaking for you, and the suddenness of all of this. i really appreciate you sharing these details tho. like you say, it's important to know, even if it's devastating to think about. thank god for the kindness of people who are there to offer compassionate services in these times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you <3
      It's something I realized I needed to research back when Rio got sick. Thankfully, it was quite a while before I needed to actually use the info. But I'm glad I already had a plan in place when the time came.

      Delete
  2. When I had to have my childhood pony put down suddenly, my best friend was desperately googling cremation services for me because I had NO idea what to do. I ended up finding a similarly wonderful place. The people built the facility on their family farm to put their daughters through college. They have even cremated zoo animals. Since then I've given their number to several other people. Jampy's urn is beautiful (I ended up with Rubbermaid tubs because I was poor lol) and I love that they shined his shoes!

    When I lost my pony, I felt like every time I closed my eyes I could 'see' it happening again. Time does make that better, although you will love and miss him forever ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do a nice job, it's so wonderful to know there are services like this out there.
      And yes, that's exactly it. I keep seeing it over and over, and that's not how I want to remember him. But I have all the other memories too, and I know in time they'll be more prominent again.

      Delete
  3. The urn is lovely. Absolutely gorgeous! And the people sound wonderful. I love the polished shoes. I wish I could have done something like that, but... I'm at piece with my decision. I do have to say, cars are good for crying. I'm pretty sure I did most of my crying in the car. Lol.

    I'm impressed you have his halter in there! Years later my mare's halter is still on her hook in the tack room. It's dusty and needs cleaning, but it's hanging there with her bridle. I should really clean it... I think I moved her hook over to make room for my mini's hook when he joined the herd since he could NOT have Hayley's halter hook (they were the exact same color/style... my husband actually moved it over and put the new one in it's place, no questions asked...one of my more insane requests!). Anyway, sending you lots of hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well... I have one of his halters in there. My horses all have everyday halters that are nylon with their name on the cheek and the farm name on the nose. They wear them outside and are disgusting. That's the one that's in there. His pretty show one will get hung someplace.

      Delete
  4. What an incredible service to offer people. Making the arrangements for afterwards can be the hardest part. I was very lucky to have BM take care of everything for Bobby because I don't think I mentally could have handled it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely hard. Not just emotionally, but like, they're HUGE animals. His ashes weigh 50 lbs! This service, and this company in particular, is really wonderful. I'm so lucky to have them so close by.

      Delete
  5. I got my first horse cremated and the service I used was AMAZING. The lady came and even though I'd never met her, she cried with me. They were able to load Visa after I'd left so I didn't have to see that and called as soon as he was ready. I picked him up myself from the lady's home and his box now lives on a stand in my office. It really did feel like him "coming home" and especially since I don't own my own property, it's actually really nice to have him move with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they were the same, you could stay and watch or not. I didn't know what I wanted, so I said I'd be there and if at any point I didn't want to be, I'd just wander back inside the barn. But I stayed.
      That is a good point, not having to leave him behind if you move.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful service. I wish I had known of something like this when I lost my girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really something special. They're very well known in the area, so I'm thankful I already knew about them before I needed to actually use them.

      Delete
  7. I am so sorry for your loss <3
    What a beautiful urn - I love the special touch of the shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you <3
      They really do a nice job. I'm in awe that they go so far for every single horse they see.

      Delete
  8. My mom had offered to get Carlos cremated for me but we don't have a fancy service like that and I didn't want to lug a bag of ashes with me from place to place (because at the time I was still contemplating moving to Georgia for Grad School). I ended up donating his body to the vet school. My Trainer was nice enough to cut his tail for me while he was eating his 25lbs of carrots and my farrier had removed his shoes and fired them the day before. I even still have his pad from his bad foot.

    The sadness still comes over me in waves, waves that are strong and all consuming. I still cry and it's been almost 6 years, I don't think I'll ever stop crying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's also a solid choice. I'm all for furthering education as well.
      It will hurt forever. I still hurt for Bud and I lost him in 1998. But how lucky are we to know a love like that?

      Delete
  9. Thanks for sharing this - I can't believe what an amazing service that company offers. When I saw his shoes in the urn, my eyes teared up. My heart goes out to you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so amazing. And honestly the nicest people I have ever met. Ever. When they arrived, these two giant men, they introduce themselves and give a great big bear hug and tell you how very sorry they are. You become their family. It's really special.

      Delete
  10. There's a place about an hour or so away from me that is an equine burial farm. They have 400 acres, will come and pick up the body and bury it. All the graves are marked on a map and they encourage people to visit. My trainer has two buried out there and she and her kids have gone to see them. My plan was to call them for Phoenix, but I was lucky enough to have him buried at the farm he was living at when we put him down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! That's a wonderful option too! We don't have available land like that around here.

      Delete
  11. Wow. That's an awesome service with so many nice, little touches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do such a wonderful job. I'm so fortunate to have them just one town over.

      Delete
  12. What a wonderful service. You are right that being with them at the end is so very hard. And I wouldn’t trade being there. I lost Steele a few years ago and I still cry over it. He’s buried on my property with a magnolia tree planted on his grave. A local person helped bring him home and dug the grave for us. We never ever saw a bill. And he didn’t even know us. Ed found out who he was and gave him a gift card.

    You loved Jampy with your whole heart and he deserves to be grieved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to know that there are still people like that in this world. So selfless and understanding.
      He sure does. I miss him so much.

      Delete
  13. Thank you for sharing your story - It’s a beautiful way to keep Jampie with you and now I know what to research so I understand my options. Cars are my favorite place for privacy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading <3 I was hoping it might be a helpful post for someone!

      Delete