Friday, April 5, 2019

Jampy

I wasn't expecting to write this post. Today around 11:30 am I  say goodbye to Jampy. He is in late stage kidney failure, and there's really nothing more that can help him. My vet calls it a silent killer because you don't really see the signs until it's much too late to reverse them. It's possible, likely even, that this is what contributed to his founder last year. There's really no way to know in retrospect. I suppose it doesn't really matter anymore.
The only nice thing in all of this is that today, he gets to eat whatever he wants. A whole bag of carrots? Sure! 467 peppermints? You got it big guy. Whatever you want. I've groomed him about 75 times since getting the blood work results last night. I think he's probably tired of me by now. I came inside to let my helper have some time alone to say good bye. They've been together almost as long as Jampy and I have. I didn't really know what to do with myself this morning, so here I am, typing this post. It seems wrong somehow to start writing this while he's still out in the barn, alive and, well, not quite well. But alive. In a few hours he'll be gone. Just like that.
I'm not sure how Rio will do alone in the barn. We will have to see. He's been ok before when Jamp was away showing, but it was always a short time, a few days, a week max. Maybe Eros will come home for a bit. Maybe I'll find a rescue pony. I don't know. Those boys are best friends, and I'm sure Rio will feel this is as much as I do.
I want to sit down and write a proper send off to my boy. But I can't do that right now. Right now, I need to go stuff him full of whatever he wants and tell him how much I love him.

40 comments:

  1. Oh Stacie I am so so sorry to read this <3 This is completely unfair. Hugs and many peppermints to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so, so sorry Stacie. Sending giant internet hugs to you and a whole bag of peppermints to Jamp. I'll be thinking of you both today 💔

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh no, i'm so sorry, my heart is breaking for you <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so so sorry. Sending you the biggest hugs possible and all the treats to Jampy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry Stacie. Sending you and the boys love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this sucks so hugely I can't even describe how much it sucks but I know you are living it!! He was loved so well by you and you are the very best owner by letting him go, it may not feel like it now but it is better for him to go now than be really sick (I had a dog with kidney failure and it is not fun at all) and sicker as it goes on. UGH This sucks. Nothing else to say....if i could send you a virtual pony/donkey I would....Hugs!! Jampy you were one in a million!! Love ya Stacie we are all here for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you <3
      That's exactly what I said once he was gone. I was like, "well. this really sucks." And my vet was like, yeah. It really does.

      Delete
  7. I am so so sorry to hear this. Horses really do know how to break our hearts. Keeping you both in my thoughts. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omg Stacie, I'm so sorry to read this. He lived such an incredible life with you and I loved getting to know him through your blog. He's going to be missed by so many people! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was pretty entertaining, wasn't he? Thank you <3

      Delete
  9. Oh Stacie, I am so very very sorry. This is such a hard gift to give. I am glad that you are there for him. He was loved and will be missed, even by those who don't know him. Give yourself time to grieve. When I lost Steele, Irish grieved as much as I did but responded well to a new companion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you <3
      Rio seems completely fine with everything. Which is a little weird, but I'll take it. I'm still deciding what to do for a companion for him.

      Delete
  10. I am so sorry to hear this, my heart is breaking for you. As a horse owner, this is one of the hardest things we have to go through.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no! I'm so sorry to read this. :-( I can't imagine how hard that will be for you and for Rio. May Jampy enjoy his peppermints and other treats today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you <3
      Rio seems perfectly ok with everything, which makes things a big easier.

      Delete
  12. I am so sorry :( *hugs* it's so hard to let them go even when it's the right thing and Jamps loss will echo through you for a long time. I hope Rio copes ok. Jamps was a great horse and you took the best care of him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stacie, I am so so sorry to hear this. I hope Jampy enjoys his peppermints and carrots and snuggles. And I hope you know that you took great care of him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so so sorry to read this. I am very sorry for your loss and I hope that you got some good quality time with your boy before he crossed the rainbow bridge. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you <3
      He was pretty sick by that morning, but I fed him all the treats he wanted, and groomed him.

      Delete
  15. I am so, so sorry to hear this Stacie. It's always incredibly hard to say goodbye and we never get enough time with them <3 Sending you all my love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you <3
      Never enough time! I miss him so much.

      Delete
  16. I'm so, so sorry. You took such incredible care of him ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sorry to hear this!! My heart breaks for you and Rio!

    ReplyDelete