Wednesday, April 10, 2019

What's Up Wednesday

I mean, we all know how the week went. But life still happens, so let's see what else there is to talk about...
I took Friday off from work for... let's just call it "The Thing". After that happened, I felt a little out of sorts (obviously). So I just sat in the barn for a bit with Rio. Then I headed off to see Eros, because he's my new therapist.
He was, of course, perfect. Just what I needed really. After that I headed back home to groom and feed Rio. He was perfectly content despite his lack of roommates. Thank goodness. I don't really remember what else I did on Friday. Nothing productive I know that. I think I snuggled the pugs and went to bed.

Saturday was my first full day as a single (and a half) horse owner. It was full of some ridiculous comic relief that was definitely much needed... So my first task of the day was to fix the section of fence that we had to take down the day before. I head out there with my drill in hand ready to get to work, only to realize I have the wrong drill bit. And some of the screws were bent. Poop. Not the end of the world, I headed off to the hardware store, grateful for a task to keep me preoccupied. I love the local hardware store. It's still privately owned, with the friendliest of staff. And everything is so cheap! Seriously, a drill bit was $1. And some additional screws (way more than I needed) were like $2.50. AND I had the presence of mind to remember that my car was getting low on oil and would need a quart soon so I picked that up too. I was feeling pretty proud of myself for having a semi functional brain. (Pats self on back.)
And back home I went, only to be frustrated by how poorly this part of the fence had been constructed. But let's not get hung up on that drama again. I got it put back together as best I could and then it was time to go ride Eros. I started inside and then went out, and he was perfect as per the norm with him. It was a beautiful sunny day, and somewhat warm. Much needed.
After Eros, I made sure to spend plenty of time with Rio. First we groomed. Then we went for a hand walk in the ring.
And we followed that up with some of the first spring grass of the season. Which is very limited due to that whole septic saga last year...
He looks fantastic though. Coat is shiny, he's put weight on in the right places. Last year he had a hay belly but was very ribby. This year, he has better coverage over his rib cage. I think the little bit of high fat food I added to his diet has helped.

And then the pugs and I hung out for a bit in the sun.

I fed Rio dinner, and then had to figure out what to do with myself. I had decided that I was shirking all responsibilities other than taking care of the animals for the weekend. So that left me with a free evening. I decided to go get some dinner, and realized I was really jonesing for some comfort food. And settled on Taco Bell. Which is 25 minutes from my house. (I never admitted to thinking rationally.)
So off I drove to Taco Bell. Which had a very long drive through line. (Worth it.) While I was sitting in the line the oil light came on in my car. Fortunately, this light just means I need to add one quart. Which I had since I picked that up in the morning. But then I realized I hadn't gotten a paper funnel. And my car was super hot from driving 25 (highway) minutes to Taco Bell. BUT, all was not lost. Because right next to my fast food mecca was Home Depot. I mean, sometimes the stars just align for you, ya know? It was the least the universe could do really. So I popped in there and got a funnel and some rags. Added my oil, and headed home to devour my meal.

Sunday the barn was having a schooling horse show for just riders at the barn. Lesson kids and boarders were welcomed to participate. Since Eros has been on light work only, I opted not to. With everything going on leading up to the little show, that was definitely the right choice. I spent the day there though cheering for everyone and learning how to use my Canon Rebel. I got lucky and a few shots came out really well! I'd share, but I don't have permission from the riders to post them here, so I'm not going to. Sorry. After the show was over, I popped home to give Rio lunch (it was early, around 2.) Then headed back to ride Eros who was perfect as usual.

The trainers and a few others were going to head out on a trail ride to get the horses out that hadn't shown, and I was invited along. They gave me a boarder horse who was an absolute angel. Unfortunately, the trainers' horses were NOT being angels, and we had to cut things a bit short. But it was nice to be included. And even more nice to have a lovely quiet mount under me for the shenanigans! No photos because it really was a shit show though. Haha!

And that was that for the weekend. Monday was back to the usual grind and an attempt to get back to life as it was. I had a couple visitors after work who brought me beautiful flowers and cards. It helped a lot.
Oh I nearly forgot! Eros had his follow up appointment on Monday too, during my lunch break. He has the go ahead to start doing more, so I'm going to build him back to jumping really slowly. We're allowed to do poles on the ground and raised cavelletti without a lesson, so I'm going to start with that stuff for a couple weeks and then see about a lesson and doing some little jumps. I plan to take it slow so we don't go backwards at all.
 His superman browband from Dark Jewel Designs arrived yesterday, and it's one of the highlights of my life right now.
Big thanks to Amelia for dealing with it, as it was super tricky to get that charm not to bounce!

And that's what's up this Wednesday. What's up with you guys?

12 comments:

  1. that browband is just everything. We also had Taco Bell this past weekend the drive through was so long we went in and still waited 20 minute but so worth it :) HA!

    I am glad you are keeping busy!! And glad Eros can get back to work. Rio looks really good this year! YAY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so love the browband! He looks so cute when his forelock parts!
      Taco Bell is the best. I really wish I could get there more often. My arteries probably disagree though.

      Delete
  2. It's great all your errand things worked out - I love independently owned hardware stores, they are so hard to come by. I'm glad you have Eros to play therapy pony and that Rio is doing well too. *hugs* It's also nice to be included in stuff at the barn even if the trainers are a little so-so. And yay for Eros being able to do more work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice to be able to see all the good around, even during the sad times.

      Delete
  3. That browband is a whole mood. I am glad you have been able to keep busy and that Eros is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so perfect for him! He's a total superhero.

      Delete
  4. Keeping busy is a good thing. I love that browband!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank god for the universe occasionally being kind right exactly when we need it <3 <3 love the new browband and glad you got to enjoy a weekend filled with just the things you wanted and nothing else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I mean the universe could have gone a little softer from the beginning, but I'll take what I can get ;)

      Delete
  6. Sometimes, you just gotta eat your feelings. I'm right there with you girl <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eating my feelings is something I'm quite good at... Lol!

      Delete