Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Truthful Tuesday

 


I'm trying to feel more comfortable about straying from my usual training schedules. I tend to be more of a type A person. I love a good set of rules. Schedules make me happy. Change is uncomfortable. You know the type. (I know, I even annoy myself sometimes.) But you know who is NOT generally very type A? Horses. I mean, yes, they do tend to thrive with a schedule and rules are important when handling 1300 lb animals. Yes to all of that. But they also don't necessarily want those schedules to apply when it's 13 degrees out with a feels like of 1. And maybe your plan for the day might go out the window when the wind is blowing so hard there is a possibility that the indoor will just blow right down. And when the paddock is a sheet of ice with no texture to it whatsoever so the horses are stuck in for the weekend? Maybe not the best time to demand your horse show up for lateral work. 

Certain people within my circle don't necessarily believe that very cold temperatures aren't great for horses' lungs. Despite lots of studies suggesting exactly that. And I used to care so much that I wouldn't be considered a wimp and would ride no matter what. But I don't anymore. Nothing terrible will happen to my horses if they have an extra day off every now and then. Maybe it's age? I dunno. But I really don't give two poops if someone thinks I'm being a wimp anymore. And not just about the cold. If I choose to lunge my horse, or skip jumping, or whatever the task may be because I think my horse is about to send me to China, I'm going to follow my gut. I may not be a horse trainer, but I do consider myself a horseman. (Horsewoman? I dunno, you get what I mean!) I think I'm having some success getting Al turned around, even if it's slow going. And I did that by following my gut (and consulting my vet!).

Anyway, I'm not usually one to toot my own horn, especially when it comes to horses. But I'm trying to change that a little. Confidence comes from believing in yourself and I need to work on that. I think Al is going to be the horse to teach me that. Time will tell!

4 comments:

  1. i was suuuuper low key thru the worst of the weather too lol! like, there are definitely times when i power through, esp if we're preparing for something... but, eh, horses are so resilient -- a little time off here and there usually ends up being more of a net positive than anything else (esp if the alternative is getting launched to china, omfg). so glad to hear Al is responding so well to your approach with him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes same! If we had a show coming up or whatever, then we would do the thing. But we don't so... let's just take a breath.

      Delete
  2. I have zero desire to work in freezing temperatures. And even less desire to prove I have the guts to ride my horse through a completely avoidable disaster. Honestly, people who want to judge will anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is SO TRUE! People who like to judge to make themselves feel a certain sort of way will do so regardless of what you do or don't do. I'm all about setting up for success and avoiding failure when possible.

      Delete