Wednesday, August 19, 2020

What's Up Wednesday

 

Not a whole lot to report this week really. I'm still waiting on doc to come see Pammon, but he does seem to be walking a bit better, so hopefully whatever he did is on the mend? We've been walking in the mornings before work. 

Eros has actually been a good dude this week. Though, funny story... He likes to spook by the pine tree next to the ring. I've been streaming "How I Met Your Mother" on my phone while I ride from my phone. I just leave it in my pocket and listen while we work. I let it play through the phone speakers. Anyway, he was being super relaxed last night, and JUST as I was about to canter past the scary tree (most days we come back to trot past that area but I was feeling brave), the people on the show started screaming. Scared the poo out of poor Eros! Lol. My bad. Thankfully he was over it quickly and it didn't mess with the rest of our ride. We're still plugging away at our trot poles, though this one time he wasn't paying attention...

Maybe I'll stick to posting for now. Here's the longer video of our ride from that day.

And Shiny... Oh Shiny. We're going through something. I'm not sure what exactly. I can't decide if I need to back off and let her have an easy week, or if I need to push through and get after her. Here's what's been happening.

We did a jump school over the weekend that wasn't stellar. It wasn't bad. It just wasn't great. 

From watching the videos I KNOW I'm a significant part of the problem. But we're definitely going through some stuff. On my end, I'm for sure pulling too much, and locking up my elbows. I know this about me. Always been a thing. (I'm trying to fix it! It's just taking some time...)

But on Shiny's end we have a few issues. Her responses to my aids are... intermittent. If that makes sense. Like, she does listen fairly well to a half halt, but at the same time, I have trouble pulling her up. So I can slow down, but I can't stop. And the leg? She listens well to my leg, but only when we're jumping. On the flat? Psh. Forget it. She's always been lazy and a bit obstinate. But lately she's just giving me the equine finger. And last night she flat out refused to canter. I did finally get some canter out of her, but she was kicking out any time I put my leg on to keep her going. I palpated all over her back when I got off and she's completely non-reactive. Legs all look good. So I don't think it's a physical issue. I think she's just feeling a little sour. I'm just not sure if I need to be assertive and get through this, or if I need to back off a little and get her in a better head space. Mares. They're so tricky! We went through almost the same thing last year, but I honestly don't remember what got us through it. 

Here are some clips from our jump school. I just strung together the actual jumps so you can't really see our issues here. But they're really not jumping related I don't think. She definitely enjoys that part!

And because I am not one to hide the ugly, please enjoy this clip of me not trusting we'd make it out of this line... (From two angles)

So that's what the tall kids have been up to this week! The short kids are doing well. They haven't done anything fun in awhile because it's been too hot for puggers to play outside. It's starting to cool off already though, so we'll get back to playing outside soon. Artie and I celebrated our 7th anniversary on Friday! Seven years with him! I hope we get at least 7 more.

And the last bit of news... Remember the Celeris boots I reserved at xmas time but didn't order until May? Well... they're on a plane right now!!!! I CANNOT WAIT FOR THEM TO GET HERE!!!! Look:

I know! Amazing. So unicorn. I've been tracking them like 100 times a day.

And that's really it from here this week. How about you guys? Horses being agreeable? Any thoughts on when to push and when to back off? 


14 comments:

  1. every time I think you can't possibly top yourself with the boots.... you do. and in the best ways! I love those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol i read this and was like, 'hm, maybe charlie is actually a little golden pony mare?!?' bc damn that sounds familiar hahahahaha.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the boots!!

    Mares, what is up with them? I'm just relearning the joy of mares now... lol Hopefully it is just a bit of attitude wit her and nothing more serious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is why I'm a gelding person! Lol! But I love her. 'Tude and all.

      Delete
  4. I think June and Shiny both just feel they're too pretty for what we are asking them to do lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh DEFINITELY! And they just feel they need to remind us from time to time.

      Delete
  5. Holy moly those boots are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those boots!! I'm not sure that they are blingy enough though. :D

    I watched the video and I wonder if the saddle is bugging her? She's looking quite fit and maybe her shape has changed. That was my first thought.

    The other is that she just doesn't want to go forward and it's hot and she just worked the other day and.....so forth. With Carmen I have found lunging her and being really firm on the 'forward' part and that I have the right to ask that has helped a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything is possible, but she doesn't show any positivity at all when I palpate. She did this last year too so I feel like it's probably not the saddle? But who knows. She doesn't really lunge, but maybe this is the perfect time to work on that! I definitely agree with you, ground work is so beneficial for establishing relationship. Good suggestion for us, thank you!

      Delete