Thursday, August 6, 2020

What's up... Thursday?


Okay... Who had multiple day power outage on your 2020 Bingo Card for August? I sure didn't. But here we are. Tropical storm on Tuesday and now no power and no cable/internet at the farm. (Hence my delayed post!) The no power thing is tolerable since my dad gifted my brother and I on demand generators that run literally everything. SO nice because without power, I don't have water otherwise. Which is tough with the horses. So thankfully that's a non issue. But the no internet thing is a bit of a problem when I'm supposed to be working from home. For some reason, my phone won't allow me to use it as a hotspot all of a sudden (I mean... 2020 right?) so that's not an option right now either. Poop. Our office is at max capacity with the covid rules so I'm not able to go there either (not that I want to). So I was given the option to use vacation time, or find myself somewhere to work. Fortunately, my dad's guest house didn't lose power and is uninhabited, so I'm covid safe there and can work. Phew. Kinda lame they'd make me use vacation time when they can't accommodate someplace for me to work... but whatever. I figured it out. So let's recap the past week!
It was busy! Friday I took a half day because both Pammon and Eros had rechecks with the vet. 
Pammon got a good report on the front leg, but was positive on his hock flexions (not surprising) and is quite back sore. I haven't done any maintenance on him and he is 13, so the hocks were expected and we went ahead and injected those. 
Hock injection cocktail hit him hard... hahaha!

The back didn't surprise me either. I've been using the Voltaire on him and it's not fitting him well unfortunately. So I guess I have to actually get moving on looking for a saddle. I'm long over due, but was hoping to wait a little longer to save up a bit more. Oh well. That's why credit cards exist I guess. I think I want to do something new, just can't decide between Hermes and Butet. I plan to contact reps for both and see what I can get scheduled. ANYWAY, Pammon had the weekend off due to his injections, so we spent our time hand walking. 
Oh and he also had to get staples in his leg... because you know. 2020.

I was worried he'd be a cuckoo bird Tuesday morning for my ride, especially with the storm coming, so I rode indoors. Just in case. I needn't have worried. He was great. He's been good all week so far too, though today he was LAZY. I expected a beast since it was almost cold this morning (in the 60's) after being sweltering for the last several weeks. But nope. Lazy. I'll take it though. I much prefer that to the crazies!
Eros had a good check up too. The leg is looking good. BUT he's very unfit and dragging his feet behind. So he was prescribed LOTS OF TROT POLES. ALL the trot poles. He is allowed to do a little canter now too, but doc wants my focus on the trot poles to get him using himself and build some fitness. I was a little skeptical of trot poles so soon, but doc pointed out that he never actually had a tear or lesion on his leg. it was more of a strain. So he's not worried about the poles causing any troubles. So basically, he can do unlimited trot work (with lots of pole trotting) and a little bit of canter. That little bit of canter (or maybe all those hard working poles) have made a big difference with his mindset and he hasn't been quite so spooky. Thank goodness. Getting my mellow boy back! The consensus was, he probably does need his hocks done, and possibly his SI, but we are going to wait and get some muscle built back up first and then see what we have. I like that about my vet, he's not quick to inject. 
So I've set up some trot poles on the ground on one end of the ring and some raised ones at the other end, and we've been going through them over and over and over... 
Shiny didn't have a vet visit, so she's been business as usual. We jumped around a little on Sunday. It was hot and we were both just a little off our game I think as I could NOT flow to a nice distance... there were a bunch of long ones and a few pull and chips... but she went around and really doesn't ever take offense at my mistakes. Much appreciated.


She jumps a little wide when I miss...

In other news, I was supposed to fly up to VT with my dad and older brother (& fam) on Saturday, but little bro posted photos of himself on a sunset cruise boat the night before with a bunch of friends... so we canceled that. I'm surprised that was even a thing right now during Covid. Also surprised my brother would do that with Dad coming to visit. But I dunno. Kids. 

I went inside my first public building (other than the barn) for the first time this week too. My dentist appointment I scheduled six months ago wasn't canceled so I figured I should go. I had a Monday morning 8 AM appointment so I thought that's as safe as it gets. All went well and in two weeks time I'll know for sure I didn't catch anything! Kidding (sort of). It was very clean, and quick. 

So that's about it from here at my remote, remote office.
How was your week? Check anything else off your 2020 bingo card?

9 comments:

  1. That sucks that your office couldn't accommodate you and then was going to make you take vacation time, ugh. But glad you figured out a solution, and that the vet visit went well(ish) -- minus the staples! Shiny is so cute <3 not that Eros and Pammon aren't equally as fabulous but I just love her haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I mean, I used to own the place... Their priorities are now 100% about their wallets and zero percent about people unfortunately.
      Isn't she just the cutest? I love her so much.

      Delete
  2. I lost power last week when it was 92*. It was out overnight (11:30pm-3am) and I was tempted to get a hotel so I could sleep since it was so hot. I'm glad you were able to go to your dad's place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really tough without A/C when it's like that! I'm so glad I got the generator. After spending over a week without power a few years back, I'm SOOOO grateful to have that now!

      Delete
  3. Ugh no power and no internet sucks. But, is that an ocean view? I feel like there are worse places to work from... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fake ocean, yes! My dad lives on the Long Island Sound which isn't quite ocean but close enough!

      Delete
    2. ah! I had to google map that as I wasn't quite certain of my geography there!

      Delete
  4. Ah you had a co-terminus catastrophe lol - my work is trying to figure out what to do in that event

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! It was annoying, glad to be on the other side!

      Delete