Wednesday, August 12, 2020

What's Up Wednesday

 

Well. I guess we should jump right in and talk about Pammon. It's a REALLY good thing he's the sweetest horse on the planet. So we did his hocks last weekend and stapled up his wound. He had the weekend off and started back to work Tuesday. All was going just fine. Friday I put him down for a trainer ride because I needed to not get up at 6 for one day. (I know. I'm the laziest. But self care, right?) And I got a phone call around 10 am that he was VERY lame. 
(Warning... there's a bad word at the end of that clip)
I wasn't freaked out though. He was off right hind, which is where the staples are, so I felt fairly confident the staples must have shifted or something and were bothering him.
Fortunately, our vet was in the area and was able to fit us in at the end of the day. My vet goes above and beyond for us honestly. He had a full day and pulled into the farm at 7 pm to see what was going on. First they just jogged him without any flexions or anything. He wasn't sound, but it wasn't as horrifying as the above video. But then doc flexed him, just his ankle, and he was three legged, crippled lame.
So next came the blocks. Nothing got him to block sound, and he was numb all the way up through the stifles.  So what does that mean? It means we don't know what's wrong. Since we did all the blocks, we couldn't ultra sound. Basically, we're hopeful he tore a muscle but we don't actually know yet. Doc comes back this Friday for further investigation. We're hand walking twice a day until then. So cross all your crossables that he tore a muscle because that's really the best case scenario. Obviously, this is super frustrating. I didn't plan to show this year, but I also didn't plan to start over from the beginning either. 
Anyway. I talked about my jump school with Shiny yesterday. MAYBE there's a chance my Pammon stress carried over to my ride. She's been a good girl either way. Here's a little video of the not so terrible parts:
She was rewarded with snacks for her putting up with me.
Eros is back to being a pain in the ass spookasaurus. I know he needs a free lunge but he's not allowed to have one yet. I REALLY look forward to that day though. Like, so much. He's such a good dude, that even when he's bat shit crazy wild. all he does is spook fairly mildly (at nothing). Which I fully appreciate. But also, how can one be wild when it's been 90 degrees with 93% humidity? How?? Despite the spooks, we've been doing our prescribed trot poles.
But we have been struggling with the raised ones. Thursday (after having done them successfully many times prior) he decided to jump into them. Dear lord, I thought we were going to die. We didn't. Fortunately. But since then he does his best to knock them down the first time through. I think he knows I'm too lazy to get off and fix them. He wouldn't be wrong.

Do you think I'll ever get my hands out of my lap? I doubt it.

We are working on his dad bod. The topline... needs work. The more he spooks though, the more I make him put himself together and really work so maybe that will be beneficial. 

In other wacky news... Saturday night, just as I finished cleaning pee off the floor (my dogs are housebroken and RARELY have accidents, but this is 2020 so here we are) when I heard tires squeal and a crash. It's been awhile, so I'm not sure if you remember, but fairly regularly people crash their cars at the end of my road. Apparently this dude didn't realize the road was ending and tried to take a 90 degree turn going about 50 mph. He didn't make it around, obviously, and flipped his truck on its side. He was very lucky and walked away without a scratch on him. Always some excitement in the neighborhood.

Other than all that... things are the same! Just working and horsing. How was your week/weekend? 

6 comments:

  1. i think i tried to will your reference to Pammon in yesterday's post out of existence :( ugh, my fingers are seriously crossed for you bc what the actual F, horses, why tho..... ugh. any time i see or hear of a crazy-out-of-nowhere crippling lameness my first thought is always abscess but.... idk if that's a little too optimistic to hope for? anyway, keep us posted and i'm glad to hear the other hooligans are doing well (even if Eros is kinda being a pill...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it was abscess! But he would have blocked sound if that's what it was.
      I think Eros reads the blog because he was a very good boy last night!

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about Pammon 😭 you deserve a 2021 with ZERO bad things happening to make up for all the crap the last few years, ugh. Hopefully it's nothing too serious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a bumpy... many years. Maybe 2021 will be better!

      Delete