Wednesday, July 8, 2020

What's Up Wednesday


I had hoped to have some super fun comparative media for all of you this week, but unfortunately, my Soloshot and I are in a fight. I'm not 100% sure what the issue is, but it may be a "not compatible with my mac based products" problem. That would figure. I'll keep tinkering on the weekends with it though. And hey, at least the Pivo is semi reliable! I will say, that thing is super easy to use. It would be amazing if they could tweak it a bit more to follow just a little better. But even if not, it's still really impressive for the price point. 
This was my first week home with Eros and Shiny, and it's been fantastic. I love having them here. We got off to a bit of a slow start with riding last week because it was raining every single day. We rode everyday, but the first few were light due the footing. I think that's sorted itself out now though. It's been dragged a couple times and it's feeling more like it used to. 


I've decided to keep Eros at his five minutes of trot for an extra week since last week was so inconsistent. So starting next week we bump up to ten minutes. He's been a good boy, but I can tell he's feeling a little fresh. We call it "Eros wild." It's not like normal wild. Not at all. When you have "Eros Wild", you have a horse that's still pretty perfectly behaved, but sometimes he gives a little baby spook. I'm confident once we move to ten minutes of trot that will go away though. Five minutes isn't enough time to warm up, let alone try and get his attention. Despite his wildness being a little alert, he's still perfect. And exceptionally photogenic.



Though not so much when he's grazing maybe...
Shiny has been great! She's slightly less motivated in the smaller ring. It's definitely harder to get her moving forward. But it's also been pretty hot and muggy. She's certainly more sure footed on my sand footing than she was at the boarding barn on the GGT. I dunno, I guess we're just too backyard for fancy footing? 
#backyardbarn

My mom has been feeling a little down with quarantine, so I invited her over Saturday for a little socially distant outdoor socialization. Plus, I figured it would be nice to have a human around for my first time jumping at home. Win win for both of us!
We kept the jumps little since this is only her 4th time jumping since last fall and the first time at home. She was very unimpressed, and I think next time we can go up a hole or two. I'm really sad that Pivo didn't see us jumping the outside line, because those were the only fences she actually jumped, the others she just cantered over.


Kinda jumped this one because I chipped so badly... Sorry Shiny.


It was great having Friday off. More weekends should be three days. Or all of them. All of them would be nice. I was able to finish getting everything packed into the trailer and motivated myself to turn it around and unhook it. Also got the bucket guards on the show buckets, so we're fully prepared for next year when I'm REALLY hoping to horse show!
Getting the trunk in there myself required some helpful objects and a little brute strength.

I have a few things I want/need for shows still. Namely a small freezer for ice boots (for week long shows) and new stall fans. My ones in the barn had died so my old show ones are now in use in the barn. But otherwise the tack room is full and ready to go. Oh and Shiny has a shipping halter en route that will go in there too.

And I've been playing with the Cricut some more too. I had a bunch of baby pads that used to be for showing, and I decided to make them better. I've only done two so far... One with my logo and one for a future Thursday's Threads:

This thing is so fun. I want to decorate everything I own. 
I did get to spend some time with my dad, stepmom, brother, & his fam for 4th of July evening. My dad lives on the beach, so we were able to watch all the amateur fireworks shows. (Real shows were all canceled in my state for the most part.) 

I know we all hate fireworks for our animals... But I do enjoy watching them. Especially at the beach where the horses aren't! I leave my pups home too, though they actually don't mind them much.

How was your week/weekend? Did you get to do anything for the 4th, or just usual quarantine status?

14 comments:

  1. I am coveting a Cricut machine right now because I love to label ALL THE THINGS! Those baby pads look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      It's such a fun machine, and so easy to use!

      Delete
  2. omggggg Shiny is SO unimpressed by that jump haha, she is so freakin cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eros is SO handsome! And I'm loving all the personalization with the Cricut. Now I'm reminding myself I don't need more toys, I don't need more toys 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I mean.... you could label everything. In teal.

      Delete
  4. Eros - what a hunk! Glad you are having fun riding at home again! Those pads look great - the Cricut is a wonderful thing. I haven't succumbed to getting one yet, but maybe someday I will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      It's SO fun! I can't believe it took me so long to get it up and running!

      Delete
  5. Where the heck did you get those bucket guards?! That is SO handy and injury preventative!
    Also, I would absolutely end up going overboard if I ever got a cricut. We can add that to the list of craft supplies I should not ever buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're from Scheiders! I have used them in the barn since I built it, and I do love them. Occasionally you have a horse that likes to pull them off... but most of them leave them alone.
      The Cricut is so fun! But yeah... it can get expensive buying supplies!

      Delete
  6. Hmmm a cricut machine....
    Eros wild sounds a lot like Irish wild, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the most harmless wild ever! Interesting though, he's nearly as suspicious of the end of my ring as Jampy was. I find that surprising! But I think once he's in work it will go away.

      Delete