Wednesday, January 29, 2020

What's Up Wednesday

This week has been nutty at work. I'm sure you've heard about the Wuhan Coronavirus outbreak. Well... when you sell PPE (personal protective equipment) things get a little cray cray. We've about sold out of masks, and China won't sell us anymore for at least five months. We have some on the water, but only enough to fill our regular orders. It stings an awful lot to turn away business, but what can you do? Can't sell what you don't have! Basically we spend 80% of our days right now saying no we can't sell you 300 cases of masks. No, not even for triple the regular price. (Though that is tempting! It's also price gouging which is kinda illegal.) Anyway, I could probably just make a recording to play into the phone and take the rest of the week off...
Things have been fairly quiet around here still. I somehow caught another cold, which I think is finally going away. So annoying.

Basically how I spend my free time these days. 
In horsey news, Eros had his training ride last week. Barn owner wouldn't use my two ring on him because I don't have bit guards on it. (Eye roll, it doesn't pinch him, if it did, I would use them.) So instead she used her three ring. And she got him round and under himself pretty easily. I was feeling like kind of a shitty rider when I saw that, but then I put a three ring in his mouth and had the same reaction. So evidently that extra ring really helps. I found a french link two ring that I rode him in last night and really loved. I didn't like the three ring so much. It made it easier to get him round, yes, but he was kind of pissed at it, and it felt a little fake. The two ring lets us have a conversation, and I liked how he went in it. I was using just a single jointed two ring previously. What I've learned in the last few weeks of playing with bits is that he's okay in a single joint, HATES a Dr. Bristol, but seems happy enough in a french link. As for jumping, I tried the Peter Pletcher bit on him for a couple of lessons, but didn't really love it.
I stole this photo from Farmhouse Tack's website
He listened better, but I had no shape to him, which still made it difficult to place him where I wanted. It was  better than the pelham we'd been using though.
So for my lesson on Saturday I put him in the bit I hate. The leather segunda. He goes really well in it. But like... it's a segunda. Ugh. Why does this horse like this bit? It's kind of awful if you ask me. But he does. So odd. I mean, he's terrible to flat in it. But he's wonderful over fences. And I still hate it. Horses are weird.
Sunday after we finished our work, my friend and I took our horses for a walk outside. The property is pretty amazing at the boarding barn. There are two large ponds, a beach, and lots of trails right there. Since Eros hasn't been ridden outdoors in months, we opted just for a short walk out to the beach and back. He started to get a little fresh toward the end, but he was pretty perfect otherwise.

Shiny is doing well with her foot. Everything seems to have hardened up at this point, so today she is having turnout in a quarter sized med paddock for the first time in over a month. I'm sure she'll be very happy to have some freedom outdoors! We walked outside on Sunday, and she was a good girl out there. I'm really impressed with her attitude honestly. She's been stuck in a stall with just hand walking and she's really been fine with the whole thing. I haven't had to give her any sedatives to walk, even outdoors. I've walked her by herself in the indoor. I imagine if there were horses working that outcome might not have been the same. But still. She's been a very good patient.
With one exception... And this is HILARIOUS! So last week, Eros had his training ride at 7 am so I could come watch before work. So we're out in the indoor doing that, and I hear assistant trainer yelling heads up! I look up at the door and in gallops Shiny. Or rather, in trots Shiny really... She was having her stall cleaned, and pushed the door open and walked out. She is SUCH a typical pony, it kills me! Anyway, she trotted around the ring once (looking fantastically sound) and then went up to Eros, who stood like a statue while we caught her. Assistant Trainer was super apologetic about the whole thing, but honestly, I thought it was pretty funny. I know how Shiny is. Nobody got hurt. Alls well that ends well. I'm glad it was just Eros in the ring though! He's so chill. I'm planning to get back on her this weekend. Fingers crossed the tripping problem is a thing of the past and we can get back to work!

Pammon has no updates. I think he's doing fine though, and I am happy with the care at the vet clinic. I do miss my boy though! I haven't been to visit him. It's a few hours away, and I know he's in good hands. Plus I've been sick like every weekend. I feel a little guilty for not going up there though. I mean, when Rio was at Cornell, I was up there every weekend. And it was a four and a half hour drive! But also, I wasn't completely sure Rio was going to come home from there. I know Pammon will. When though? I have no idea. I'm guessing maybe March sometime.

Not much else to report other than my ridiculously expensive bareback pad arrived. I haven't used it yet, but it's gorgeous!

Did you all have a good week? Do anything fun? Get anything new?

10 comments:

  1. Horses are weird about bits. My BFF had a TON of trouble finding a bit her Thoroughbred Jumper liked. They ended up spending a season in a waterford-esque hackabit. SO MUCH BIT, but the horse LOVED it. He's gotten much more educated in the last year and now they can go show in just a two-ring, but sometimes you just gotta go with what the horse tells you they like *shrug*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so weird. Like why would you want something that jabs you in the face?

      Delete
  2. My family's safety company is in the same boat. LAX wanted to buy all their masks but my uncle refused because he wanted to save some for their normal orders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's chaos! We've determined that we're living in the movie ground hog day... same phone call over and over and over....

      Delete
  3. oh man, i do not envy the bit hunt.... hopefully you can find something that you both like!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very annoyed that 3 other people bought a Brockamp pad because of me and I'm the only one that doesn't have one yet because I wanted an out of stock color. Why, universe?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is that bareback pad suede? I'm not too fond of the suede for some reason it makes my legs feel like they are on fire.

    ReplyDelete