Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Truthful Tuesday: The one about retail therapy

You all know when things get rough around here, I tend to seek out new boots for comfort. But sometimes, I seek out other things too. After I lost Jampy so suddenly last year I focused my energy on picking out a belt and some bracelets made from his tail hair. I didn't plan on losing another horse so soon, so I went ahead and got whatever I liked.

Belt from Pony Locks


same belt, different angle

bracelets from Horse Hair Creations, Pony Locks, and the Sugar Lady

Same bracelets, different angle
So when I then lost Rio also suddenly, later in the year, I wasn't really sure what to do with his tail right away. I knew I wanted bracelets and a belt again, but the problem was, he and Jampy had the same color tail. I didn't want identical items, as I wouldn't be able to remember who was who. So I diverted my grief into designing similar yet different pieces.
These arrived first from Horse Hair Creations:

I decided it was okay for the green bracelet to be the same since it has a nameplate, so that will be on its way soon. Along with that I'm getting a thin wrap bracelet in black leather with a small round braid to match my new watch.
But the belt was the most tricky. Pony Locks has a few different but very similar designs. I asked if I could get one done in green leather, but she wasn't able. So I went on Etsy and talked to my leather working friend at The Sugar Lady, and we came up with something really fun. Based on a belt she made once before, we did some tweaking, added a nameplate and green leather, and we have a design we think will be really pretty.

Top is what she has made before, bottom two are options for mine. We're going to go with the top green one I think. Also the green will be a deep forest/hunter color, not this bright.
All of this was a great divergence to actually, you know, dealing with my feelings. And they're wonderful ways to remember my boys and carry them with me.
Plus these that you all did for me:

I wear them everyday. It's possible I've turned the corner into full on crazy horse lady. It's cool though, I've come to terms with that.
But I still had one more thing I needed to figure out. And that was what to do with the beautiful wooden urns that hold my boys' ashes. Currently, they are still sitting on the bench in my barn. But that's really not the ideal spot. I finally decided to have a shelf made for them above the bench, and for the wall between that shelf and the bench I had some art created. These beauties will hang there holding the boys' leather show halters:

They were done by Alpha Mare, and you should definitely check her out. Her work is incredible. I can't wait for these to arrive and get them on the wall. I hope it doesn't come across as shrine like... I'm not THAT crazy... Or am I?

Anyway, today's confession is that I spent a LOT of money memorializing these two guys. And I think it was worth every penny.

18 comments:

  1. So many gorgeous memorial items for your boys. I still haven't managed to send Stampede's hair off, although I didn't cry when I happened upon where my husband had hidden it from me (at my request) a few weeks ago. I struggle because I want something I can keep with me regularly and don't want something that I might ruin by doing so.

    My cross stitch I started well before he ever got sick is nearing completion though and I'm excited to get that framed and up on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I can't wait to see your cross stitch! I bet it's beautiful.
      There are a few people on etsy that will take pieces of hair and mix them into I'm guessing epoxy... not sure... to make pretty pendants/stone type things. They are very durable, so that could be an option too.

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of hanging their show halters. For years I hung Tristan's show halter on my bed post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had my hunter's halter hanging in my bedroom for a long while too. I'm hoping it looks as nice as I'm thinking!

      Delete
  3. i had a sugar lady bracelet from ages ago. right after I bought from her tho, she jacked her prices up A LOT. Her stuff is great but I'm just not in the spot to spend $110 on a bracelet anymore :(

    the little pendants of their faces are absolutely precious. it would be so boring for spicy tho - he has no markings!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they aren't cheap. She does everything herself though, so I get it. Like she even dyes her own leather.
      I love the pendants! She even seems to capture the shape of their faces really well. So you probably could still tell it was Spicy.

      Delete
    2. especially if she gives him bug eyes from seeing a leaf or the neighbors donkey or something :P :P :P :P

      Delete
  4. I haven't been able to send Batty's hair off. It's sitting in a bag on my counter so I see it every day, but I can't bring myself to do anything with it. I might just give it to my mom with some options and tell her to figure it out and see what happens. Maybe that'll help? And then she can give me the rest back? It's still braided from the vet office.

    I do have his hoof print still in a package. It's not exactly hidden, but it's in the envelope that the vet office sent it in. I didn't know they did the imprint and wasn't expecting it and I'm still not ready to look at it yet. One day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me longer with Jamp than it did for Rio. I think Jamp kind of trained me on what to expect. (Do not recommend losing multiple in a year though. Nope. Don't do it.) Also though, I didn't send all of it away. I kept a little, just in case something happened.

      Delete
    2. I really thought I was going to lose Subi after Batt... I'm shocked he bounced back as well as he did (thank you Nay Nay). But, he still has a ton of weight to gain... Losing 150lbs going into the winter isn't easy to regain...

      Delete
  5. You'll never regret spending money to remember your best boys. 100% worth it for the beautiful reminders of your handsome boys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Memorializing is always worth the money <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely items - well worth the money to have those memories.

    I love the paintings on the wooden shelves! Those are incredible. And the horse head charms (is that the right word?) for the necklace are amazing too. Do you have a link for that artist?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love them too.
      I do!
      Paintings: http://alpha-mare.com/
      Pendants: https://byandbyart.com/

      Delete
  8. What wonderful mementos. I love that belt. Well I love everything really. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do also. I'm so glad I was excessive on these things!

      Delete