Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Truthful Tuesday

It's funny how the weather can control my emotions. I've been having a bit of the winter doldrums. I mean, I can only walk trot the horse, (which I'm not complaining exactly, it's WAY better than hand walking!) it's been cold, it's dark out all the time... You get the idea. And I have a TON of stuff to do in the house because I have way too much crap and would like very much to NOT have all of it. I also have many a jewelry project I'd like to get started on. But I've been lacking the motivation to do anything other than the normal routine stuff. Grooming the boys, sitting on Eros, playing with the pups.
That all changed (temporarily) when Mother Nature decided to throw us a bone here in CT. This weekend, while certainly not WARM, was much more tolerable than the negative temps we had been dealing with. Saturday was still pretty chilly, and to be honest, my motivation was set at -50. I really wasn't a useful human other than the stuff that needed doing.
But Sunday? Ahhhh Sunday. Sunday was sunny and MUCH warmer than days past. I walked outside in the morning and thought it felt like spring! Granted, it was actually only 38 degrees, but it FELT warm. By the afternoon it was pretty warm, close to 50 in fact. After all the stuff that needed doing, out of no where, I cleaned out one of the tack boxes. Most of them I tackled not too long ago, but this one had been neglected for far too long. This box holds the sprays, ointments, meds, hoof care stuff, etc. It was getting to the point where it wouldn't close, and I knew half the stuff in there had long since expired. Not just that, but most of I haven't touched in years. Which isn't exactly my confession, but I guess we can count that as number two. Why not?
My point is, my motivation shows up like ten fold when it's not freezing cold out, especially when there's sun too. I know it's normal to feel like this. Science says it's probably vitamin D related. I know this short spell of awesome weather will be just that right now... Short. But I'm grateful for the reprieve, and I can't wait for spring!

16 comments:

  1. I was happy for a warm weekend except for all the mud everywhere (still here, but tonight/tomorrow we get freezing rain). Do you just throw out all the not expired products you don't use? I hate to waste stuff but I don't want some things anymore (for example butet conditioner half used). Argh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some stuff did get tossed, like the ten million sample sized things I never used, but some I try to give to someone who can use it. Your boarding barn might have interest?
      Do you mean Akene? That stuff is the best! Use it!

      Delete
    2. Yes, Akene. I just prefer the CWD conditioner so it sits unused. Maybe I should just take a box of stuff to the barn and label it free to good home. A lot of it wouldn't be school program appropriate I don't think but maybe my fellow boarders would want some.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, if no one wants it after a few days to a week, then just toss it.

      Delete
  2. oooh yay for getting that surge of motivation! i'm like you, i'll spend forever just kinda sitting around *thinking* about all the stuff that needs done.... but the actual urge to get up and do something about it isn't always there haha. but when the motivation does strike? it feels SO GOOD to get it all done haha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It's the best feeling to have everything neat, organized, and de-cluttered.

      Delete
  3. It's totally a vitamin D thing. We have a research project on vit D at work and basically for where you and I live, you could stand outside 24/7 naked and not get enough light to produce enough vit D all winter. The head of that lab told us all to take a supplement during the winter months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I take one also. Which I'm sure helps, but it's not as good as the real thing.

      Delete
  4. The big rat said it's going to be an early spring this year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our local one agreed this year too, so hopefully they are accurate.

      Delete
  5. I take vitamin D starting in December. Probably should do it sooner but it doesn’t occur to me. Like you the cold weather saps all motivation todo anything other than the minimum. And I have a heated tack room so no real excuse. 🤷‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My whole barn is heated! Still doesn't make you want to do anything...

      Delete
  6. ugh the weather affects me so much this weekend i was on top of the world. it is still warm here (But humid) and cold weather is coming and it is gloomy and all my optimism from the weekend just fizzled.
    Goodfor you for tackling something!! UGH back to my fetal position now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh I know. 60 degrees today, ice storm tomorrow. Sheesh.

      Delete
  7. Totally agree on the weather - January here has been pretty awful. I have accomplished nothing - except writing a list of stuff I should do before spring. I'm going away for 2 weeks to get some vitamin D (first time in many years! woot!) so I'm hoping I feel more motivated when I get back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh!!! Have a great trip! I hope it's warm, sunny, and motivating!

      Delete