Wednesday, February 6, 2019

What's Up Wednesday

It was another relatively quiet week here on the home front. The boys are shedding like crazy (Eros too) so I'm pretty much covered in hair all the time. That's ok by me though because it means spring is coming! Come on spring!
We left off last week in the bitter cold, but fortunately, that only lasted a few days.
The barn was actually warmer than 37, but this sits next to the window.
Thursday was the worst day, Friday wasn't much better, but by Saturday it was warming up to at least above freezing. Sunday was in the low forties and it felt like a beautiful spring day. Funny how that happens after it was negative degrees out. And then yesterday was 60 degrees! It's pretty nuts really. I enjoyed it as best I could considering I have a desk job. Seriously, when it's that nice in February it should be a mandatory vacation day. Today it's getting more seasonable with temps in the lower 40's. Apparently it might snow next week. Boo.
But you're not really here to talk about the weather. Which is actually too bad because that was the most exciting thing that happened this week.
Eros is coming along. He still starts off pretty unsound, but he feels like he works out of it some now. The new plan is to try and figure out what the mystery ailment that he's had along is and see if we can try to fix it. The vet wants me to keep working him lightly (walk and trot) for now, and next time he's scheduled to come out, we'll get Eros on that list too. It would be super if we could get him better than ever. But I'll settle for back where we started if need be.
When it was super cold, we took the opportunity to try out our Back on Track quarter sheet options. Friday it was 11 degrees out, so I opted for the one with more coverage:
It looked ridiculous with his low hanging belly though... Eros and I both need to get back to some real work. Anyway, I liked it well enough, though to be perfectly honest, I don't really love the quarter sheets that velcro over top of the withers. When I use that type on Jamp, he spooks if I accidentally make noise with velcro while I'm riding. Eros was a little aware of that too. Which also suggests I need to carry my hands more... but that's an issue for a different day! I like the old fashioned ones that you'd use under your saddle like a saddle pad. They are tough to come by these days. I have a custom one that I keep packed away for shows (like flatting at indoors in the middle of the night...) but I'm thinking I should just use it. It's not like I show in the winter anymore, and the likelihood of my ever going to indoors again is basically zero. Anyway, I digress...
I also have the Back On Track loin cover. I used it for the first time on Saturday, and I think I might just love it.
It sits behind the saddle, and attaches to the billets.There's no extra bulk, and it doesn't block my leg at all. Also, there's nothing pulling on the withers, nor do my hands have anything to spook my horses with. I'm not sure if I like it better than the old school under the saddle type, but I do like it better than the first one I tried. Maybe not when it's 10 degrees though. More coverage is better for that, even if it's a little spooky. It does however accentuate Eros' pregnant looking belly. Poor dude. Quarter sheets are not flattering. They're kind of like the crop tops of equine fashion.
The barn owner and a few horses headed south to Florida on Monday for I think three weeks. I frequently hear whining about how many horses the staff has to ride, so with two of the staff gone to Florida, I thought I'd offer up my availability. Especially since I haven't had a REAL ride in quite awhile. But my offer was kind of glossed over, so I don't think that's happening. I'm not sure if I'm actually a really shitty rider, or if they're just SUPER weird about letting people ride horses that aren't theirs at this place. Oh well. Hopefully spring comes early, and maybe one of the elderly dudes at home can go back under saddle. We'll see how that plays out.
I was thisclose to taking Rio out for a lunge on Sunday, but the footing in the ring was really wet, and  I did promise him I wouldn't actually try and make him work until springtime. So I didn't do it. Instead we did some mega groomies and called it a day. He and Jampy are looking slightly less feral now with less winter coat. Can't wait till bath time! They need it.
On the pug front, I took Pia to the vet Saturday morning because she has something growing in her eyelid. It's not bothering her in the least, but it was worrying me, and it looks like it SHOULD be uncomfortable. The vet said those types of growths are normally nothing to worry about. P's due for a dental anyway, so I think we'll have it taken off when she goes in for her teeth.
I got the pugs a new Eeyore bed recently, and P sleeping on it is the cutest thing ever.
though that monkey is a little creepy, isn't it?
The pugs were awfully cute this weekend, between sleeping and staring at me hoping for food:

In other news, I just finished binge watching Dawson's Creek. I never really got into it back when it was actually on tv, but decided to give it a shot now. Did any of you watch it? How about the last two episodes? SO SAD! I didn't see that coming!
Anyway, that's it from here! How was your week/weekend? Do anything fun and exciting?

16 comments:

  1. The crop top of equine fashion XD bahahaha! Dawsons's creek is on my binge list (which I am rapidly going through since it's so cold, so i'll get to it soon!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So it's a little annoying. They are the most dramatic teenagers ever. But it's worth sticking it out till the end.

      Delete
  2. You are so spot on about quarter sheets being the crop top of the equestrian world !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything back on track, I'm glad the Pug is ok! They are sooooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I'm definitely drinking the kool aid on BOT.
      Thanks! Me too!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the mini review of the quarter sheets! I'm thinking of getting a back on track one next time they're on sale but was going back and forth on which one to get. Leaning towards the loin cover now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! That would be my suggestion, I think it's great!

      Delete
  5. omg i lol'd at the "crop top of equine fashion" too haha.... poor charlie is right there with the best of them sporting his over-the-hill middle aged man belly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love me a big pony belly... but this one he has going may need a little trimming...

      Delete
  6. I really like that loin rug, where did you buy it from if you remember? Seems like maybe it's only available in Canada?
    I had a really nice wool under the saddle quarter sheet but sold it years (so many years) ago after getting Stampede since it was too small and I miss it. Currently have a fleece smartpak one and can't stand the static or the velcro around thing so rarely use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a big fan of the fleece ones either because of the static. I have a couple I got from Etsy, but I don't use them much.
      I got the loin rug from Greenhawk, so yeah, Canada only I think. I haven't seen it around here yet either.

      Delete
  7. “The crop top of equine fashion ‘ 🤣. So true. I’m glad that Eros seems to be getting better

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Pug snuggles are the cutest!

    ReplyDelete