Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Truthful Tuesday

 


So this year, I am doing my own weekend chores. I actually enjoy doing the chores, but the reason I hire that task out during the week is my confession today. And here it is:

  I AM THE WORLD'S SLOWEST STALL CLEANER

There. I said it. And it's true. In my defense, I've never had to be quick. My horses have their turnout time during morning chores. While yes, I wish my horses could be out 12 hours (or 24 even, but Eros would probably petition for a new home), I just am not able to provide that. Shiny has her own paddock in the back, but the boys turn out individually in the ring. I just, sadly, don't have the land to have paddocks for each of them nor shelters. So we do the best we can. 

All of that rambling to say that I have three hours AT LEAST to do the morning chores. So it's always been a leisurely activity. Which isn't a problem or anything. I manage to fill that three hours by cleaning the three stalls, doing some laundry, and scrubbing all the buckets. But somehow, by the time I've done those things, turned the horses both out and in, and dumped all the manure buckets, it's usually a four hour job. Also fine, and nice even if they get extra turnout time (though, as mentioned, Eros may disagree because there are BUGS outside, the horror). The only trouble with the four hours, is that I then have to work all three of the horses. And now that it's summer that probably means also rinsing them off and getting them at least partially dry before tucking back in their stalls. And that's another like six hours. Plus the cleaning up after. I have a bit of a compulsion about my barn floor being clean. I sweep it constantly while doing chores, each time a horse comes out of its stall, and then at the end of the day it gets swept once more and then blown. I have rubber pavers so you really have to do both to get all the shavings and hay out of the cracks. 

So I get out there around 7, and next I know it's somehow like 6 pm and where did the time go? I mean, I probably took a few minutes to pee once or twice... And while they were drying I get some sit down time... But still. It's a long couple of days in the barn. Thank goodness it's my favorite place in the world to be!

8 comments:

  1. Your barn, your rules. It doesn’t matter as long as you’re not getting paid by the hour, lol. It takes me 30 minutes to do 2 stalls but I’m not worried about getting everything. I pick out and put all the shavings to the side for the day. My horses use the stalls run in and I hate the wind blowing the shavings everywhere. I go through them again when I put them back at the end of the day. I only sweep at the end of day because of all the doors being open.
    I love hearing about other routines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, for the run-in situation I would do the same! I HATE when the shavings blow out into the aisle. Drives me bonkers.

      Delete
  2. Hey if it gets done, it gets done. I've always said, I'm not a fast stall cleaner, but I'm a good stall cleaner. The few times I've barn sat for a friend, it takes me a solid hour, maybe hour and 15 to do all the chores for 2 horses. Maybe 15-20 minutes per stall? Worse if they were closed in for the night, I barn sat for 2 weeks and we had like 5 nights of straight rain at night which was horrid. But they're clean and the ponies are happy so who cares!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, mine are in at night, and Eros in particular is a terrible house keeper. Total slob. Hides his poop, pees everywhere...

      Delete
  3. i have always (always) been a super slow mucker bc i sift and sift and circulate the shavings around relentlessly until i'm totally satisfied.... and then i sift some more LOL.... tho, not gonna lie, for the last few months seeing the writing on the wall at my current boarding barn, i managed to speed things up enough to get through my 13 stalls in about 2hrs fairly consistently....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, same! It takes me forever, but those stalls are CLEAN when I'm done!
      Ha, funny how certain situations can really get your motor running...

      Delete
  4. omg *I* am also the world's slowest stall cleaner! I did a lot of it at a past job and all that practice did NOT make me faster. We are on 24/7 turnout barring injury or severe weather for a reason lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Makes sense to me! I don't think I'd get any faster doing it more either. Thank goodness it's not a race!

      Delete