Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Truthful Tuesday

 


Today's confession, is that I'm really grateful to Al's people who got him started at a youngster. You may wonder why since we've been going through some real stuff the past many months. But that's not a reflection on his early training. If anything, it's probably a reflection on me and my short comings. Or despite how hard I tried to listen to my horse, I missed something. But whatever the reason, our current issues isn't what I want to talk about today. 

The reason I'm grateful for Al's start is that despite all the bumps in our recent road, I've been able to work with him because he's so well trained on the ground. He's incredibly respectful of the human working with him. (Which is generally me these days.) When he's scared and I'm leading him, occasionally he jumps, but it's always away from me. And he never hits the end of the rope or the reins, or whatever I'm holding him with. When we are walking and I stop, he stops. He doesn't ever step past my feet, and normally he stops behind me. On the lunge line he rarely pulls, and though he sometimes needs a reminder to stay out on the circle, once reminded he stays in his boundaries. He knows voice commands, though I will admit that sometimes the response is delayed. What can I say, no one is perfect. Plus he learned his voice commands in Czech not English. He's allowed to translate for a stride or two. 

So for those reasons, I'm very grateful for Al's previous trainers. I'm also grateful for him. Learning those behaviors obviously comes from good training, but it also helps to have a horse that wants to give the right answers. I really, truly believe this horse wants to do the right thing. It's just hard for him sometimes. But like... me too. Ha! 

4 comments:

  1. Good ground manners make all the difference in how safe I feel. I was helping a friend at the show and her horse had zero sense of being careful around people. He bashed me in the head and tried to run me over. Sigh. After I gave her a name of a trainer in her area. She was mortified by his manners, he’s a new lease for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree completely! Which doesn't mean all of my horses are mannerly all of the time... but they DO know how they're supposed to act at least.
      Hopefully your friend gets some help with her new horse, that's tough to work with.

      Delete
  2. i love this <3 <3 esp with both my horses moving to new places with new people who don't know us, our history, our skills (or lack thereof), it's been a bit nerve wracking. i'm so grateful to have horses who are reliably easy and safe to handle -- esp giant Charles, who could easily be quite intimidating, but is instead just a very good boy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Especially the big ones! I mean, I'm 5'2" everything is big to me... Lol!

      Delete