Wednesday, August 2, 2023

What's Up Wednesday

 

It's been a mostly uneventful horsey week around here. No shows scheduled until maybe the 12th, so we're having a little respite from doing all the things, but still riding every day and having the lessons with Al. Or at least we were... until today's lesson. We did our Saturday lesson and it was so great. Al was listening and not too spooky, and we got to jump some big for us jumps:



Through Saturday we had been sweating our way through some very high humidity days with temps close to 90. There was a breeze though, so it wasn't the worst, and the horses handled it well. But then Sunday came. And while it was a relief, the thirty degree temp drop with the crisp fresh not humid air left me with a mildly insane Al. It was warmer by the time I got around to getting on him, so I thought we'd be okay. It was mid 70's by then and the sun was shining. But Al was feeling a sort of way. I wound up getting off, pulling his tack and free lunging him. He had a good gallop and let out a couple of bucks. Then I got back on and had a much better ride. But toward the end of the ride he felt a little funny. Not lame exactly but definitely NQR. I chalked it up to him wanting to be done and getting a little lazy, but for sure took note. I checked him out fully when I got off and nothing was swollen. No rocks in the feet. He had Monday off from work AND had a chiro appointment that day. Doc didn't feel anything of note, and I was hopeful he'd be fine on Tuesday. I got on and he was still just not quite right. I couldn't put a finger on where it was, but based on his footprints he was dragging his back feet. I didn't cancel my lesson because 1. I knew trainer's daughter would want to ride Shiny and 2. I really wanted some eyes on Al to see what was going on. So they came out today, and we determined that it was something up high on the left hind side. After a light flat to figure that out, we palpated the back and found where he was sore. It's like lower back area on the left side. I think he probably bucked a little too hard in his free lunge and made himself sore. I don't think it's anything major. If he's not better by the weekend, I'll have the vet out to see him and make sure. But in the meantime, I'm going to do a light, hopefully stretchy, ride tomorrow. I'm also borrowing my friend's spectra therapy laser to throw on him. I think he'll be fine in a few days. Hopefully. I'd like to take him to another show on the 12th, but of course, if he's not 100%, we won't do that. Anyway. Fingers crossed this is nothing. 

Shiny's been so good! She's back on her twice a day riding schedule, which really does wonders for her, even if we both kind of complain about it. She jumped around so nicely with her kid today, I was so proud of her! Normally they jump some of the raised cavalletti that are around the ring in between when Al and I are jumping. But since Al wasn't jumping today, we set the actual fences for Shiny (2') and they jumped right around. Shiny was forward and helping her rider find the jumps. It was adorable. And I was so proud of them both. It's fun to see your pony being a little angel with a kid. I didn't get a turn to jump her this week, but kiddo is away this weekend, so maybe Saturday we'll have a little school. 

Eros has been a little bit of a rude old dude this week. He's being very spooky about the end of the ring, but I can't figure out what he's looking at. I don't see anything at all. I jumped him around on Saturday, and he was actually quite good that day. No torpedos!



But I did discover a bit of a hole in our present state. When I found the close distance, he wanted to trot instead of rocking back and using himself. When I made the effort to actually help him out there, he could do it, but I'm not used to having to leg Eros at the jumps. Normally I'm just trying to keep him from taking out strides. He's a little weak behind, and I take full responsibility for it. I've been letting him off easy in the hot weather, and there have been many days where I'm just pooped by the time I get to him so he doesn't work as hard. But that's all ended this week! It's cooler out now, so no excuses from either of us. He's not thrilled with my new work ethic, but by the end of today's ride he was much more supple and using himself again. Poor Eros. Back to work buddy! We'll probably jump again tomorrow. If I can get to the end of the ring... Lol. Horses. 

In other news, my apple trees are growing legit apples this year! The bugs have been doing a number on them, so I'm not sure I'll actually get to eat too many of them... But this is the first year they're really producing well. So I'm excited for the future! And I really hope I get to eat at least one from each tree. (They're two different varieties.) 

AND in big news, my pool finally cleared up and I got to go in it during the hot weather! (I don't have a new heater yet, and I don't go in there unless it's hot!) It was lovely. Rita was the lifeguard.



That's about all that's happening here. How are you all doing in this summer weather? 

2 comments:

  1. ooooh jealous of your apple trees! we have crabapples at the barn which the horses might eat once or twice, but that's about it... fingers crossed Al feels better soon! charlie has been palpating a little sore in his lower back lately too, but i suspect that's 100% due to just being weak and compensating and not using himself well, and that it might get worse before it gets better....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited about the apples! I think most of them won't be edible again this year, due to bugs and whatnot. But hopefully I'll get one or two for me! Some look close to being ripe!
    I bet you're right about Charles. He's probably doing the Pammon and letting that belly hang low whilst on vacation.

    ReplyDelete