Wednesday, June 26, 2019

What's Up Wednesday

I'm gonna have to go day by day to keep the week straight... So much happening all of a sudden! But all good things!
So we left off with Pammon arriving last Tuesday (in the rain). He had that day off to settle in. And then Wednesday I decided to just give him a lunge.Figure there's no rush to getting going with him, and it's nice to let them ease into their new lives, right?
He was a perfect gentleman on the lunge line, and if anything a bit lazy. I'll take that! He enjoyed some grass after his lunge. Shiny had a nice hack after that, and then Rio had groomies and a late night graze. (Where does the time go?)
Thursday brought rain. Again. So. Much. Rain. So I gave the horses at home another day off, and went to ride Eros. It really is nice having an indoor over there!
Finally on Friday we had a nice day without rain! So weird to see the sun. It was pretty blinding. So after work, I once again put Pammon on the lunge line, but this time with tack so I could hop on after! Ah, you guys! He's so wonderful! No spooking, no antics. Just got on and rode around the ring a bit. It's so nice to now have two horses who will willingly use the entire ring. With Jampy it was a battle to get to the far end. But Shiny and Pammon are both like "whatevs lady".  Anyway, he had a short lunge, and I just hopped on for a quick walk, trot, and canter each way.
What a view!
I really need to charge up the solo shot now that I have horses to ride! Be nice to get some media. Someone text me that tonight at like 9:30.

Anyway, Saturday my horses at home had a day off, despite the beautiful weather. Why you ask? Because I went up to Saratoga to do the alumni class at my favorite horse show.
I got zero media (sorry), but happy to talk all about it! I got to ride my friend's horse Sochi, who you may remember I rode last year too. He's perfect in every way. But he's a very different ride than I'm used to. He's the type you just keep legging on, don't touch the face! He won't do anything bad if you get grabby, but he'll definitely slow down and you're going to find the chip spot.
post ride sweaty selfie with Sochi
 Anyway, the flat was first, and he was wonderful. I think my extended trot the first direction could have been better, but we did a nice job of it the second way. They worked us fairly hard, extending both ways, and sitting trot both ways. It was super fun though, and I finished in second, just behind a pro rider. Not bad!
I was trainer-less for the fence portion which was a bit of a bummer, but not the end of the world. We schooled well, and I was feeling pretty good going into the ring. It wasn't too tough of a course, a few single jumps, one line and a roll back, finishing over another single jump. Sochi was perfect! Me... not as perfect. I got a good canter starting out, but I kept seeing the move up distance and never trusted that we'd get there. Which resulted in a lot of chippy spots. But we got around without anything too embarrassing happening. We ended up 5th out 5, but that was fine with me. I had a lot of fun, even if the distance fairy wasn't with me that day!
And the long satin swag was nothing to sneeze at either... So pretty! The horse show is in its second year at the brand new venue, and they've really gotten it together. The footing was perfect in every ring despite the days and days of rain before I got there. The barns and tents all looked like they were dry too. Rings were running smoothly. Etc.

As a donor, I got my name on the fence! This was the ring I showed in too.
 I got to stay and watch the grand prix, which was fun. They had an exhibitor party during that with barbecue and and ice cream. My kind of party!
I headed out around 6:30 to get home at a reasonable hour. It was great to see my friends and get to put on show clothes for a day. I can't wait to get back out there with Pammon!
But there's no rest for the weary around here! Sunday was chock full of horses. And pretty much nothing else... I didn't make it to the farmer's market nor the lake this week. Fortunately, there was no band this week anyway, so no loss there really other than the lobster roll.
Anyway, back to the day.... I had a 9:15 lesson with Eros. I tried him this week in a broken steel pelham. It wasn't bad, but still not the perfect bit either. I have a few others to try. I'm sure there's something out there he'll like and not want to lean on. There has to be! I liked the action of the pelham, it did help some. But I think the mouthpiece wasn't the right one. So part way there anyway. It was a decent lesson, but we definitely still have a fair amount of work to do. We'll get there!
After my lesson, I hopped on Fefe for a hack. She's such an odd horse! She's not big on actual work, and she's constantly looking around and seeming spooky. But she never actually does anything wrong. So I guess that's fine? The only time I have a real issue with her is walking back to the barn. she wants to rush all the way there. And if you tell her no, she pushes into you while jigging, or she rears up. BAD MARE! Not sure what the deal is. She's perfectly pleasant to go out to the ring. And she leads fine in the barn. Mares are so weird.
After finishing up with Eros and Fefe, I headed home to get to work at home. I put Pammon on the lunge again before I rode, just to be safe. He had Saturday off, and I just don't know him that well yet. Better safe than sorry when you're riding alone is my opinion!

He lunged perfectly. He was a little fresh, and offered up a few gallop-y steps, but that was the extent of it. I climbed on after a few minutes, and he was just perfect. He has the most amazing trot, which will take me some time to get used to. But he listens really well. If that amazing trot gets too big for me, a little half halt and he comes right back. The canter is dreamy. I have to remember to keep my leg on though. He's much more forward thinking that my other horses, which for some reason makes me take my leg off. But if it's not there, he will break to the trot. (As he should...) So that's something to work on too. Leg on... who'd have thought? Lol.

My final ride of the day (number four for those of you keeping track) was Miss Shiny. She was super lazy, but her canter departs are improving so I'll take it!
Needless to say, I was exhausted by Sunday evening. The pups and I straightened the house up some, and then just had a relaxing evening.
Monday I did Pammon and Shiny again. Shiny was great, and actually was working on the bit for awhile. She thinks that's dumb unless it's her idea... Mares. Pammon was PERFECT! I skipped the lunge that time. His first few laps of walk were very forward, but not spooky or naughty in anyway. And then he went right to work for me with no issues. I'm telling you, buying a 12 year old horse was not a bad plan you guys. He already knows the rules, and is quite happy to please.

I had hoped to give Rio an extra turnout but it got late, so he just had some really good groomies instead. He didn't seem to mind that at all.

Tuesday it was pouring buckets all day, so the horses at home had the evening off. I went and flatted Eros instead. He was super unmotivated to start out (I think he prefers the outdoor) but once he got working, he was wonderful. I get that. Rainy days are for Netflix and the couch. He's not wrong.

And that's it! It's been busy, and I'm definitely having to get used to riding every day again. But it's wonderful, and I'm SO excited to be back doing what makes me really happy. And doing it with horses that are enjoying it too. Yay!

How was your week? Do anything fun with your horses? Show, lesson, clinic, whatever? Tell me all about it in the comments!


16 comments:

  1. So. Much. RIDING! Its such a nice change to read about all the ponies and fun <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm definitely enjoying all this pony time!

      Delete
  2. so so so busy haha - i could hardly keep up! congrats on having fun at the show and YAY FOR RIDING PAMMON!! he sounds like such a gentleman already, and i love his color. you're collection of blondes is growing haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I know, I'm surrounded by blonds and red heads!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the placing! I wish they ran the alumni classes in California *pout* I'll try and shoot you off a fb message to use your soloshot lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not really a thing here either. This show is put on by the college I graduated from, so they just run the classes at the show for anyone who has graduated from there. It's really fun!

      Delete
  4. So glad Pammon is a good boy! And can we talk about how good he looks in green??

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear you are riding so much!!! Especially Pammon at home!!! And cool to make it to an alumni show and get some satin. Saratoga Springs is such a nice area - I was there for a long weekend a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Saratoga. I'm dying to go up for a weekend just for a mini vacation.

      Delete
  6. So much pony time! I’m glad you are living your best horse life again, it really seems like you’re having a blast. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much fun! Life is so much better when there's riding.

      Delete
  7. Riding all these horses is going to make you so fit! Also, what a lovely variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping so! I feel like a floppy noodle much of the time lately...

      Delete
  8. So much riding! I don't even work full time and I don't ride that much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but you have SO MUCH more property to manage! I don't know how you do all that!

      Delete