Wednesday, June 19, 2019

What's Up Wednesday

I guess it's been a little exciting around here... So I'll start with the part you guys have been waiting for, and then go back over the weekend.
So! If you follow me on social you're already aware, but on Monday morning Pammon climbed aboard the trailer to head north!
I'm told he traveled very well which is nice to hear. I much prefer easy travelers! (Who doesn't?) And he arrived yesterday around 3:45 at my place! (At some point during his journey he switched from a big rig to a smaller trailer, which was a huge relief, because I wasn't so sure how that tractor trailer was going to work out at my house...)

He seems to be settling in fairly well, though he's been a bit off his grain. Not that unusual for a horse after taking a long trip. He's pooping and peeing, drinking and eating hay well. And he seemed like a healthy, happy horse in turnout this morning. He went out politely, trotted around a little, sniffed everything out, and checked out the views.



Rio is VERY interested in his new brother.

Shiny is not even a little interested in Pammon.
And then had a good roll!
So I'm not panicking about him being a little off his grain just yet. Hopefully the rain holds off tonight, and I plan to give him a little lunge. I'm not sure I'll ride him today, we'll see how the lunge goes! I'm no rush with this horse, and I want him to settle in happily. Trainer is heading on a family vacation, so I won't be lessoning or jumping until she's back anyway.
So that's probably the most exciting bit of the last week! But there's plenty more to babble about. Shiny has been doing well under saddle. She still tries to test me. I had no power steering on Friday for some reason? But it was back on Saturday, so I dunno, pony stuff I guess?
She doesn't seem to care at all about my noisy neighbor. Nor motorcycles. Nor sirens. Really anything at all. As long as you feed her regularly, she's pretty reasonable about everything. She does expect a good hand graze after we ride though. You get some looks if you have to skip it for any reason. (Like pouring down rain!)
I just find her hilarious. She's such a diva, and has SO many opinions. But when she crosses any lines and you tell her so, she is remorseful. I dunno. She's a sassy mare-pony, but I really am loving her. Who would have thought?
How could you not love this face?
Rio has been enjoying his evening turnouts when I am able to get him out there. It doesn't happen every night. Sometimes it rains, or I'm in a hurry, so we skip right to the grazing part. He's pretty content as long as he gets groomies and some grass snacks. The extra turnout is just icing on his cake.
He seems to be very excited about his new brother. He actually was kind of wild in his stall when Pammon first arrived. Which I found really funny, but I don't think he appreciated my laughing at his attempts at being macho.
Stalking the new guy
His condition and his coat are looking great, but I do think his feet are a bit sore. I'm planning to schedule vet visits for the new horses soon, so I'll have him looked at too. I want to keep him as comfortable as I can. It's tough being 23!

My stepmom has been a riding machine! She rides both Eros and Fefe everyday during the week. Weekends I get Eros, and sometimes Fefe if they're going to be away. Saturday I got to do both. I was in a big hurry, as I needed to be at a party an hour away at noon. So I opted to ride Fefe indoors so I could avoid the mare antics on the way back.
She was a good girl, despite being rather snorty at everything! She's so funny. She seems VERY spooky, but never actually spooks. Just stares and snorts and goes about her business. Mares are weird.

We discovered that Eros starts forming some opinions if I only ride him on weekends. Like he decides he doesn't need to do things like carry himself or go on the bit. So I've been trying to ride him at least once during the week plus both weekend days. Pretty much anytime I'm rained out at home, I go over there. It's working much better.
I had a lesson on him Sunday. We've been experimenting with bits, and I will say I did not have the right one that day. It was a dee bit with a port, but the port was actually three pieces. It was definitely not enough. I had zero half halt, and very little brakes. And forget steering! Silly horse. I'm trying a straight bar rubber pelham next. I flatted him in it last night, and my canter was MUCH more uphill. So I'm hopeful it will work over fences. I'll see on Sunday!
He just looks ridiculous in this fly mask.
I think that's everything to do with my horses this week... I also braided a few on Friday night:
And one last night. But the one last night had his mane pulled by the working student... It didn't go well guys. Didn't go well at all. This is probably the worst job I've done since I was a little kid learning.
You can only do so much when the mane is too short. Sorry pony.

Brought the car in for a bunch of maintenance this week too. I have to pass emissions soon, so I figured I had to do it, plus I'm driving up to Saratoga Saturday for the day, and it's nice to know you have functional brakes and fresh oil. I'll just say, it cost more than shipping Pammon up here. Ugh. My poor bank account. Last month I was in a great place. Then I vetted two horses, bought two horses, shipped two horses, bought a saddle, and repaired my car. So now I eat ramen noodles I guess. Whatever, it's worth it! Because PONIES!

The pugs are living their best life currently. They would like me to take them on more walks, we've been really slacking in that department. But otherwise they're happy.



And in non horsey news, I celebrated my best friend's 40th birthday on Saturday.
And Sunday I managed to swing by the first farmer's market of the season after my lesson. AND made it over to the lake for my lobster roll for dinner. The band canceled due to the threat of rain, but the eating was still good!
And that my friends is the end of my very busy last seven days. Did you all have a good week? Do anything fun? Horse shows? Lessons?

18 comments:

  1. Pammon is so darn cute! So is Shiny. And Rio. And Eros. And Fefe. You have the cutest herd! :) I cannot wait to read about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! So happy that he is home! Can't wait to hear what you guys get up to...lessons? Shows?

    Shiny is adorable. And so is Rio, of course. And the Pugs. lol

    Nothing fun for me last week. boo. lol Although I have a schooling show on the books for this Sunday. omg - now I have to go find all my stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      That's exciting! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

      Delete
  3. Rio just needs to let the new guy know that the sexy blonde more belongs to him! And omg I want that lobster roll in my face right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's completely true!
      It was good... I could go for another.

      Delete
  4. So much fun stuff going on and so many ponies!

    My weekend was not great, which I’m sure you saw on social. Smashed my finger, went to the walk in clinic again on Saturday. Told me it was broken. Sunday we grocery shopped, went out to eat and hung out at home. Found out yesterday my finger isn’t actually broken when I went to the orthopedic doctor, so that was some of the better news I’ve gotten lately. I’ll ride again eventually, but my only goal this week is to not injure myself or be injured by anyone/anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That’s a lot to pack into 7 days! But it’s wonderful to see Pammon arrive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit busy! Thank you! I can't wait to get to know him!

      Delete
  6. So many ponies to ride!!!❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that’s a lot going on!!!! So exciting to have Pammon home and I love reading about getting to know Shiny and her antics ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been busy! Shiny is hilarious, I'm so glad she's joined the farm!

      Delete
  8. So much going on but I love reading all about these new ponies and your further adventures!

    ReplyDelete