Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Truthful Tuesday: The One with the Ego

As I mentioned last week, I went to a horse show this weekend! It was just a little one day about 35-40 minutes north of my house. But it was SO FUN to get back into show clothes and be out in horsey public again!
I'll recap that more tomorrow, but I wanted to chat about the feelings today. Since I started showing when I was 10, it's been pretty much nonstop. As a junior, I boarded at a barn that hosted shows all year round, so even in the less busy time, I was still competing regularly. College was the same. We didn't travel to shows in the winter, but my school's barn hosted a few shows throughout the season.
My point is, this three year stretch was the longest I've gone without competing horses.
It's been so long, that I was LEGALLY allowed to show as a modified adult. I haven't ever been eligible for that division. And it might seem unfair to the other riders for me to be in there, do remember I'm sitting on a green horse. And it was hunters. So fair enough.
Anyway, Eddie was a good boy at the show, but he was pretty excited. He's never been to a one day show before. He's never been on a REAL grass field. You get the idea.

literally the ONLY photo I took at the show...
 But despite all these things, my ego still thought we'd probably win the classes. He's a great mover after all. And we were just flatting. (Which was weird to me in itself... go all the way to a show and just flat?! But really, that's all we were ready for.)
Spoiler Alert: We didn't win. 
And you know what? I'm kind of glad we didn't. It shows how much work we need to do, and it reminded me that the rider I once was, is not the rider I am right now. My ego needed that little check. While it was disappointing to not win our classes, it was good for me to see that I need to work harder. Get stronger. I know that rider is still in there. She just needs to get more fit and find herself again.
Eddie's mom made a really good point. She reminded me that I've only ridden him about 6 times. If he were my own new horse, that's not even a week together yet. I can't expect to know everything about a new horse in a week! Never mind the fitness issues... (Mine not Eddie's.)
Have you ever had unrealistic expectations? And/or a bit of an ego? I think the answer to my issues right now is just lots more time in the saddle. But how did you overcome that? Any hints or tips?

8 comments:

  1. I went thru something like that recently. And I didn't think I should change my "unrealistic" expectations, but I did need to be more worthy of them. Why do "you"/I think I deserve xyz, or what abc should happen? Ok, what are you doing to help those things? And just thinking about it isn't enough. Are you/I being discplined enough to follow through on the things I know I need to do or think I should? That helped me be more accountable. Kinda of like with jumping, you don't get better at jumping by just jumping, but improving everything around it. The flatwork, the fitness, the nutrition, etc. I guess my point is look to help yourself rather than berate yourself for misjudging something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh there was no berating ever. I know we didn't do that well because my horse wasn't as prepared as he evidently needs to be (1) and (2) I should have ridden a little stronger and more assertively.
      I only get to ride him once or twice a week, but we'll be plugging away for the future, definitely!

      Delete
  2. My first show out with my current horse was a major ego check. I thought we were ready to walk, trot and canter in the ring, in the english and western saddle. Instead, I fell off in the warm up when he spooked at my lunge line on the ground. It's definitely sucky to have your ego be rattled (or even just checked once in a while), but it's definitely a good thing in most regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I'm glad it was a check and not so much of a rattle :)

      Delete
  3. I’m pretty good at checking my ego nowadays... mostly because I’ve learned to be competitive with myself and not the placings. It’s hard tho and I constantly have to work at it hah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it wasn't so much that I was surprised by not getting a blue ribbon, but more so I was surprised that I honestly didn't deserve one! It wasn't upsetting though, just a good wake up call.

      Delete
  4. Oh yeah when I started showing Dante I definitely thought I would still win equitation and have to work on the U/S but it's reverse and I've never been upset by not winning an U/S but not pinning in the Eq stings a bit.

    ReplyDelete