Wednesday, September 16, 2026

What's Up Wednesday

 

Ugh. Guys. I'm sorry. I feel like all I write about is being overwhelmed. And I don't even have a full time job. I shouldn't be so overwhelmed! But here we are. I think being on prednisone is amplifying my angst. 

The latest source of stress is that my current helper who is very good at the job, just informed me that she needs to cut back to two days a week. Which doesn't really provide me what I need so I can do my part time job, take care of my house and barn, and still work my horses appropriately. I'm already not working my horses appropriately. Maybe I have too many horses. Maybe I'm just getting too old to do all the things. But I don't want to give all this up. I love my barn and my horses. I just need help. And it's so hard to find! Back on the hunt I guess. I think I'd be less worked up if my stupid old lady body would cooperate. I mean really. I'm trying to do all the things, but also having carpal tunnel. tennis elbow, a bruised tailbone (thanks Eros), messed up knee, and ALL THE ITCHING. (I'm not sure the prednisone is working.) 

Anyway. That's what I'm up to this evening. Well that, and when I go out to do night check I also have to go out to the back of the property and spray a wasps nest. All in a days work! But this is What's Up Wednesday and not What's Up Wednesday Night. So let's look back at the week!

I brought Pivo out last Wednesday because I miss having media, and I wanted to see my horses go. It worked really well which was a relief, so hopefully I'll start using it more. I haven't really jumped since the day I busted my butt because well... my butt hurts! So I just have a few screen shots from Pivo that day. I also didn't record Shiny because it was threatening to rain by the time it was her turn. But here are a couple screen shots of E and Al:



One of them is more willing to engage than the other... Just kidding, the Al photo was just during warm up. We didn't really get much accomplished last week. Wednesday was a good riding day. Thursday was fine, but I had a hay delivery which is kind of distracting to ride with. 

Then Friday I was a bit rushed because I had to go to Rosh Hashana services. Saturday was similarly disorganized. I thought the fence people were coming, but then they didn't. Chores took a little longer because I had to clean up from our hay delivery (before the rain the next day) and I had to be at a family dinner at 6:30. So I wound up just hand grazing everyone. There's only so many hours in a day. Sunday was an absolute deluge of rain, so I did chores and groomed the horses. I also made a couple of videos for TurnoutHQ. One was a training braid tutorial and the other how to hang a fake tail.

This week I should be able to ride everyday. Today was short because of family dinner at 6, but everyone had a decent ride. Well. Al was terrible, but the other two had good rides. Al is generally terrible when I am feeling rushed and I know this. I should probably just lunge him on the days I don't have a lot of time. I don't know why that lesson doesn't stick with me ever. Tomorrow will also be a little tight because I have my annual mammogram in the evening. (They have such weird scheduling, but it's convenient for me!) Friday though, Friday I have ALL day. My worker was already scheduled off, so I'll have chores then riding. Which lately, chores seem to zap all my energy and the rides are then short. But I'm going to try and be a better person and just push through that and get something done with the horses. Fence guys WILL be here Saturday, so those rides will be distracted. And Sunday it's looking like more rain. 

For the moment, going forward, I'm hoping my helper will stay on for Mondays and Wednesdays so I can have my Monday off and then have help for our Wednesday morning staff meeting. I'm also going to bring up my lack of energy to my doctor at my next appointment which is the end of the month to see if there's a reason for it that we can fix or if I'm just incredibly lazy. If there's something I can do to have more energy, it might be fine to have help only a couple days a week. But as is now, it's not going to be sustainable. Especially as it gets colder and more of my body starts complaining again. 

Anyway. Sorry to be such a debbie downer. Thanks for sticking with me even if I am an Eeyore. Hopefully I'll figure things out and start having fun things to talk about again soon. 

10 comments:

  1. Let me try that again, lol. Good barn help is tough to find! I hope you feel better soon! As an aside, has anyone else been having trouble with their blogger feed? None of the new posts show up in mine anymore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard! I don't know if I'd have better luck if I could offer full time. I'm not sure I can afford it, but it might be worth it if I could get someone to stay!
      I haven't but truthfully I'm terribly behind on blog reading. I need to catch up!

      Delete
    2. I have! It’s so annoying because I’ve missed so many great posts!

      Delete
    3. Mine's working again this morning, whoohoo!

      Delete
  2. I just started HRT last week. I feel like I've been sleeping better, and maybe not quite as body sore? I believe you are of a similar age as me, so might be something to discuss with your doctor. I've had a few friends say it made a huge difference for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have definitely been thinking about asking about this!

      Delete
  3. I know a lot of people who feel just worn out by All the Things. You’re not alone- hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think the world is a little extra heavy these days.

      Delete