Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Truthful Tuesday

 

I live in an old house. It was built in 1759 and I've always just assumed it's likely haunted. Most of the things I originally thought were ghosts messing with me have been explained away by rodents however. (I have had some pretty insane infestations in this place...) But the tombstone on the hearth of my kitchen fireplace really sparked the haunted theory.

I've heard many ideas of how this tombstone got here. One is that Sibbil here was buried out where my barn now stands but at some point this stone broke and the owner at the time moved it here to the hearth. I've also heard that it possibly had a mistake on it and was just a discarded stone repurposed. Well, I finally had the wherewithal to google Sibbil E. beloved wife of Alfred Root. I didn't find much, but I did learn that Sibbil here is actually buried along with her husband and son in a cemetery not too far from here.

And while I suppose it's still possible she IS under my barn, I'm choosing to believe she's resting peacefully in an appropriate resting place. 

Any of you have anything weird like this in your homes? Where do you think Sibbil really is?

4 comments:

  1. I can guarantee there is nothing weird about my home since we just build it a few years ago, haha. But we DO own the first African-American church/school/cemetery in our county, and there are definitely unmarked (probably slave) graves over there - we try to maintain it as best we can but the roof went on the church a few years ago and now it's falling in on itself :( the history major in me is super bummed, but I do love walking visitors over to some of the pre-Civil War graves! And Cinna definitely feels like the corner of the arena adjacent to the church is haunted, so we always joke that she sees dead people.

    I'm glad Sibbil is (hopefully) not buried on your property!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is pretty cool! I think Cinna probably does actually see dead people. I swear horses can see things we can't.
      I hope there's some secret octopus in your house somewhere that someone planted... Lol!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Crazy, right?! Old houses are interesting. Sometimes good interesting... Usually just expensive interesting. Haha!

      Delete