Wednesday, November 27, 2019

What's up Wednesday

Before talking about last week, I just want to thank all of you for everything! First, for all the kind comments on yesterday's post. It really helps to have a network to talk about these things with. Your support means the world. And secondly for these:

incredible artistry from www.byandbyart.com
I'm not sure yet who all was involved getting these made for me, but you guys! They are beautiful. Rio's crooked face was captured perfectly, and so were Jampy's (ex)stallion cheeks! I just love them, they are so SO special! I decided to wear them together on one chain and don't plan to take them off ever.
So thank you all, for everything. It means so much. I swear the blogger community is really something special that I hold very close.

And so now... on to the past week!
As you already know from Thursday's Threads last week, I had half of a lesson on Shiny on Wednesday. We were getting toward the end of the flat portion when she stumbled and wiped out. Neither of us were very hurt, though she had a bit of a stiff neck for a few days after, and I still have a sore ankle and knee. Oddly enough, on different legs. I have no idea what parts of me hit the ground, or if she maybe landed on me someplace. I completely lost track of where she was when it happened which was kind of scary. When I finally stopped falling I thought my back was against her, and my neck was on the ground, but it turned out that my back was on the ground, and I have no idea what my neck was touching. Very weird. I was riding with the assistant trainer that evening, and though she and I have asked, head trainer has been too busy to pull up the video from the security camera.
Once the initial sting of all that subsided, I climbed back on and we just did a little walk/trot to finish our ride. We were both a little shaken! I gave Eros a very light hack that evening too, and then hobbled around the indoor with Pammon. I swear he was more sound than I. He thought so, and decided to walk me instead:
Thursday I had my lesson on Eros. I was surprisingly not as sore as I expected to be. Sore for sure, but not so much that I couldn't ride in my lesson. Thank goodness because we had a lovely ride. I think Eros and I are starting to find our groove again. Though the lesson started out with head trainer telling me how much she hates teaching at night. How she's already worked 14 hours (which probably isn't true, because they start around 7 there and my lesson was at 6:15, but whatever...) and she's over it. Um. Ok? Sorry?
(On a separate note, I keep seeing that essay in the plaid horse being shared everywhere about not being a PIA boarder, and I KINDA want to write a response about not being an entitled barn owner... but not so sure how that would be received. Also, maybe my offense to that means I AM a PIA boarder?) I think I may switch weekday lessons to ride with AT. I'm not sure how long I can smile sweetly before I say something to get me kicked out... Like sorry I have to work for a living during the day?
I wish I had some lesson media to share with you guys. I need to get one of the kids to video next time. I always forget. But anyway, despite being an inconvenience to the trainer, it was a good lesson.
I gave Shiny a light hack that evening, and she felt quite good surprisingly. She seemed acutely aware of where her feet were, and never stumbled at all. She's generally a pretty lazy pony, and it's not uncommon for her to stumble once or twice during a ride. But that evening she was like nope, not falling today! I was relieved she felt sound.
Friday was the day the vet was out. We already talked about how that went for Pammon. (Ugh.) But I had Doc look at Shiny also, just to be on the safe side. He had me ride her for him, and then did some flexions. He said she was tight on the left side in her neck which wasn't surprising after the tumble. Otherwise he thought she looked great. So that was good news. We did pull some blood to check for lyme and EPM exposure. Just in case. Given my history... Fingers crossed she just has a case of the lazies. Farrier is coming out this Friday and said he would check her feet and roll her toes over a bit which should help too.
I had to go back to work after vet stuff for a couple of hours, and then was back to the barn to ride Eros and give Pammon his walk. I figured the short ride for the vet was enough for Shiny. She could get back to real work over the weekend.
Saturday was just a flatting day for Shiny and Eros and they were both good kids. Pammon had his walk and was also a good kid. But the MANE event (you'll see what I did there...) was getting Shiny and Eros' manes back under control. They had both gotten a bit feral.

Much better! Shiny's before and after have to wait a bit as I didn't finish hers. She's not the most patient but also, it was feeding time. I decided it wasn't worth the battle. No time line on when she needs her mane to be perfect. But it is at least better than it was!
Sunday I got to have another lesson with Eros which also went great. I struggle a little with fitness in my lessons. The instructor there likes to warm us up usually on a figure 8 over two jumps, but she likes you to just keep going and going. It's tough for me with Eros because he takes both a lot of leg, and also a lot of arm and core strength. Homeboy is pretty perfect in most ways, but he is a workout! So I usually run out of strength and oxygen after the third figure eight. It's definitely challenging, and I know I just need to keep doing it to get more fit. Despite my exhaustion, it was a good ride. Eros is really listening well and helping me out when I need it. I really enjoy him! Some of the fences even got up to 2'9" so you know, things are getting pretty serious... Ha. Baby steps my friends.
I gave Shiny a bit more of a real ride on Sunday, asking her to come onto the bit and up from behind. She felt great and gave me some really nice work. And Pammon had his walk of course!
Mondays the barn is closed, and I have to be honest.... it's kind of nice having one early night during the week. I got my errands run right after work, and was home with the puggers by 7:30! So nice!
Which leads us to last night and one more rant from me... (Sorry, I think I'm starting to get annoying. I'll try to bring more sunshine and glitter to the blog next week.)
I got to the barn normal time Tuesday, but would have an early night because my stepmom is home for Thanksgiving and she is riding Eros for a couple days. So I got on Shiny straight away and had a nice ride with her. Once she was tucked back in, I got Pammon out for a grooming and his walk. Trainer decided to drag the ring after her lesson was done though and turn her three dogs loose in the ring, so that's obviously not ideal conditions for handwalking a stall resting horse. I figured she wouldn't be too long (the ring isn't all that big) so I took my time grooming him, and then started walking in the aisle while I waited. When she came back in the barn, I asked if she was done with the drag, she said yes, so I asked if it was okay to walk in there. She said, "I guess... but the lights have to go out sometime at night." Um? What? It was 7:30 you guys. 7:30! I'm usually still riding then! So I just continued to walk in the aisle. I'm not going to lie. I was PISSED. Really pissed. Like if I was my mother (who speaks before thinking on the regular) I probably would have been asked to leave. How am I supposed to give my horse the best care I can, when she's imposing a 7:30 lights out? Does my board not cover lighting the arena for the times I'm there? I swear, I'm a good boarder. I turn everything off at night when I leave. I always sweep up after myself.  I do everything they require and always ask if I'm not sure about anything at all. And I say thank you EVERYDAY to the staff and trainers. I'm not sure what more is expected of me, but boy do I feel unwelcome. So glad this is just for the winter, and I'll have my kids back home in a few months.
Sigh. End rant. Thanks for listening guys!
To lighten the mood, my socks from Dreamers and Schemers came the other day and they are AMAZING!
I think the floating Shiny face is my favorite.

So how was your week? Did you get some lessons in? Do anything exciting? Anything you're eyeing for black Friday? Thoughts on my boarding situation?

18 comments:

  1. Ugh shit like that drives me crazy - the BO in NorCal wanted to start imposing a curfew after several years of us being there and with traffic sometimes I was at the barn at 9pm riding. Like I get there when I get there and I turn it all off and it's only one for what another 30 mins 2x a week that doesn't amount to much. I just ignored her and kept on with my own schedule. Things also miff me about Trainer's and their schedule - I love my old Trainer Irene to pieces but my last year there she got really lazy with sticking around to give me lessons citing being at the barn all day. Lady you have 4 clients that take lessons during the week and its not my fault you hang out at the barn all day when there is nothing to do, stay home longer in the morning, go home during the middle of the day, you live 10 minutes away. I just stopped taking weekday lessons after that.

    I'm sorry your going through this, your previous interactions with this Trainer leave me bristling and I don't really like her lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, exactly! I mean, this is the profession they chose, and long hours is a part of that. She could hire another trainer to do evenings.
      She and I clearly aren't a good personality match. Just trying to deal with it because the indoor is nice!

      Delete
  2. I get what you are saying about the trainer- it would be really frustrating. First of all you are not responsible for the fact that she teaches at night. That's on her. If she doesn't like it she can change her life. What are you supposed to say? "I'm sorry that I want to give you money?". augh. The arena is for horses, not dogs. I wouldn't ask if it's okay to hand walk, I would just do it. But I'm old and over this shit.

    Some people just want people to be grateful all the time and usually are quite passive aggressive about it. That's up to her. It's not your job to make her happy. I get that some people would stay late and leave things on and that is probably a PITA but that should be dealt with one on one.

    I read that post about the PITA boarder. I've seen both sides of entitlement. Now I have my horses home I can only blame the drama on myself. lol.

    One more thought about Shiny. Sometimes horses get distracted and stop taking responsibility for their feet. Working on obstacles and random poles helps them to pay attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I agree with all of what you have to say. Next time I'm not asking. I was trying to be polite, and was met with a snarky comment. If she wants everything closed up by a certain time, post hours. I've asked a number of times how late is too late and don't ever get an answer other than make sure everything is off and closed up.
      Also yes, about Shiny. She DOES get lazy and distracted! I should do more rail work with her.

      Delete
  3. Once you've kept horses at home, it's hard to be a boarder, IMHO. I only had Niko at a friend's house for a few months and going back to a bigger boarding situation is tough. I just like things done a certain way (like my unclipped horse does not need to wear a sheet when it's above 50 degrees out....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AGREE! And I really do my best to deal with their way of doing things. But they can't change the rules whenever they're grumpy about something and then passive aggressively inform me of them.

      Delete
  4. So frustrating! The thing is, I get having barn hours. If you want to have barn hours, them have them, post them, and then people can decide to if they want to board or not. But just randomly deciding that lights are off at 7:30? Especially if the time before is spent with the ring being dragged? So essentially that made the ring unavailable after...7.

    As for the PITA boarders, that list just bothered me. It was almost like, don't ever complain about anything, say anything, touch anything, etc. Your horse has no water? There's a reason. Your horse has no hay? There's a reason. Your horse has no bedding? Reason. No feed? Again, reason. Don't like it, leave. But, the thing is, sometimes the boarder DOES know best. So, do you not say anything or do you speak up or do you just leave? I know some of it was intended to be funny, but I guess I'm not in a laughing mode. And the comments? Solution for everything is buy your own farm so you can have an opinion... Since I've been at a barn where my horse wasn't fed his grain that I was told he WAS being fed, the barn owner isn't always right...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY! I love rules! I just need to know what they are, and they can't change minute to minute because you're in a bad mood.
      I totally agree with you about that article. Like you're a jerk so I'm not taking care of your horse? Listen, I was a barn manager with 62 horses to look after. Some owners were... difficult. But you know what? I took care of those horses the same as all the others because those horses didn't choose their owners.
      And that's exactly it too. It's our job as horse owner to advocate for our horses. To be sure they're getting what they need. If barn owners take such offense at that, they're probably in the wrong line of work.

      Delete
  5. Ugh wtf is up with the passive aggressive crap? I would imagine you are an ideal client - paying on time, sticking to lesson schedules, cleaning up after yourself, etc. Sure, horses/boarding barns/lessons etc are a tough business, if you don't like the long days, change things up.

    Sorry you have to go through all of that, on top of paying for boarding! Some people are just not cut out to work with people...horses sure, but people? Not a good match.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think that's most of the problem. She just has terrible people skills.

      Delete
  6. ugh I am thinking of boarding Remus at the barn I ride at for a month or two this winter. AND i hadnt thought of that part of it. Tho they seem pretty laid back there. So glad Shiny seems okay and you still have Eros to ride! Love the socks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess just be very upfront about your schedule and make sure it's cool with them. I think MOST people will listen to you and work with you.

      Delete
  7. I don't know how you keep your inner thoughts to yourself dealing with the Trainer. I can't stand stuff like that.

    And that article on COTH was a bit ridiculous. If you are at a perfect barn, that always does everything 100% right, and you are being a bit of a pain, thats one thing. But is anything with horses ever 100% perfect? I left the barn I was at for several years because they weren't feeding the damn horses when it was -30*C out!. "Oh they are fine for a few hours" (horses were outdoor boarded on a round bale). It was more then a few hours, it ended up being more like a full day. It was craziness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just kept telling myself "don't be your mother, don't be your mother..."(She has no edit function what-so-ever)

      Right?! I'm sorry, but you're running a business that TAKES CARE OF ANIMALS. If you can't feed them and bed them properly, you're not doing a good job. And it's our responsibility, as owners, to advocate for our animals. I really, REALLY dislike how barn owners think they know everything and owners are idiots. We're not. And if not for us, there would be no barn.
      That's ridiculous, I'm glad you left there. The number one MOST IMPORTANT thing is to feed them!

      Delete
  8. I’m glad things with Eros are going so well! His mane looks super handsome ;) also glad Shiny is ok too. Charlie is a notorious stumbler, to the point where his first racing trainer got him a very expensive neuro work up at Purdue or some place. But nope, not neuro. Just... Charlie lol. Here’s hoping for no more episodes with Shiny tho! Also fingers crossed things smooth out with mgmt quickly. I tend to be on the side of boarders with expectations... mostly bc I’ve BEEN staff, at many barns actually, and it’s always been abundantly clear that while barns have rules and protocols etc, the horses still are privately owned and the owners are paying for a specific set of services. So ya know. It was my job to provide those services...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yeah, I think she just can be a bit clumsy. Blood work all came back good, so probably more of an attention problem than anything.
      And I really wish more barn owners thought like that. I don't understand why so many think it's okay to treat their customers with so little respect. If not for the customers, there would be no business.

      Delete
  9. Stupid blogger ate my first comment, so here goes again. I'm having my own boarding barn issues, but not nearly as bad as you. The owners of Peebs' barn are super nice and friendly, but they don't know a whole lot and some of their management practices leave something to be desired. They don't notice things, or say anything if something with the horses if off. Like Peebs had a huge swollen hind leg and they never said anything to me. And they switched hay and Peebs has super gross poop butt and again, nothing. I go out everyday, but still a text would be nice. Why is finding a good barn so hard?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, yeah that's super annoying! We had the same problem at the barn, all the horses have had poop problems from the latest batch of hay. I had to put my horses on biosponge to clear it up.
      They usually are pretty good about letting us know about things, unless it's not noticed. Which can happen.

      Delete