Wednesday, May 15, 2019

What's Up Wednesday

Wednesday already? Where does the time go? I always seem to forget how busy May is. It starts off with all the birthdays, then you have mother's day, and it just keeps going! Adding a new horse to the mix definitely makes for some long days. But not in a bad way! Anyway... Let's look back at the past week!
I spent my evenings last week grooming my boy Rio and getting things ready for Shiny's arrival. That included hanging up her new blankets and replacing the nameplates on the stalls. I replaced all of them since I wanted Eros to have one too, and Rio's was getting really beat up looking. No amount of polishing was cleaning it up.

Turnout clothes!




Empty stalls just have Winthrop Corner plates so they match the rest.
Also, I have no idea why this one random stall had different screws than all the rest.
Saturday was pretty busy. I went to ride Eros in the morning and ran a handful of errands. Came back home to tend to Mr Rio and give him lots of extra attention in his last hours as an only horse.
Also hung this blanket out to dry after I washed it, and forgot about it so it was rained on overnight. Nice work self.
I was hoping to have Shiny arrive around 1 or 2 so I could let her settle, but still have time to let her have a little time turned out. Unfortunately, she arrived closer to 4.
Me and my pony!
 I had to be looking presentable at a baby shower at 6, so I didn't really have much time to do anything with her. I wanted her to have some time to relax in her stall after the long ride rather than fuss at her right away. So I gave her some hay and water, stared at her for a bit to make sure she was cool and content, then fed them both and was off to be social at the shower.


It was kind of a bummer to have to run out the door, but what can you do? The shower was lots of fun. My friend is Peruvian and her family did most of the food. It was DELICIOUS!

I wasn't home too late, and got to check on Shiny again and Rio too of course. Everyone seemed happy, so I was content too. Phew.

Sunday was another early morning. I went to the barn first to do Eros who had broken his halter in turnout. So I lost some time getting his spare out of the bottom of our locker and adjusted. And then he was a bit of turd nugget. Not bad like when Jampy used to be a spookasaurus rex. That's not Eros' style. But he had zero interest in using himself and working on the bit through his back... you know, correctly? So we had a bit of a discussion which was pretty short because this IS Eros after all. I think I need to ride him at least once during the week. He's getting a little too content to pack my step mom around without really working himself. I think once I get Shiny settled and figured out, I'll aim to give her Wednesdays or Thursdays off and go ride Eros that evening. I don't think I'll be able to do both after work. We'll see I guess. (Anyone else think work really gets in the way of pony time?)

Anyway, after I rode Eros, I headed back home to groom Rio and Shiny. It was pouring buckets so I wasn't going to be able to work Shiny. I think we were both disappointed. She's used to overnight turnout, so coming to my place and basically getting stuck in a stall was kind of unfair to her. She did have turnout Sunday morning for a few hours, but it was pouring and she hated it. Sorry pony, I can't control the weather! She was good to groom though, and of course I grabbed some photos.
I know it's gross and dirty, but LOOK AT THIS TAIL!
I love how she's so dark on her upper legs and lower bum. Her color is really fun! I mean, those DAPPLES! She's so much smaller than my other horses though, I was surprised how little time it takes to groom her. I was kind of like, um... now what should we do?
Overall she's pretty sweet, but she does sometimes offer up the mare glare. Usually when you go to blanket her and then sometimes when she thinks you should give her a treat but you don't. She best get used to that, I mostly only treat in the feed bucket.
Once the horses were cleaned up, I was rushing off again to my brother's house for Mother's Day dinner. My mom helped my four legged kids surprise me with a cute mug with a little stuffed doggy in it and my brother's family gave me flowers because I'm a fur kid mom. It was really sweet of everyone to think of me, when I'm not a human mom.
Monday after work I had to neglect the tall kids. It was still pouring rain anyway, so I don't think they were overly offended. Maybe Shiny a little. Rio was like whatevs, just feed me dinner before you go. I had to go pick up a birthday gift for my mom and run a few other errands. I just wasn't able to get everything done over the weekend.
I was really hoping to ride last night. It wasn't supposed to rain, but guess what? Rain. As soon as I got in the car to leave work (late I might add). WHY?! My footing can handle rain pretty well, and usually drains pretty quickly, but we've had so much, it's pretty wet. Also, it's been cold. I don't mind riding in the rain so much if it's at least somewhat warm out. But it was 42 degrees when I got home yesterday. So I nixed any riding plans. Instead, I threw Shiny on a lunge line. And honestly? It was the better move. She was CRAZY! Like, holy shit, what did I buy, this thing is nuts CRAZY! But really, I can't blame her. It's freezing cold and wet, plus she's gone from lots of turnout to hardly any with no riding for three days. I'd be crazy too. I'm happy to report that despite her mild lack of manners heading out on the circle, she did not try to murder me. And she does know how to lunge. My biggest problem with both Romey and Ducky was that they were terrible to lunge and spent more time plotting my death than working on a circle. While Shiny was nuts, running (a little scary fast) and throwing some pretty big bucks, she never once pulled on me, and she mostly stayed out well on the circle. When she was half done being a nut ball she stopped and turned toward me so we could change directions. I at first wanted to make her go back out on the circle in the same direction (because she's the pony and I'm the human and I make the rules), but she seemed confused. So I was like, well let's just change directions and see what we have. She was a little rude again heading out to the circle, but didn't kick at me or anything. She proceeded to once again gallop like a mad woman and throw some more bucks. And then she took a deep breath and trotted around a bit before telling me she was all done. Ok then. I took her for a little hand walk on the dryer parts of the ring, and then brought her in to get cleaned up. And then I let her go back out and have some grass. Because I'm such a good horse mom I will stand in the rain for such things.
 You guys, she is an AGGRESSIVE grass eater! I've never seen a horse hoover grass like that! I was told they only let her out on grass every third day because she holds her weight so well. Um. I can see why!

Rio got to have a nice grooming and then ate some grass too.
It was 9pm before I knew it. Guess I have to readjust to having two horses again! Or maybe I'll move myself a little more efficiently when it's actually nice out? Probably that one.
It's finally not raining today, but it's is pretty cool and windy. My dad told me I shouldn't get on Shiny alone the first time, and I tend to think he's right after seeing her on the lunge line yesterday. So I'll probably just work her on the lunge line tonight and tomorrow. Friday I have to have an endoscopy, so I'm not sure what I'll want to do after that. They put you to sleep for it, and I usually am pretty groggy after anesthesia. But this weekend, you better believe my butt will sit on that pony! Fingers crossed she's quieter by then....

How was your past week? Did you get lots of pony time in? Go to a show? Do some shopping? What's happening with all of you guys?

4 comments:

  1. omg her tail is to die for!!! i love your stall signs too. i bought one for charlie when he moved to this new barn but it got all messed up so quickly and is practically illegible now... anyway can't wait to hear about Shiny's first ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her tail is amazing, but she pees on it! So gross!
      The signs do tarnish up. I think if you polish them regularly, they'll stay nice... but I never remember to.

      Delete