Wednesday, May 1, 2019

What's Up Wednesday

My weekend consisted of LOTS of braiding. I started Wednesday evening with just one and then I just kept going... All total, I braided 17 manes, hung four fake tails, and pulled three manes. I earned enough money to pay for my Celeris boots and still have some money left over. So it was a lucrative weekend financially. Not so much in terms of sleep however. Thursday night I slept for four hours, and Friday night? Well, I got home at 5:30 am, so I guess technically I didn't sleep Friday. I did get almost three hours of sleep in the morning though. I might be getting too old for all nighters.
The manes came out nicely though, most of them at least.









I won't post EVERY mane, but these are most of them.
Saturday I also mailed of Jampy's tail hair. I am having a belt made and a few different bracelets. I'm excited to get them back and share with you guys! I think turnaround time is about a month though, so we'll have to be patient.
After the post office, one of my good friends was hosting an adult easter egg hunt. It was so fun. She hid things like bottles of wine, candy, gift cards, and scratch off tickets. In my weakened, sleep deprived state, I wasn't terribly successful. I managed to snag a big pack of peeps (which, I love Peeps, and so does Rio so we'll share) and a scratch off ticket. Unfortunately, the scratch off was a big loser. Boo. It was still fun! And they supplied a delicious brunch as well.
Next up, I went and rode Eros, which was short and sweet to say the least. My body was so tired, I was like a limp noodle up there. Fortunately, he's perfect and we had a nice, short ride. Rio got told how pretty he was and fed at the regular intervals, but he didn't do much otherwise. I had wanted to at least take him out for grass, but it rained pretty much the whole afternoon. I managed a quick hour nap before heading back out to braid again in the evening. Thankfully, I just had two that night! And was home by 11.

I wanted to steal this one.
 Sunday morning I slept in until 9 which was glorious. A full night's sleep was just what I needed to be a human again. I went out to the barn and had a great ride on Eros. There were a bunch of poles already out, so we cantered through a line and practiced adding and subtracting strides. He was excited to be doing something similar to jumping again! I signed up for a lesson next Sunday, so we'll do some actual jumping soon! Small ones. I really want to ease him into it.
After Eros time, I made sure to give Rio extra groomies. It was raining again? Still? Hard to say for sure, but the water was still coming from the sky, and it was cold out. So instead of grazing, I just let him roam around the barn loose for awhile. He had fun and didn't break anything.

Though he did lick the trash. Horses are weird.
So funny story... during the winter when my parents were in Florida, my stepmom did a lease on a cute mare so she could keep riding. It's all she talks about- her lessons on Fifi. It's super cute. She sent me videos of their lessons and everything. Well. My dad, being my dad, just had Fifi vetted, and is getting her for my stepmom for her birthday. So Eros will have a sister over at the boarding barn soon! I'm actually excited, because I can't see her riding two horses everyday, so hopefully I'll get more saddle time again.
Everyone, meet Fifi
 I know very little about this horse, other than that she has been an absolute saint for my stepmom. She has taught Andrea (stepmom) to canter courses and everything. Can she jump 3'? I have no idea! But maybe? What breed is she? Dunno! How old? Um? I told Dad to have their Florida trainer call me so I can get all necessary info. She'll winter in Florida, but she'll be up here all summer.
So we're back to being a three horse family again. Still working on Rio's pony, but I have a couple things in the works, so stay tuned!

That's about it from here. I shall leave you with this photo of P laying on her feet:
And this shot of my Rio pillow laying on my queen sized bed for reference:
Hope you all had a good week! Tell me about it in the comments!

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very busy few days, holy heck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a lot. I was almost relived to go back to work.

      Delete
  2. That is a lot of braiding, etc.! Do you tape your fingers or something so the hair doesn't cut you?

    Quiet week for me so far. Still limping, still not much
    barn time. It is also supposed to snow today! Yikes.

    Cool about the new horse - sounds like that will free Eros up for you to ride more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, I go all natural! The hair doesn't cut me, but I can get blisters from the yarn sometimes. After a few weekends, my hands get calloused and all goes just fine.
      Hope the ankle hurries up and gets better! You have riding to do!

      Delete
  3. That appy pony is so cute - and braiding sounds so lucrative I wish I had gotten into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really sweet too. I was plotting how to fit him in the car...
      It's really good money! I'm so glad my dad made me learn.

      Delete
  4. Will you come to Ohio and braid Niko for me? Your braids are GORGEOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Sure! I may have to charge a bit more for travel time ;)
      Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Yay Fifi! And that pillow still makes me LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A mare in the family!
      The pillow is hilarious. I have zero regrets.

      Delete
  6. Fifi looks adorable. And your dad is awesome. I am so impressed with your braids. I remember spending so much time on it when I used to do hunters. Then I moved to dressage with the fat braids. Now with the running braid life is easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad is indeed awesome. He's a very generous guy.
      Thank you on the braids! The more you do, the faster it goes, but it can be tedious for sure. The running braid is so quick, but I love how it looks!

      Delete